Washington DC Tour Reccomendation?

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default Washington DC Tour Reccomendation?

Monuments are great on foot. That said there are two tour lines here that
I think are pretty good, and which provide on/off all day kind of service.
These are Tourmobile and Old Town Trolley. Grey line also does tours.

I like Tourmobile, it is frequent and has good stop locations. Old Town is also
good but has fewer stops (althought it has been a long time since I've
done a tour so this could have changed)

I'm not familiar with any other tour bus companies. I live here and only
do it if I have out of town company that really want to.

Julie

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote:
Any recommendation for s "Monument" tour of DC? Is any compoany
better than any other? Any recommendation of any special tour?

We will do the "walk and see" for most things but have been told that
a general commercial tour is also good.

Thanks,
[ and I really do like Americans, just your newsmedia irk me :-) ]

Mike

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--
Julie
**********
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Miguel Cruz

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Any recommendation for s "Monument" tour of DC? Is any compoany
better than any other? Any recommendation of any special tour?

The monuments and memorials can easily be done on foot - most of them are
within a few blocks of each other. Hell, if the weather's nice I'll give you
a tour.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 25th, 2003, 09:18 PM
richard

Mike,since you like Americans so well, when you leave take that MORON
that lives in the White House back with you. :-)

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:17 PM
SP Cook

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message

Any recommendation for s "Monument" tour of DC? Is any compoany
better than any other? Any recommendation of any special tour?

We will do the "walk and see" for most things but have been told that
a general commercial tour is also good.

Take the Tourmobile. Clearly the best. The main run makes a
continuous circuit between Arlington Cemetary (which is the only
source of tourist parking in the area) and then around the National
Mall. You get a pass that allows you to get off and back on following
trams all day long. A, generally well informed guide provides
commentary. Some of the guides are not so hot (unlike such deals in
other towns, they don't have a memorized speal, but write their own
material, which can be good or bad), so just get off and catch
another.
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Gregory Morrow

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

Any recommendation for s "Monument" tour of DC? Is any compoany
better than any other? Any recommendation of any special tour?

We will do the "walk and see" for most things but have been told that
a general commercial tour is also good.

Using a combination of walking and transit (Metro and bus), you can get
anywhere you want to go, and it'll be cheaper and more flexible than a tour.
Start he

http://www.wmata.com/riding/visitors/visitors.cfm

--
Best
Greg

Old September 25th, 2003, 11:56 PM
F. D. Lewis

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
Any recommendation for s "Monument" tour of DC? Is any compoany
better than any other? Any recommendation of any special tour?

here's a walking segment that I like very much:
lunch at the rooftop cafe of the Kennedy Center
Lincoln Memorial - read his second inaugural address
Vietnam Veteran's Memorial - recall Lincoln's thoughts
Einstein's statue outside the National Academy of Science - sit in his
lap

We will do the "walk and see" for most things but have been told that
a general commercial tour is also good.

the trolley and duck tours can be fun. for info see:
http://www.historictours.com/washington/default.htm

or, get a map (there is a good one on the Old Town Trolley tour site
mentioned above) and a guidebook (AAA is nice). then mark all the places to
see. figure out how to make a day's trip by Metro (subway) and see
everything. there are stops everywhere.

and, some things that are not monuments, but are interesting (they're on the
trolley route):
Union Station - note the warrior with no clothing. his shield had to
be enlarged so that he was decent!
the bus up Embassy row (Mass Ave) to the
National Cathedral - see the rose window as the sun comes through in
the late afternoon
Old Post Office viewing area on the top floor

finally, the view from the Lincoln Memorial at night is fantastic.

Old September 26th, 2003, 01:14 AM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:07:27 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

The monuments and memorials can easily be done on foot - most of them are
within a few blocks of each other. Hell, if the weather's nice I'll give you
a tour.

We will be at the Harrington - ... :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+
Old September 26th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Eugene Miya

In article ,
TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
Any recommendation for s "Monument" tour of DC? Is any compoany
better than any other? Any recommendation of any special tour?

Well, how long do you have?
When are you going?

We will do the "walk and see" for most things but have been told that
a general commercial tour is also good.

Depends upon how much time you have and your interests.

[ and I really do like Americans, just your newsmedia irk me :-) ]

Then you need to visit the Newseum in Arlington, but I've not had time
to visit it myself. One of these days.