Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

Old October 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

We will be having a four day stop-over in KL on our way to Auckland. Any
suggestions of a good inexpensive, but comfortable place to stay? Any horror
stories?

Is it easy to use the metro to travel around KL? I like to avoid taxis if
possible!

If you had four days there, what would you make sure to fit in?

What is the best way to and from the airport?

If you had a choice, would you stop-over in KL, or Singapore - and why? I
imagine that KL is cheaper, but is it really?

--
The happiest people on earth are those few fortunates who seem to be in a
state of mild, stable hypomania. - David Horrobin 'The Madness of Adam and

Old October 30th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Pan

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:10:50 +0200, "Peter H.M. Brooks"
wrote:

We will be having a four day stop-over in KL on our way to Auckland. Any
suggestions of a good inexpensive, but comfortable place to stay?

What's "inexpensive"?

Any horror
stories?

Not from me, though I'll note that it can be rough to walk on some
major streets like Jalan Raja Chulan because of car exhaust.

Is it easy to use the metro

That's the LRT

to travel around KL?

Yes, it's easy, but not all of KL is accessible that way.

I like to avoid taxis if
possible!

Then you'll be walking a lot.

If you had four days there, what would you make sure to fit in?

Walk a lot, spend time in Chinatown, go to Muzium Negara, eat a lot of
wonderful food.

What is the best way to and from the airport?

Simple: Take the KLIA Ekspres.

If you had a choice, would you stop-over in KL, or Singapore - and why? I
imagine that KL is cheaper, but is it really?

Can't help you; I haven't been to Singapore since 1976.

Have fun!

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old October 30th, 2003, 02:39 PM
hvpl

I do have some problems trying to advise people in this post. They should
tell their preferences, budget, travelling style to receive meaningful
advice.

Good value accomodation is relative depending whether you are a backpacker
or insist on luxury 4- or 5-stars. Both countries have good choices. There
are generally no horror stories in either city but if you insist on pushing
your luck by staying in red light districts ..................

Moving about Kuala Lumpur (KL) is more difficult than Singapore.

Singapore is well served with efficient public transport that is an envy of
many major cities. Taxi drivers are kept honest by no-nonsense taxi company
officials & the Singapore Tourist Board.

Kuala Lumpur is catching up with 3 (now, I believe) rail-based public
transport systems that cover the major parts of this spread out city & its
suburbs. Taxis are still notorious but improving. You'll need to be firm
with them. Walking about is a good option but you'll need to be able to
handle the hot or wet weather. You'll easily find someone that speaks &/or
understand English to direct you, should you loose your way.

If you like to visit buildings, then take one of the many city tours. If you
wish to REALLY experience KL & Spore, take public transport & talk up the
locals. Explain to them what you like to do & where to enjoy our varied
cuisine & drinks. This way you can truly say that you have been to Spore or
Kuala Lumpur!

KLIA Express is the most convenient way from KL Sentral station. MRT if you
don't have to much luggage. The taxi from most parts of the city to Changi
Airport is about S$15.

Both cities have rather cheap food at food courts or hawker centres, that we
locals eat (S$5/RM10 for a really full meal). Walk into a cafe or
restaurant, be prepared to pay up to S$20/RM50. Fine dining restaurants can
set you back over S$100/RM250, including wine.

Shopping for local craft or handiwork is better & more genuine in KL. Buy if
you are happy with the price.

By the way, many people that you'll meet do write & (speak) as I do. I am an
ordinary Malaysian working in Singapore. Do enjoy either city!

Old October 30th, 2003, 04:08 PM
EAC

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:10:50 +0200, "Peter H.M. Brooks"
wrote:
Is it easy to use the metro

Pan wrote in message . ..
That's the LRT

to travel around KL?

Yes, it's easy, but not all of KL is accessible that way.

There's around four urban rail services in Kuala Lumpur (five if you
count the KLIA Ekspres), while these might not covered most of Kuala
Lumpur (if you want a city like that, try Tokyo), it does cover some
places of interest in Kuala Lumpur and its surrounding areas, these
rail services a

The PUTRA and STAR LRT (Light Rail Transit):

www.putra.com.my

The Monorail line:

www.monorail.com.my

The KTM Komuter:

www.ktmb.com.my

The KLIA Ekspres:

www.kliaekspres.com

Here's a map of the four/five urban rail services in Kuala Lumpur:

http://www.monorail.com.my/network.gif

It should be noted that the ticketing system sfor all of these four
services aren't compatible each other, at least so far I know. However
in the future, the smart card "Touch 'n' Go" (similiar to Hong Kong's
Octopus, Singapore's EZ-Link, Tokyo/JR East's SUICa, London's Oyster,
and so on) will probably be used for all network. In the future
though, NOT in the near future.

More on the urban rail services of Kuala Lumpur:

http://www.stesensentral.com/integ_rail/index.htm

KL Sentral provide the center of all rail services in Kuala Lumpur, it
looks more like an airport than a train station.

I like to avoid taxis if
possible!

Then you'll be walking a lot.

Definetly, a car is necessary Kuala Lumpur. Kuala Lumpur is car city.

What is the best way to and from the airport?

Simple: Take the KLIA Ekspres.

It's a 57 km train ride from KLIA to KL Sentral using the KLIA
Ekspres. So... KLIA basically is in another city, The name Kuala
Lumpur International Airport is a misnomer if it's refering to its
place of residence. Though KLIA is only named that way probaby it's
now Kuala Lumpur's only international airport.

It also should be noted that since Kuala Lumpur is a car city, its car
traffic is also quite congested.

It also should be noted that Putrajaya, the new government center of
Malaysia lies between KL Sentral and KLIA. It can be reached using the
non-express version of the KLIA Ekspres, which is the KLIA Transit.

If you had a choice, would you stop-over in KL, or Singapore - and why? I
imagine that KL is cheaper, but is it really?

Can't help you; I haven't been to Singapore since 1976.

Singapore has a better public transportation than Kuala Lumpur.

The MRT (Mass Rapid Transit), the busses, the taxies will provide
transportation to almost anywhere. And also since it's a self
contained small island, travelling around Singapore wouldn't take much
effort.

And yes, Kuala Lumpur seems to be cheaper than Singapore (imagine
Singapore is Disneyworld in the form of a country). Though Johor Bahru
a few kilometers from Singapore is also cheaper.

Have fun!

Michael

Old October 30th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
Hotel Season's View, Jalan Alor. No horror stories

I really like this place (they're very friendly and the location can't be
beat) but the lower floors are a bit roachy. Try to get a room near the top.

The major sights of KL (Petronas towers, Chinatown, Lake Gardens

Including the Bird Park, which is really great.

If you had a choice, would you stop-over in KL, or Singapore - and why? I
imagine that KL is cheaper, but is it really?

KL is more pleasant.

KL is also substantially cheaper. And it's more interesting than Singapore.
More hectic and polluted too. If it were me I'd definitely choose KL, but
someone who wants a more sterile experience might not prefer it.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

EAC wrote:
Definetly, a car is necessary Kuala Lumpur. Kuala Lumpur is car city.

You think? I've spent a lot of time there (at least 10 visits stretching out
into weeks) and have never felt the slightest need for a car. I think I've
used a taxi a total of 5 times.

It also should be noted that since Kuala Lumpur is a car city, its car
traffic is also quite congested.

Which is why other methods are faster than driving.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old October 30th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Sjoerd

"Miguel Cruz" schreef in bericht
Alfred Molon wrote:
Hotel Season's View, Jalan Alor. No horror stories

I really like this place (they're very friendly and the location can't be
beat) but the lower floors are a bit roachy. Try to get a room near the

top.

The major sights of KL (Petronas towers, Chinatown, Lake Gardens

Including the Bird Park, which is really great.

Having visited the bird parks in both KL and Singapore in the last 2 years,
the Singapore bird park is *much* better than the one in KL.

Sjoerd