Backpack, Hip pack, other?

Old February 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM
DBrave

Default Backpack, Hip pack, other?

Hey.. very odd question here..

I am trying to figure out what to bring besides my big travel backpack?
Would anyone recommenda full daypack backpack? Has anyone travelled
w/ one of the newer hip packs (that hold a decent amount)? What do
you carry around the city??

Thx.
Dave

Old February 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Geodyne

"DBrave" wrote in
oups.com:

Hey.. very odd question here..

I am trying to figure out what to bring besides my big travel
backpack?
Would anyone recommenda full daypack backpack? Has anyone travelled
w/ one of the newer hip packs (that hold a decent amount)? What do
you carry around the city??

I would avoid a bumbag, as it screams "I am a tourist".

I travel with a largish daypack as my main luggage (because I like not
having to check luggage), and carry a smaller lightweight daypack which
folds down into its own pocket to use when walking around. I find it's
large enough to carry a camera, snack, guidebook and bottle of water,
and versatile enough that I use it often at home as well as when
travelling.

I think the brand I bought is called "Go", but Korjo also make one.

Geodyne

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:46 AM

Geodyne wrote:
"DBrave" wrote in
oups.com:
I am trying to figure out what to bring besides my big travel
backpack?

I would avoid a bumbag, as it screams "I am a tourist".

For that matter, so will his pants/shorts--they won't be cut in the
seat like an Aussie's. And any labels on his clothing or pack--they
won't be Aussie brands. And his accent. And...

Unless things have REALLY changed since my last visit, it's OK to be a
tourist in Australia--and to look like one, too. I carried either a
daypack or a "field bag" (oversized bumbag), both, or neither,
depending on the activities of the day or the particular outing. Oh,
and occasionally a camera around my neck as well. Didn't stop me from
having a good time, and somehow I escaped being tarred and feathered by
the Ministry of Antitourism and its rabid lackeys. Bring what works for
you.

Nancy

Old February 17th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Peter

In article .com,
says...
Unless things have REALLY changed since my last visit, it's OK to be a
tourist in Australia--and to look like one, too.

Tourists are easy to spot. It's the way they behave as much as the way
they dress, or what they carry, or the way they dress. Just the fact
that they are out and about at tourist attractions while normal people
are at work or school is a bit of a giveaway.

I don't think too many people thought I was a local when I was in
Washington a couple of weeks ago, even though what I was wearing and
carrying was mainly made in the US. I didn't mind at all - people were
helpful and didn't assume that I knew the easiest ways to get around.

Of course it depends what you are doing, but when I'm out looking at
things I want something big enough to carry a guidebook, map, camera,
warm clothing (either to put on when it gets cold or take off when it
warms up), cap, journal, book, maybe something to eat and drink. I have
a small pack that I can sling over my shoulder or carry in my hand, or
in emergency strap on my back. It has pockets on the inside for little
stuff like lip balm, sunscreen, pens, spare batteries and so on. There's
too much to carry in my pockets and a bum pack can get a bit crowded.

I also like to collect leaflets, postcards and stuff - I paste them into
my travel journal for a great souvenir at the end of the trip - and I
need somewhere to carry this sort of stuff.

Horses for courses, but I'd suggest a bag that is light enough to be
comfortable, but big enough to hold what you need without having to rush
back to your hotel or buy emergency supplies.

Pete