Istanbul - Turkish Lira

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Scottish Pound Istanbul - Turkish Lira

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

The only other country I'm aware of where private banks could issue
bank notes was Italy. There were 100 Lire notes, no larger
denominations.

How long ago ? I suspect that was at least before WWII, and possibly
much earlier. I have a vague recall of a thing called "the scandal of
the Roman Bank", which occurred in the last years of 1800 or the
earliest year of 1900. I believe some banks of the earlier states
(Italy got unified between 1859 and 1870, or 1918) retained the
possibility to issue notes, and the Bank of Italy was established after
the aforementioned scandal.

As far as I remember there were never 100 lire notes (only steel
[AcMonItal] coins) after 1955 (there were however 500 lire notes much
later). They weren't a large value, but could be relevant for somebody
(when they opened the underground in Milan in 1964, the ticket costed
100 lire, and was considered an expensive luxury ... we took a tram,
which costed 35 lire, unless we had very good reasons to take the
underground ... the difference faded away already in 1970).

And of course the value had dropped a lot at the euro times (1 euro =
1936.27 lire)
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Istanbul - Turkish Lira

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

OTOH The euro has larger bills and euro ATMs frequently yeild 50 euro
notes.

The ones I use issue ONLY a combination of 20 and 50 euro. For instance
the typical (maximal) withdrawal of 500 euro usually gives 6*50+10*20.

I've never seen an ATM issue 5 and 10 euro notes, although they are in
common usage.

I've never seen an ATM issue larger denominations. I've sometimes seen
100 euro notes, but never actually used one, and never seen any of the
larger ones, nor do I understand who will want to use them.
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

The only other country I'm aware of where private banks could issue bank
notes was Italy. There were 100 Lire notes, no larger denominations.

How long ago ? [...] As far as I remember there were never 100 lire
notes [...]

Unless you mean the so-called mini-cheques. There was a period (I cannot
remember exactly when, between '70 and '80) when there was shortage of
change (coins), and there were these mini-cheques ... but formally they
weren't legal tender nor bank notes.
Old October 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:07:19 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

The only other country I'm aware of where private banks could issue
bank
notes was Italy. There were 100 Lire notes, no larger denominations.

How long ago ? [...] As far as I remember there were never 100 lire
notes [...]

Unless you mean the so-called mini-cheques. There was a period (I cannot
remember exactly when, between '70 and '80) when there was shortage of
change (coins), and there were these mini-cheques ... but formally they
weren't legal tender nor bank notes.

It was in the early 1970s. I can remember being offered a choice of a
postage stamp or a sweet in lieu of small currency in Rome.

Having rediscovered a large number of lira I am interested in knowing
if it is too late to convert them to Euro and if not where I can
convert them.

Wikipedia says: "All lira banknotes in use immediately before the
introduction of the euro, as all post WW2 coins, are still exchangeable for
euros in all branches of the Bank of Italy until February 29, 2012."

--
JohnT

Old October 17th, 2011, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 17.10.2011 10:05, schrieb Giovanni Drogo:
I've never seen an ATM issue 5 and 10 euro notes, although they are in
common usage.

No problem here in Germany. Last week i draw 60€ - 50 + 2*5

Josef
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (* wrote:
Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Ken Blake wrote in
:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 06:47:35 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

The only other country I'm aware of where private banks could issue
bank notes was Italy. There were 100 Lire notes, no larger
denominations.

That must have been a *long* time ago,

1970s, I was a child.

That _was_ a long time ago.

Not really. My daughter was already teenager.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

Having rediscovered a large number of lira I am interested in knowing
if it is too late to convert them to Euro and if not where I can
convert them.

Everyone is trying to get out of the Euro, and you're trying to get in?

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

Like the worthless Turkish coins that were identical in weight and
size to Dmarks and used mainly to buy very cheap cigarettes from
machines.

I don't know about that, only worthless British coins. 5p were
identical in size & weight to 1 DM.

And US quarters (older larger size 5p)- not that I'd know, you
understand.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Ken Blake wrote:
Certainly the risk can be mitigated. But there's no way to eliminate
the risk entirely. The risk is always is there, and personally, if I
am carrying a lot of cash, whether in a foreign country or at home,
that risk makes me feel very nervous. Beside not wanting to have the
risk, I don't want to have that nervous feeling.

When I travel I keep my daily spending money, cash only, in my front
pocket. The rest of my cash, along with my credit and debit cards, are
in a money belt inside my pants. No pickpocket can get at it. Only by
being overpowered by force will someone get it away from me.

It's a question of where one believes the greater risk lies. I agree
that it is never possible to eliminate the risk of being mugged at
knifepoint. But neither is it possible to eliminate the risks of credit
and debit cards that do not exist with cash, such as electronic fraud or
equipment failure. As for being mugged, being frog-marched to the nearest
ATM to withdraw your daily limit on all of your cards is not unheard of.

IMO people put too much faith in their credit and debit cards. I believe
the risks of using them are about the same as carring cash. So for me it
comes down to convenience and cost savings, and cash beats out cards on
both of those.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.