My Windjammer Cruise (LONG)

Old April 5th, 2005, 12:36 AM
JCZ

Default My Windjammer Cruise (LONG)

I returned late Saturday night (early Sunday morning actually) from my
Virgin Islands cruise on the S.V. Legacy. It was a really wonderful
cruise that went something like this:

I meant to get up at 3:30 am on Easter morning, but woke at 3:00 am
because I was so excited I guess. I had a 7:00 am flight, and I live a
ways from the airport. I left at 4:30, got to the airport about 5:45,
parked and waited.....and waited......and waited for the shuttle. I
finally called them on the cell phone and was picked up along with the
few others who were waiting around. So it was after 6:15 am when I got
into the airport, but I checked in at the curb and got through
security easily and then onto the flight which went from Detroit to
Miami and then from Miami to St. Thomas where the Legacy was docked. I
got into Miami and off to St. Thomas, arriving about 4:00 p.m. There
was a guy at the airport with a sign which said Legacy, and I told him
my name. He said to get my luggage and go outside and get on the
transfer bus, which I did. As soon as I got on the bus, I began
chatting with fellow passengers -- Mary, a teacher from Ohio, and
Joyce and Geoff, a retired couple from Toronto who winter in Florida.
They laughed saying their grandkids never met anyone who vacationed
from their vacation. s

Boarding was simple. We went into the diningroom and one of the crew,
Bob, helped us with the few papers we had to fill out. Then it was out
to the quarter deck where we submitted our paperwork, passports and
escorted to our cabins. I had cabin 102 on A deck (below) and right at
the bow. It was a small cabin of course, but very efficient. I really
liked it except for one thing. There was a really disgusting --
DISGUSTING -- sewer gas smell in the bathroom. Nothing seemed to
help -- not closing the toilet lid, running the water, running the
shower -- nothing. So I told the cabin steward. He apologized, but
when I got back to the cabin later, it was still really stinky. The
steward, to his credit, put a "plug-in" deodorizer in the room, but it
didn't do anything but add to the miasma....so now it smelled like
poop with a perfume smell on top. GAG. I had to unplug the plug-in
thing at night because it was too strong. I tried to ignore it but it
was hard to do. Most of the time it worked, except for one night when
I just couldn't sleep. I took my bedding up to the poopdeck but the
chaise lounge with pad up there just wasn't comfortable enough and I
gave up and went back to the poopcabin s. I finally did fall asleep.
After that night (that was the second night), I really slept well, and
I think it was all the sun I got. The mattress was very comfortable
and I had two pillows. There was a little reading light over the bed
which worked well (I like to read in bed) and a rather obnoxious
fluorescent light fixture on the wall, which I only used when I needed
to look for something. There was a small cabinet on the wall with lots
of hangers (I think I used 3 of them) and a night stand built in with
3 very small drawers. There was a small space under the bed to store
the empty suitcase. Nothing locks. The door in the room doesn't lock.
I knew that ahead of time. If you have anything of value, it's best to
bring a suitcase lock and lock it inside your suitcase, I would guess.
I didn't lock anything up and nothing was ever touched. The cabin was
kept spotlessly clean with fresh linens every single day and fresh
towels if I decided I wanted them with the "on the floor" signal.

Our captain was Brent, and he was really nice, knowledgeable and
serious about his job while still being laid back enough to make
things fun. He dropped the swim ladder a couple of times and let
people swim off the ship. I thought that was cool and almost swam the
second day, but the evening after the first day that the ladder was
down we were in Tortola, and I was looking into the water from the
poopdeck where the spotlight from the launch platform was. We were
amazed to see some really BIG sharks down there. Capt. Brent told us
the next day that they wouldn't bother us, but I just decided not to
swim there. The activities director was a young lady of 23 years
who was very efficient and very energetic. She's leaving after this
week for other pastures. The photographer was Dario. He took pictures
all week of things we did and puts them on a CD if you wish to
purchase it. First mate was Bob from Canada, and safety officer was
David also from Canada and both really nice guys. Chef was "Strokey,"
from Guyana who was really a talented chef, and purser was Laurie who
ran the ship's store called the Sea Chest.

The food was really really good. I had no complaints whatsoever. I
fully expected the food to taste like buffet food, but it didn't. It
was really excellent and while not given the choices one is given on a
big cruise ship, what was served was every bit as appetizing and
tasty. We were usually given two or three choices each evening. The
first night was a buffet, but it was much better than any buffet food
I have ever eaten. All the breads and cakes are baked fresh everyday,
and all were really good to heavenly. I ate way more than I should've,
and am now on half rations again and in the midst of withdrawal. s

Our itinerary was Monday to Water Island where we sailed Monday
morning early. Tuesday was to St. John and we sailed there in the
evening and anchored overnight. Wednesday morning we sailed for
Tortola -- another overnight anchorage. On Thursday morning we sailed
for Virgin Gorda. Thursday evening we sailed for Norman Island where
we anchored overnight. Friday evening we sailed for St. Thomas.

Monday: Water Island is a nice little beach. My interest is mainly
snorkeling so that is pretty much all I did the entire week with a few
shopping expeditions added in. Water Island was a good first stop -- a
wet landing. It gave everyone a chance to enjoy the warm weather and
the beautiful beach and get used to their snorkel gear. Most people
rented it on board, but I always bring my own. My new friend Mary and
I snorkeled around together and found some interesting sites
underwater.

Tuesday: I took an excursion on a snorkel boat with a guy named Ben
and his lady whose name I cannot recall and their dog Romeo. We went
out to a reef off of one of the islands -- it was a reef between
Congo and Lovango -- and were shown what area we could stay in and be
safe. The reef was so huge that you could really not explore the whole
thing. After about an hour, we were all back in the boat and drinking
rum and Ben stopped at another spot and told us we could snorkel some
more if we wished, just swim or stay on the boat. Of course, I chose
to snorkel again. It was another great reef. The water was about 10
feet deep I would guess. Lots of good fish and coral. Tuesday
afternoon, Mary and I did a little shopping in St. John. Tuesday
evening a bunch of people went over to Duffy's on St. John. I was
beat, and I am happily married and traveling alone, and I was not into
the party scene thing so I stayed on board. I did take a night launch
over to St. John though to find a pay phone because my cell phone
didn't work at all once I left the US mainland. I caled home and all
was well.

Wednesday: I wanted to take a catamaran snorkel trip to Peter Island,
but there were so many people signed up that they would only be able
to take 40. I was #41. I was so disappointed, but Kristina told me to
show up on the dock and almost positively someone wouldn't show and I
could go. In the meantime, I went over to Tortola with Mary. We were
going to shop some, but our first stop was Pusser's Rum Factory
because Mary wanted to buy her son a t-shirt. We went in, chatted with
a guy on the HAL Zuiderdam which was docked there, and then did some
shopping. At the cashier's counter, they had some grog and rum
samples. I tried one. (It was only 10:30 am) It was soooooo good. I
said to Mary, "I'd really like to sit down at the bar and order a grog
or something, but it's kind of early." Well, Mary was cool. She
reminded me that it was 5:00 pm somewhere -- lol. So we both sat down
to the bar and had a grog and a painkiller. We were good though. We
just went with a painkiller #2. s So we never really DID make it in
to Tortola to shop. We had to go back to get lunch and then get to the
catamaran dock. During lunch one of the passengers came up and told me
she was signed up for the catamaran trip but was too seasick to go,
and that I should tell Kristina that I was taking her spot. I thought
that was very nice. Her roommate had just overheard me saying I wanted
to go but was #41. I did go to the dock, and there were several people
who didn't show up, so I got to go. It was just awesome. I have never
seen such a beautiful and HUGE reef. There was no way you could see it
all. After awhile, we got back on and headed back. We were late
getting back, but the ship waited for us. When we got back I played
Sea Hunt. It was silly but fun. My team came in second. This was the
costume party night. I didn't dress up -- it's just not me, but I
enjoyed watching all the crazy fun-loving people do so.

Thursday: We are at Virgin Gorda. Mary and I decided to buy a
round-trip transfer ticket to The Baths. We also had each chosen to do
another snorkel expedition to The Dogs in the afternoon. We went to
The Baths in the morning, and it was just stunning. I couldn't get
over how beautiful it was there. The only problem was that it was way
too rough to do any snorkeling and not get bashed into the rocks. Even
just standing in the water, I got thrown so hard sideways that I
injured my left knee joint. It hurt for the whole balance of the trip,
but it was worth it I think just to look at that beautiful place.
However, even though I had plans to climb the rocks a bit, I changed
my mind when I was gimping so badly with the sore knee that I couldn't
even walk right on a flat surface. Mary tried it and said they were
really slippery, so she chickened out too. Instead we sat around and
watched the scene. One woman took off her bikini top. We thought it
maybe had washed away in the strong surf, but no, she meant it that
way. We watched the older guys -- one in a speedo even...LOL -- walk
by and it was fun to watch their expressions as they passed. HAHAHA.
Also I struck up a nice conversation with a couple from the north of
England. She was painting a watercolor of The Baths in her notebook
while we chatted, and it was really good. I can't remember which ship
they said they were on, but it was a smaller one and one I hadn't
heard of before -- a P & O ship. Just about as we were ready to leave
the crowds started coming in from the QM2 and the Zuiderdam.
YIKES....hoardes of people streaming down the path. I was glad we were
leaving. We had gotten very spoiled being isolated from this sort of
thing for most of the trip. Almost every island we visited or every
snorkel site we visited we were the only group amongst a few others --
but no huge crowds until here. We got back to the ship, had lunch and
went to our last snorkeling expedition. This was with Don on his
motorboat. He was a wonderful guy. The water was rough, but we went
anyway and he said it was okay just not to get too close to the rocks.
The coral was beautiful, as always. Our second stop was another coral
reef. It looked like tree seedlings were floating on the water, but
when I looked at them with my mask they were pulsating and alive. Don
said they were baby jellyfish. I knew momma must be somewhere not too
far, but I ignored my trepidation and just enjoyed my snorkel. Out
aways in the deeper water was a plane that had gone down sometime
back. You could still see the fuselage. I didn't swim out to it, as I
was getting tired and cold. Mary decided to go for it. When she got
back she said, "Something hurt the back of my leg. It really really
stings!" We told her to turn around and she had a whip mark from a
jellyfish on it. Don poured vinegar on it. When we asked her if it
helped she said not as much as the rum drinks did. s We got back
late, so Don just took us straight to the ship. Around 6:00 pm the
Legacy sailed for Norman Island.

Thursday night the chef and staff had prepared a delicious bbq for us
which we ate on deck. It was HUGE juicy ribs and bbq chicken, lots of
other fixins and chocolate eclairs for dessert. It was so good. After
dinner lots of people decided to launch over to Pirates on Norman
Island for drinks and dancing. Again, I decided to stay on ship. I was
worn out again and just wanted to read my book on the poopdeck. (Okay,
I know I sound like a deadass, but I took this trip because of all the
stress I have had in the past year and I really was worn out before I
even began.) They were showing 'Pirates of the Caribbean' on the main
deck down the steps. The crew hung up a big huge canvas to project it
on. Lots of people stayed on and watched it. I read and then did my
shark watching mentioned earlier. It was a fun evening for me.

Friday: I wanted to get on a launch to Norman Island for snorkeling
off the beach. Mary was very badly hung over s and wanted to stay on
board and read. I got over to Norman Island about 9:30 or so and found
a patch of shade. I geared up and went out snorkeling. The coral was
great there -- close to the surface in spots and you could really see
it well. The water was incredibly clear this day. I snorkeled on and
off all day long. At lunchtime the crew brought a picnic lunch over on
a launch. It was home-made bread (still warm from the oven in the
center), pasta salad, cole slaw, tuna salad, cold cuts, relishes and
fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies. I supplemented that with a couple
of mango coladas from the bar. s It was a great day....so relaxing
and beautiful. Norman Island is uninhabited except for people who
launch over to work at the bar. In the morning it was just us
Windjammers. By afternoon there were lots of sailing vessels and
catamarans and motor boats anchored off shore. Still it never felt
crowded. I went back to the ship about 3:30 pm.

Saturday: We were to be out of our cabins by 8:30 a.m. They served us
a nice breakfast. If we were staying on the ship until the last
transfer at noon (I was) they also served us lunch, which I thought
was really decent of them. The transfer took me to the airport at noon
where I waited in lines for check-in and customs for 2-1/2 hours.
(OMG....it was insane.) I had sort of planned on going to Sapphire
Beach for the day but by the time Saturday came I was really fried
from all the sun the day before, exhausted and just wanted to get
home, so I just hung out at the airport for awhile. My plane got to
Miami on time. I had to literally RUN to the gate for my connection
home. The gate was pretty far apart from where I had flown in from St.
Thomas, but I made it. My suitcase didn't however. It was delivered to
our house yesterday though.

Overall this was one of the best trips of my life. I had a wonderful
time. The passengers on the ship were really nice people. I didn't see
any jerks -- not one. Everyone was really polite. No one "saved
chairs." Everyone was welcoming. If I would approach a group of diners
and say, "May I join you?" each time I was welcomed with smiling
hellos and hospitality. There were lots of "Where are you from? What
do you do? My name is __________. What's yours?" kinds of conversation
the first couple of days and then we pretty much knew most of the
people on board. The passengers watched their kids and followed the
captain's orders of no running, no smoking inside any of the rooms on
the ship, etc. etc. I don't know WHY the passengers were so cool. Was
I just lucky this week? Or is it always like this? I met some
wonderfully interesting people.

I was advised not to bring my hair dryer by one of the kind posters on
this newsgroup. I kind of understand why, but I DID bring it, and I'm
glad I did because there were a couple of times when I really did want
to try to look "normal." s However there were lots of times when I
just gooed it up with gel after my shower and didn't care, too. The
crew were great from the captain on down. They really knew what they
were doing. We were on a launch getting ready to get back on the ship
when a HUGE wave came up. The launch crew saw it coming and hurried us
away from the ladder so we wouldn't get slammed into it. None of us
saw it but they did. One time I forgot to return my boarding card (the
plastic card they give you with your cabin number on it when you get
off the ship) when I got back on. I went to my cabin and got into the
shower. They were calling me to return it over the PA system, but I
couldn't hear it in the shower. After I got out, someone was knocking
on the door. They were very thorough and wanted that card back. I felt
kinda dumb, but we had returned on Don's snorkel boat because we were
late and not on a launch, and I just didn't think about it when we got
back on ship.

My favorite place to be was up on the flying bridge. It's beautiful up
there. If you wish, they will let you have a turn at the wheel. I
never did, but I just enjoyed sitting up there and looking at all the
beautiful islands in the distance as we sailed. When the sails go up,
you can kind of feel the ship lift out of the water. It feels like you
are skimming it. I also LOVE the movement of a ship, so this was a
real cool experience. I loved waking up in my bunk in the morning and
feeling that cradle-rocking. I found it hard to get out of bed because
it was such a good feeling. I just wish my house would stop rocking --
and my car -- and my classroom today. bg

I appreciate the fact that you really get close to the sea on this
cruise. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't sail enough!!
I knew this before I booked though, so it wasn't a surprise. They do
have itineraries where there is more sailing. Next time I will look
for one of these. The other thing that made me nervous was that if my
husband had to get in touch with me for anything, he couldn't after
8:00 pm because the Windjammer offices close. On the big cruise ships
you know you can get contacted anytime. My cell phone didn't work down
there. But I was able to get to pay phones occasionally and use the
phone card Ray Goldenberg had sent me after booking the trip. Thanks
Ray!

I've done 3 HAL cruises and 2 Celebrity cruises, and I seriously doubt
if I will ever do another. I have nothing against them -- but I've
just found something that fits me better. This was a wonderful
experience.

June