Pasadena to Death Valley

Old April 18th, 2005, 03:57 PM
CB

Default Pasadena to Death Valley

Hi group :-)

I will be in the States by the end of May.

Question is :

I will leave LA (Pasadena) at, more or less, 2.30 PM
(I can't leave the city before) to get the Death Valley NP.

In your opinion, it's better to :

overnight in Lone Pine (maybe a little too far from LA, since
I will leave at 2.30 PM) and enter the park from
the 136/190 route..

...or..

overnight in Ridgecrest and enter via 178 (maybe
less scenic than 190).

Thank you !

CB

www.corradobina.it

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Keith W

"CB" wrote in message
Hi group :-)

I will be in the States by the end of May.

Question is :

I will leave LA (Pasadena) at, more or less, 2.30 PM
(I can't leave the city before) to get the Death Valley NP.

In your opinion, it's better to :

overnight in Lone Pine (maybe a little too far from LA, since
I will leave at 2.30 PM) and enter the park from
the 136/190 route..

..or..

The answer depends on how much time you have to spare
and where you are headed to in DV

Assuming you havent flown in from Italy that day then
you could reasonably drive it in one go, its only a 5 hour
trip and its light until quite late.

Last time I went I took I-15 to Baker and then 127 to
DV which was quite an easy drive.

Keith

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM
CB

Thank you for your quick reply !

Assuming you havent flown in from Italy that day then
you could reasonably drive it in one go,

My "problem" is that I can't leave LA before 2.30 PM,
and I dont know if it's worthwhile to get Lone Pine
(far than Ridgecrest) just to have a more scenic access
to DV on 190 instead of 178.

Corrado

www.corradobina.it

Old April 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Keith W

"CB" wrote in message
Thank you for your quick reply !

Assuming you havent flown in from Italy that day then
you could reasonably drive it in one go,

My "problem" is that I can't leave LA before 2.30 PM,
and I dont know if it's worthwhile to get Lone Pine
(far than Ridgecrest) just to have a more scenic access
to DV on 190 instead of 178.

Corrado

www.corradobina.it

You dont have to go as far north as if you want to use 190
as you can cut off 395 at Olancha and use SR 190
and the difference in distance if you do that is minimal
(around 20 miles according to mappoint)

Keith

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:05 PM
CB

You dont have to go as far north as if you want to use 190
as you can cut off 395 at Olancha and use SR 190
and the difference in distance if you do that is minimal
(around 20 miles according to mappoint)

Thank you, Keith !

In effect there's not so much difference between
Ridgecrest-Trona-178 and Ridgecrest-Olancha-395...

Corrado