Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:33 AM
CorSter

ah yes. I remember seeing it from my ship when i was on Vision of the
Seas 2 years ago...

there was also a Sam's Club there if i recall correctly

Don & Lynn wrote:

There is a Wal-Mart near the dock in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Several crew
members have told us that it is more expensive than the Wal-Marts in the
US.

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Chip

you get the "Mac". Besides, no matter where the McDonalds is located,
it's
almost always cheaper than the local joints if all you want is a quick
lunch.

If you can afford to go on a cruise, you can afford to spend a couple of
bucks more and eat at someplace other than McDonalds. My guess is that
people like the food there, and that is why they chose to eat there.

Why you would travel that far to eat a Big Mac, I don't know...

Old March 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM
John Chapman

Good Lord, you must be thinking of my wife and me! I can't explain
why but it just seems like the most natural thing in the world to hone
in on the local Wal-Mart wherever we travel. Maybe it's the same
instinct as migrating birds or spawning salmon. More seriously, we've
found the Wal-Marts in both Hilo and Kona to have a fair selection of
Hawaiian shirts. Not as extensive as Hilo Hatties, mind, but much
cheaper. And, yes, Kailua Kona is a great little walking town if only
to enjoy the beautiful flowers and plants. Wish I was there right
now! Cheers. JOHN

Old March 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM
LeeNY

pfriedmanNoSpam wrote:

I've never hit a WallMart in port,

I've never hit one on land either - bad company. They won't get any of
my $$.

but I have certainly gone to drug stores,
supermarkets, etc. Usually it is because I forgot to pack something

(shaving
cream, etc.) and I don't like what the ship offers for this item.

I love going to "super"markets when I travel too, but just to browse. I
love seeing what kinds of things are on the shelves that we can't get
at home, and what products from home they do carry. I always fantasize,
browsing the shelves in an exotic locale, whether I'd be able to make
do with the offerings if we decided to live there. And, it's a great
opportunity to try some new things. I'll bring home fun snacks for our
friends' kids - stuff that they can't get in the states.

Lee

This is usually at a port in which I have little interest or one I

have been
to many times. It never happens in Kona though -- there the problem

is: to
the volcano or to the botanical garden north of the town.

On my last cruise (LA - Hong Kong), the ship stopped in Honolulu.

I've been
there quite often, don't particularly like the city and didn't feel

like
driving to the North Coast. So, I hit a used book store and then went

back
on board and read. grin

Paul

Old March 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
pfriedmanNoSpam

"LeeNY" wrote in message
oups.com...
pfriedmanNoSpam wrote:

I've never hit a WallMart in port,

I've never hit one on land either - bad company. They won't get any of
my $$.

but I have certainly gone to drug stores,
supermarkets, etc. Usually it is because I forgot to pack something

(shaving
cream, etc.) and I don't like what the ship offers for this item.

I love going to "super"markets when I travel too, but just to browse. I
love seeing what kinds of things are on the shelves that we can't get
at home, and what products from home they do carry. I always fantasize,
browsing the shelves in an exotic locale, whether I'd be able to make
do with the offerings if we decided to live there. And, it's a great
opportunity to try some new things. I'll bring home fun snacks for our
friends' kids - stuff that they can't get in the states.

Lee

Ya, I do that, too. Not in Hawaii, though. grin

Christmas Island was interesting. The "super" market was very educational --
7 bottles of beer (one was a Bud for some reason, about 12 cans of beans,
etc. Cape Verde Island was also particularly interesting for similar
reasons - much better stocked than Christmas Island, but only the basics.

Paul