Brisbane Hobart restaurants

Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

Default Brisbane Hobart restaurants

How about it folks, an on topic thread for a change. I am looking for some
ideas for dinner in Brisbane staying Sofitel one night Mercure 2 and Hobart
2 nights somewhere ;-)

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

How about it folks, an on topic thread for a change. I am looking for some
ideas for dinner in Brisbane staying Sofitel one night Mercure 2 and
Hobart
2 nights somewhere ;-)

Well, at the Sofitel itself, there is a restaurant just off the main lobby,
which actually has reasonably nice food and nice views. The restaurante is
recently (late last year) refurbished and renamed Thyme, but most Brisbane
residents will call it The Sidewalk Cafe which was its name for many years
when the hotel was owned by Sheraton. Note that both then and now, it was
neither a cafe (definitely a restaurant) nor located on or near a sidewalk
(which are of course called footpaths in Australia) so it was a most
bizarre name for the place but extremely popular (if a little expensive)
despite that!

http://www.sofitelbrisbane.com.au/wining.html

Take the CityCat (the catamaran ferry that runs up and down the river) just
before sunset down to Bretts Wharf stop (the last one downsteam) and then
eat at the seafood restaurant there (also called Bretts Wharf) and then take
the ferry back at night to the central city where the hotels are.

http://www.brettswharf.com.au/home.asp

Also with views, Summit Restaurant atop Mt Coot-tha, bus or taxi to get to
this one:

http://www.brisbanelookout.com/pages...estaurant.html

In a more casual style but again with good views, there are a few places at
Southbank just walk across the Victoria Bridge or Goodwill Bridge). My pick
of the places on the riverfront there are Chez Laila on the Boardwalk
(closer to the Goodwill Bridge end) which has Lebanese food and Cafe San
Marco at the Victoria Bridge. Both are good options for lunch while at
Southbank and San Marco does breakfasts (at least on the weekends).

http://www.chezlaila.com.au/sb.html

http://www.cafesanmarco.com.au/

If you are looking for more of a upmarket restaurant at Southbank, try River
Canteen:

http://www.rivercanteen.com.au/

The below are all walking distance ...

If you are after steaks, Cha Cha Char on Eagle Street Pier is a very nice
stretch of river although you can't really see the river from the restaurant
itself but you can stroll by to/from:

http://www.chachachar.com.au/

and there are a number of other popular restaurants in the same area:

http://www.eaglestreetpier.com.au/

Michaels at Riverside is another good choice, but it was closed recently but
I think it was only for renovations so may be re-opening.

If you have a car and want to go further afield (or take train to Cleveland
then taxi), down by Moreton Bay, my pick is the the Grandview Hotel or the
Lighthouse Restaurant or - both are better for lunch for the views - both
are known for their seafood

http://www.gvh.com.au/ for the beer garden restaurant
http://www.tablesonline.com.au/resta...ant/index.html

or fine dining at Lurleens at the Sirromet winery at Mt Cotton (car, not
sure of the public transport options but there are always taxis if money is
no object) - again I'd lunch here rather go for dinner

http://www.sirromet.com/experience_restaurant.html

Kerry

Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

One more.

From the city, take the CityCat upriver. Either get off at Toowong (first
stop, but for more scenic experience, I strongly recommend going right up to
the last stop, University of Queensland, and then come back down to
Toowong). Then directly opposite the ferry terminal at Toowong is the
Regatta Hotel (something of a local icon). Have a drink at the bar and then
eat at their Boatshed Steakhouse. Be sure to check out the men's toilets
(they are quite unique --- not being a guy, I have only seen the photos).

Note that the Regatta gets very busy (too busy) on Friday/Saturday/Sunday
night, so earlier in the week is better I think (definitely book the
restaurant for any night, I've been turned away even early in the week
without a booking).

http://www.regattahotel.com.au/

Kerry

Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

And also the City Gardens Cafe located in the City Gardens (as the name
suggests). This is only a breakfast and lunch restaurant (no dinner). The
Gardens are located on the bend in the river so very pleasant to walk
through the gardens, both along the river bank and also to wander through
the centre of the gardens. The cafe is located a fair way into the gardens
but there are signs. Best to book though for lunch as it just beside
Queensland University of Technology (where I work) and it's heavily used by
the university for celebrations and entertaining guests. I nearly forgot
about it as I go there so much for work functions, but for the tourist it is
a very pleasant destination after a long stroll through the gardens. Ask for
a table outdoors (but under cover) and watch out for the kookaburras that
like to steal your food.

http://www.citygardens.com.au/

If you are strolling through the Gardens, you will eventually come to the
Goodwill Bridge to Southbank (see my previous post).

Kerry

Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"Kerry Raymond" wrote in
:

Fantastic Thank you! and yes, lunch places as well. We are meeting a friend
from Perth on the return potion of our journey so none of us have a lot of
local experience.

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
GreenieLeBrun

Joseph Coulter wrote:
How about it folks, an on topic thread for a change. I am looking for
some ideas for dinner in Brisbane staying Sofitel one night Mercure 2
and Hobart 2 nights somewhere ;-)

I can recomend the Salamanca Inn (http://www.salamancainn.com.au/ in
Hobart, it's only a short walk to a number of good restaurants such as
Kelly's, Mr Woobies, The Ball & Chain Grill, Muir's to name but a few.

Old March 31st, 2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in news:fsp5jk$q55$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

I can recomend the Salamanca Inn (http://www.salamancainn.com.au/ in
Hobart, it's only a short walk to a number of good restaurants such as
Kelly's, Mr Woobies, The Ball & Chain Grill, Muir's to name but a few.

Thank you. I am actually staying at the Old Woolstore. Muir's is on the
Tourism Tasmania list. How are the others? looking for lunch and dinner
places so . . .

Old March 31st, 2008, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
GreenieLeBrun

Joseph Coulter wrote:
"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in news:fsp5jk$q55$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

I can recomend the Salamanca Inn (http://www.salamancainn.com.au/ in
Hobart, it's only a short walk to a number of good restaurants such
as Kelly's, Mr Woobies, The Ball & Chain Grill, Muir's to name but a
few.

Thank you. I am actually staying at the Old Woolstore. Muir's is on
the Tourism Tasmania list. How are the others? looking for lunch and
dinner places so . . .

Just wander over to Salamanca Place there are any number of good places to
eat for both lunch and dinner, including restaurants, cafes and a couple of
pubs.

If you like good steak then you would be hard pressed to beat what the Ball
and Chain serves up, I would definitely recomend it
(http://www.ballandchain.com.au/)

Salamanca Square is off Salamanca Place and has a number of restaurants
(inc. Mr Woobies), Cafes and the like.

There are also a number of places on the dock area such as The Drunken
Admiral, Muirs and some newer ones that we haven't tried yet, maybe next
time we go down there.

Old April 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Caric

On Mar 31, 11:16 am, Joseph Coulter wrote:

Thank you. I am actually staying at the Old Woolstore. Muir's is on the
Tourism Tasmania list. How are the others? looking for lunch and dinner
places so . . .

A few other good restaurants around the docks area:

Marque lV on the Elizabeth Street pier
Monty's on Montpelier (both these probably at the pricier end)
Blue Skies at Waterman's Dock
Smolt (Salamanca Square)

Of the ones mentioned earlier, Mures Upper Deck and Kelleys are the
correct spelling (in case you are looking for them in the phone book).
All mentioned have good reputations.

Vivien