Live in Mexico for two weeks in winter?

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Default Live in Mexico for two weeks in winter?

I live in northeast Missouri. Lately the winters have been getting
harder and harder for me to take. I get three weeks off for vacation
each year and was wondering how cheaply I could go someplace WARM in
Mexico to spend the last two weeks of Feb?

My thoughts are this....Im not wealthy enough to become a "snowbird"
and move south for several months.... but I could surely move south
for two weeks. Id stay here in Missouri till I absolutely cant take
winter any longer which would probably be by the end of Feb....and
then go "live" somewhere warm for those two weeks

When i get back in early Mar..... winter wont be over in Missouri...
but it will surely be on the decline by then. Anyway that's my logic.

So..... any advice or opinions on just how one could do this? And NOT
spend a TON of money?
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Rosalie B.

John Ramsay wrote:

wrote:

I live in northeast Missouri. Lately the winters have been getting
harder and harder for me to take. I get three weeks off for vacation
each year and was wondering how cheaply I could go someplace WARM in
Mexico to spend the last two weeks of Feb?

My thoughts are this....Im not wealthy enough to become a "snowbird"
and move south for several months.... but I could surely move south
for two weeks. Id stay here in Missouri till I absolutely cant take
winter any longer which would probably be by the end of Feb....and
then go "live" somewhere warm for those two weeks

Cozumel is pretty cheap, especially if you stay in town. You can get
trip packages which are inexpensive with flights to Cancun and then
stay in Playa del Carmen.

When i get back in early Mar..... winter wont be over in Missouri...
but it will surely be on the decline by then. Anyway that's my logic.

So..... any advice or opinions on just how one could do this? And NOT
spend a TON of money?

The way to not spend a ton of money is to tent camp,
cook meals on a camp stove, etc.

How warm do you want to be? Corpus Christi, Texas might
be warm enough.

If you want warmer you'll have to drive over to Mexico's
Atlantic coast and then south, which will cost more
in gas, motels along the way, etc.

Central northern Mexico is mountainous and cold at night.

I spent Jan - March in Chihuahua and it got down to 30
at night. High 50's - low 60's in the afternoon.

Still better than my usual winter in the Buffalo NY area -

grandma Rosalie
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:44 PM

The way to not spend a ton of money is to tent camp,
cook meals on a camp stove, etc.

Yep....Ive thought abt that and am not against it....tent camping that
is. However....if I could find a small cabin at a good rate that
would work as well

How warm do you want to be? Corpus Christi, Texas might
be warm enough.

Well it doesn't have to be Mexico. But I definitely want to stay
somewhere that is s"summer-like" in dead of winter. Warm waters,
shorts for daily wear.

The only two places I thought it might be that warm in the US would be
the Florida Keys and maybe as you say far south Texas such as South
Padre Island. But Ive never been those places either.

Does it get THAT warm in these two US places? I just assumed Id have
to go even farther south to get THAT warm..... i.e. Mexico

If you want warmer you'll have to drive over to Mexico's
Atlantic coast and then south, which will cost more
in gas, motels along the way, etc.

How abt the Baja area? Someone in another thread mentioned Mazatlan
Mexico. Maybe that would be cheap enough?

Central northern Mexico is mountainous and cold at night.

I spent Jan - March in Chihuahua and it got down to 30
at night. High 50's - low 60's in the afternoon.

Wow. Im curious what where you doing in that area?

Still better than my usual winter in the Buffalo NY area -

Yeah no doubt! No offense but you couldn't get me to move to Buffalo
for no amt of money!!! Im in north Missouri and it gets plenty cold
and snowy here thank you. Haha
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Bobby

I spent the first 30 years of my life in St. Louis....so I understand
your thoughts.

First, recognize that hotel and food will be your largest expenses. Do
you need hot water? Probably yes. Room service? No.

I recommend Isla Mujeres (near Cancun), Puerto Vallarta, or Acapulco.

Acapulco is probably the cheapest to stay at (hotels with AC for
$25/night), but the most for air fare.

Get the travel book "Let's Go" or "The South American Handbook" by
Footprint.

My daughter and I stayed in Acapulco for less than $40/day two years
ago.

Have a great trip.

Bobby

In article ,
says...

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:52 PM

Cozumel is pretty cheap, especially if you stay in town. You can get
trip packages which are inexpensive with flights to Cancun and then
stay in Playa del Carmen.

Well.....actually Im going to take a "vacation" to that are over July
4. Im staying in Bahia Principe Tulum on Riveria Maya area.... south
of Cancun

Im taking my 18 yr old nephew with me as a graduation present for him.
However four nights stay cost $1600.

How would it be possible to stay in this are for two whole weeks under
$1000? I would do it but it has to be cheap.

I don't mind spending $1600 on this upcoming vacation because it will
be in a resort area and is a "gift" to my nephew.... but this is a one
time thing

If I intend to escape winter every year just by myself it would have
to be CHEAP... say under $1000 for travel, shelter, and food.

Is that possible in the Playa Del Carma area??
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Juliana L Holm

What about doing one of the little grass shack hotels on the beach in
Tulum. Don Armando's Cabanas. Very cheap.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:12 AM

What about doing one of the little grass shack hotels on the beach in
Tulum. Don Armando's Cabanas. Very cheap.

Julie

Julie.... .I didn't know anything abt them!!

I will check them out when Im down there in July!

However in the meantime can you tell me more abt them?
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:20 AM

I spent the first 30 years of my life in St. Louis....so I understand
your thoughts.

First, recognize that hotel and food will be your largest expenses. Do
you need hot water? Probably yes. Room service? No.

I recommend Isla Mujeres (near Cancun), Puerto Vallarta, or Acapulco.

Acapulco is probably the cheapest to stay at (hotels with AC for
$25/night), but the most for air fare.

Get the travel book "Let's Go" or "The South American Handbook" by
Footprint.

My daughter and I stayed in Acapulco for less than $40/day two years
ago.

Have a great trip.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby!!

And yes im only two hrs north of St Louis.... in Hannibal
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Juliana L Holm

Sure

They are grass shacks right on the beach. Located on the road that goes along
the water just south of the ruins in Tulum (although iirc, you cannot drive
straight from the ruins, you have to get back to the road, take the next left
to get there.)

Don Armandos had stone beds with mattresses and/or hammocks. I slept on the bed, my daughter in the hammock.

No electricity; you can get a battery operated camp lantern that works just
great.

A great big step above camping, but still very basic. I think we paid less than $10 US a night. They now run $20 to $30 a night depending on season (I was there off season, in June)

There is some discussion of them for the first night of my trip to Playa del
Carmen in 1996 on my web site. They are popular with backpackers and hostellers (you might look into hostels too).

Some are very nice, some are filthy. I went with my hubby a couple years
later and stayed one night in one of the latter. Get there early in the day to get the best (I'd plan on an inexpensive hotel somewhere the first night so you can get to the Cabanas early. Most do not take reservations, and
the best "sell out" by noon.). Make sure you see not only the cabana you
will be staying in but also the shower.

Don Armandos had a bar and restaurant, others may not. Be careful of drinks with ice in them and water; you can get diahrea but mixed drinks without ice and canned and bottled drinks are fine.

It's what I would do if I were in your situation.

Julie