Russian visa questions for UK traveller.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
Witchsmeller

Default Russian visa questions for UK traveller.

Hi,

I've just started planning a week-long trip to St. Petersburg in
September. I've just reserved my hostel room & visa support at the St.
Petersburg International hostel via the web. I've downloaded the tourist
visa form but I want to get it right first time & there are a couple of
things I'm unsure about:

Question 8 asks: Which Russian departments or organisations to be
visited?

As a tourist do I put none or do I list the places of interest I intend
to visit?

Question 14 asks: Index & name of the tourist group?

I'm not sure what the Index is & I'm organising my own flight &
accomodation, so I'm not sure what to put?

Question 16 asks: Do you have medical coverage valid in Russia? (check
one) - Official Medical protection plan or Other policy attached for
approval.

Is this refering to standard travel insurance? Is it worth applying for
the official medical protection, if so how would I do this?

Finally the Russian consulate Web site states I must send (along with the
completed visa application form) "an original Tourist Voucher from a
British (Russian) travel agency stamped and signed by an authorized
person".

How do I go about getting this & how much will it cost? I'm based in
Birmingham if it's possible to visit somewhere in person who can
authorise this.

Thanks in advance, Jason.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:10 PM
louis xiv

Question 8: If I remember correctly this question is more for business
visas. I think i just put 'Tourism'.

Question 14: You need to get the people who are providing your visa support
to fax or email you the tourist voucher (Visa Support) which will include
the names and numbers you need. This will be an authorised agent in Russia
who are permitted to issue said document. It should be easy for the hostel
to provide this though they will charge a fee (I presume you have already
paid this?). it's not possible to get a visa without this form. maybe you
need to email/phone them to chase this up?

Question 16: I just took my standard travel insurance documentation along to
the consulate. They waved this away dismissively so it's oviously not a huge
deal. Maybe just send them a copy? You might want to check this out.

Getting a Russian visa is complicated but worthwhile! I found
http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Info.html a great help and also the
Thorn Tree section of the Lonely Planet website.

When you get your visa, double check the entry and exit dates are right.
They got mine wrong and I had to take it back.

Good Luck.

xiv

Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Witchsmeller

"louis xiv" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the advice, I am waiting for the visa support from the hostel
so when that arrives I should be OK. Thanks also for the link, it looks
very useful.

Jase.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
Björn Olsson

louis xiv wrote:

Question 16: I just took my standard travel insurance documentation along to
the consulate. They waved this away dismissively so it's oviously not a huge
deal. Maybe just send them a copy? You might want to check this out.

I'm, not surprised. I've obtained a visa about a dozen times, but they
have never checked my insurance docs.

My speculation is that they deliberately have that question there for
the sole purpose of increasing the probability that people get some
insurance.

Bjorn
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
Giny

Here in Holland we "forgot" to give the insurance papers when we applied
Russian visa for our customers.
However since a few months ago, they INSIST on a copy of the insurance
policy and if the name of all passengers is not mentioned and if Worldwide
coverage is not mentioned, they do not even accept the visa application!
I find the Russian consulate getting more diffciult all the time.
Also the applicationtime takes now ages.....(2,3, sometimes 4 weeks).

Giny
Tozai Travel
Amsterdam

"Björn Olsson" schreef in bericht

Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:43 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Björn Olsson schrieb:

Question 16: I just took my standard travel insurance documentation along to
the consulate. They waved this away dismissively so it's oviously not a huge
deal. Maybe just send them a copy? You might want to check this out.

I'm, not surprised. I've obtained a visa about a dozen times, but they
have never checked my insurance docs.

They wanted my insurance number in Bonn; had to fill out an extra form.

Regards, ULF

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Björn Olsson

louis xiv wrote:
Things are obviously just more chilled out here in Edinburgh. ;-)

Yes, at the Stockholm Russian embassy too. Must be the latitude.

Bjorn

Old June 4th, 2004, 06:23 PM
nightjar

"Witchsmeller" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, I am waiting for the visa support from the hostel
so when that arrives I should be OK. Thanks also for the link, it looks
very useful.

Be careful. The advice about three passport photographs being needed is out
of date (you only need one) so there may well be other stuff there that is
wrong.

Colin Bignell