British hit new low

Old February 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default British hit new low

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:01:11 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:05:39 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:27:55 +0100, Martin
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:20:25 +0000 (UTC), Jesper Lauridsen
wrote:

What a sick place GB is:
You mean UK TV?
There are plenty of kiddy fiddlers on mainland Europe.
Somehow, your response seems to indicate you have no clue as to
what the cited article is about.
*I* certainly don't! When I tried to access the link given by Mr.
Lauridsen, my computer crashed!
The link was OK. It was what he implied from it that upset me.

I'll take your word for it! My computer definitely did not like the
link. (After having everything freeze when I tried to access it, and
spending a good forty-five minutes just getting my system to shut down
so I could re-boot, I wasn't about to try again!)

It is just a bog standard link to a BBC news website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ll/7885886.stm

"Child care bosses have urged Channel 4 to pull the plug on a reality show which
they say is "emotionally abusing" participants as young as eight.

Boys And Girls Alone, which features children left to their own devices in
cottages in Cornwall, has shown some of the youngsters fighting and crying.

Cornwall County Council has written to Channel 4 and watchdog Ofcom calling for
the remaining episodes to be axed.

Channel 4 said the children's welfare was its first priority.

The series features 10 boys and 10 girls aged eight to 11 who are given the
chance to experience life without their parents for two weeks.

They live in two "villages" and separated on gender lines, they decide
everything about the way they live, including what to do and eat, when to get
up, whether to clean and wash and how to organise and entertain themselves.

The first episode shows the girls squabbling over sleeping and cooking
arrangements and some of them feeling picked upon after splitting into factions.

Two episodes of the show have already been aired and there are two left to show.

Ruby Parry, Cornwall County Council's assistant director for social care and
family services, said it may seek an injunction to prevent the remaining
episodes from being aired.

She said they should not be shown because of serious concerns of "emotional and
psychological abuse".

I find "reality" TV a particularly depressing form of "entertainment",
even when it involves consenting adults! It does seem to prove that, in
today's world "some people will do ANYTHING for money". To involve
children in such distortions of real life seems unpardonable (although
as someone pointed out, there has been at least one similar series
originating in the U.S.).
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Hatunen wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:53:44 +0000, Mike
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

And, to my mind, quite justified.

any "reality" TV is bad enough, why include kids?

Mistreating kids for the sake of ratings is worse than inane
adult reality shows, don't you think?

Definitely! One may question the adult participants' judgment (if not
their sanity) but at least the ARE "consenting adults". The poor kids
must already be enduring the handicap of "stage mothers", which is hard
enough to bear when they are only "child actors"!

Old February 19th, 2009, 05:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:27:31 +0100, Martin
wrote:

wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

And, to my mind, quite justified.
any "reality" TV is bad enough, why include kids?

Mistreating kids for the sake of ratings is worse than inane
adult reality shows, don't you think?

Definitely! One may question the adult participants' judgment (if not
their sanity) but at least the ARE "consenting adults". The poor kids
must already be enduring the handicap of "stage mothers", which is hard
enough to bear when they are only "child actors"!

Hatunen said the programme format originated in the USA.

No, I didn't, since I don't really know that. What I said was
that the USA had a similar show a few years ago before the UK
version.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-02-16, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

*I* certainly don't! When I tried to access the link given by Mr.
Lauridsen, my computer crashed!

It's a fairly innocent link. The crash indicates a problem on your
computer, not a problem with the link. The BBC page isn't doing
anything nasty, it's just text and pictures.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-02-18, Mike wrote:
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

What a sick place GB is

bolox

Perhaps. The wording was inspired by this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...c6c68a4bc01791
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-02-23, Mike wrote:
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

The wording was inspired by this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...c6c68a4bc01791

ahhh, a troll and a GOL artist.

Government Office for London?!?

Some people participated in both threads. Some were consistent in their
opinions - others made 180 degrees turns, no doubt motivated by the
different nationalities involved.