Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 27th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Bob Gow

[Rant mode selected]
I have been to a few and quality and selection wise, they are for
bottom feeders. Yes, the prices are very low, but there are tradeoffs
for those low prices. Add on that they tend to drive wages down,
drive out smaller retailers and cater to the christain right on media
selection and I see little reason to throw money away there. Having
said that, Wal-mat (Volder-mart for those Harry Potter fans) does
provide low prices to bottom tier wage earners (who likely work at
Wal/Volder-mart because there are no other jobs available in the
area). Like dung beetles or carrion-eaters, they do have their place
in the economic ecology.
[Rant mode deselected]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:40:08 GMT, (Karen
Segboer) wrote:

Charles wrote:

In article , E.k.R.
wrote:

Good question Scott. Frankly I think that would be a complete waste of
precious time spent ashore. Personally I would not step foot in a Wal-Mart
while I'm home (can't stand the place) so I sure as hell wouldn't visit one
while on vacation.

I stepped into one last year to return an item I had purchased from
their online store, as they suggested. I agree, yuck. I would avoid
visiting one from home or on a cruise.

Interesting thread. I've never been in a Wal-Mart and always wanted
to go to one; in fact, I just discovered there's one up the highway
and I plan on visiting soon, just to look around. Wal-Mart's building
a new store in our neck of the woods, too.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews ®
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Bob Gow
"Experience is what you get when
you expected something else."
Old March 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

--

There are places in the country where it's the only game in town. In a lot
of rural places, people travel hours to get to a Wal-mart.

On the other hand, in places like here in NJ... the ones we have attract
rather a different clientele than stores like Lord & Taylor or Nordstrom's.
The ones we have are the bottom of the food chain. Much lower than the
likes of K-Mart, Kohls, Sears, etc. And apparently they pay their people so
little, that when employees are hired, they're given instructions on how to
apply for food stamps. And if any talk of unions surface, stores are
immediately closed.

The one we have in the next town over... you basically want to take a shower
after you leave.

--Tom

Old March 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old March 27th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Scott W

Peggy wrote:
You call a lot of people ?????

The buss runs all day long. Given that it is Wal-Mark even 10 would
seem like a lot, but it is much more then that.

Scott

Old March 27th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Scott W

Tom K wrote:

[...]

I am less then happy with Wal-Mart's political views and in the
mainland I try to avoid them. But here in Kona they are about the only
game in town for any number of things. Our Wal-Mart is clean and well
lit, not at all what we see on the mainland. What we really need here
is an Office Max, have to go to the other side of the island for that.

But people, if you are in Kona this is no need to go to Wal-Mark.
There is a ABC store just about 100 feet from the pier, you can get
most of what you need there. For buying things like shirts, sure
Wal-Mart will be cheaper but a walk down Ali'I drive will bring you
by stores with much better shirts and much more verity. If you need
something there are people right there at the pier to help direct you
to what you need, or ask just about anybody on the street.

Scott