US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

Old June 14th, 2014, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default US airports: 'menacing, cramped and devoid of humanity'

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 19:57:13 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Erilar suffers from r.t.e anaemia and people like us :-)

Did you go to Stonehenge as planned, Erilar?

Stonehenge itself, quick stroll through Visitor Center, picnic with
friends, Woodhenge, Old Sarum, Old Wardour, Farleigh Hungerford. All except
Visitor Center very interesting despite rain most of the day.

but not Salisbury?

Too modern with limited time 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Erilar suffers from r.t.e anaemia and people like us :-)

Did you go to Stonehenge as planned, Erilar?

Stonehenge itself, quick stroll through Visitor Center, picnic with
friends, Woodhenge, Old Sarum, Old Wardour, Farleigh Hungerford. All except
Visitor Center very interesting despite rain most of the day.

but not Salisbury?

Too modern with limited time 8-)

It's even younger than you and I :-)

Why did you got to Hungerford? For the antique/junque shops or because you spent
a night in The Bear Inn?

Shops? I went to the castle ruin. Very nice one.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Erilar suffers from r.t.e anaemia and people like us :-)

Did you go to Stonehenge as planned, Erilar?

Stonehenge itself, quick stroll through Visitor Center, picnic with
friends, Woodhenge, Old Sarum, Old Wardour, Farleigh Hungerford. All except
Visitor Center very interesting despite rain most of the day.

but not Salisbury?

Too modern with limited time 8-)

It's even younger than you and I :-)

I had one day. I managed to add quite a bit to Stonehenge.

Why did you got to Hungerford? For the antique/junque shops or because you spent
a night in The Bear Inn?

Shops? I went to the castle ruin. Very nice one.

Ah! Farleigh Hungerford Castle. A bit young for you isn;t it? :-)

Ah, but it's mostly ruin and not Victorianized.

Have you visited Maiden Castle in Dorset?

I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out, much
less book transport possibilities. German- speaking countries have spoiled
me.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Erilar wrote:
I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out, much
less book transport possibilities.

I told you about this one last time you made that complaint:

http://traveline.info/

Did you even look at it?

Old June 17th, 2014, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Erilar suffers from r.t.e anaemia and people like us :-)

Did you go to Stonehenge as planned, Erilar?

Stonehenge itself, quick stroll through Visitor Center, picnic with
friends, Woodhenge, Old Sarum, Old Wardour, Farleigh Hungerford. All except
Visitor Center very interesting despite rain most of the day.

but not Salisbury?

Too modern with limited time 8-)

It's even younger than you and I :-)

Why did you got to Hungerford? For the antique/junque shops or because
you spent
a night in The Bear Inn?

Shops? I went to the castle ruin. Very nice one.

Ah! Farleigh Hungerford Castle. A bit young for you isn;t it? :-)

Have you visited Maiden Castle in Dorset?

I did stay in The Bear and visit the antique/junque emporium.
Hungerford was the location where a man shot dead 16 people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre
"Hungerford must be a bit of a mess. I wish I had stayed in bed."

Yes, but the fact that we remember it after a quarter of a century
tells us something about how often sort of thing happens in England.

--
athel

Old June 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014, Erilar wrote:

I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow
an ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure
out, much less book transport possibilities.

Well, back in the early 80's, when there was no internet, there were
things called British Tourist Authority, and British Rail. I remember I
*wrote* to them from Italy, and got by (snail) mail plently of material,
lists of local tourist offices, and pocket train timetables.

When I later moved there I could collect further timetables at train
stations and local bus stations, and do weekend trips showing up at the
local tourist office and asking them to book a B&B for a cheap fee,
Sometimes they also gave directions whether it was best to cover a given
leg by train or bus, and on bus rover tickets.

Are things now that worse (due to privatizations ?) ?
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:31:14 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:

Erilar wrote:
I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out,
much
less book transport possibilities.

I told you about this one last time you made that complaint:

http://traveline.info/

Did you even look at it?

It all goes wrong when it asks you to chose the operator.

Caledonian and Argyle Ferries are odd options for a trip in the York area.
:-)
Select the most obvious operator and get a response that it's impossible.
I put in five trips that I have done by bus. The tool failed to provide a
route
for all except one. Using the Dutch equivalent you tell it where you are
and
your destination, neither need to be bus stops or railway stations.
I think you need a car if you want to visit castles and or abbeys in
Yorkshire.

I offered to produce a list of how to get to the accessible ones in the
South (of England, not Yorkshire) and she didn't take me up on the offer :-(

tim

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

Old June 17th, 2014, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014, Erilar wrote:

I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow
an ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure
out, much less book transport possibilities.

Well, back in the early 80's, when there was no internet, there were
things called British Tourist Authority, and British Rail. I remember I
*wrote* to them from Italy, and got by (snail) mail plently of material,
lists of local tourist offices, and pocket train timetables.

When I later moved there I could collect further timetables at train
stations and local bus stations, and do weekend trips showing up at the
local tourist office and asking them to book a B&B for a cheap fee,
Sometimes they also gave directions whether it was best to cover a given
leg by train or bus, and on bus rover tickets.

Are things now that worse (due to privatizations ?) ?

I did something similar in Germany pre- internet 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Erilar wrote:
I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out, much
less book transport possibilities.

I told you about this one last time you made that complaint:

http://traveline.info/

Did you even look at it?

It all goes wrong when it asks you to chose the operator.

Caledonian and Argyle Ferries are odd options for a trip in the York area. :-)
Select the most obvious operator and get a response that it's impossible.
I put in five trips that I have done by bus. The tool failed to provide a route
for all except one. Using the Dutch equivalent you tell it where you are and
your destination, neither need to be bus stops or railway stations.
I think you need a car if you want to visit castles and or abbeys in Yorkshire.

I had friends with car for York and a couple castle ruins in Yorkshire on
my one extended UK visit, most of which was devoted to Wales.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Erilar suffers from r.t.e anaemia and people like us :-)

Did you go to Stonehenge as planned, Erilar?

Stonehenge itself, quick stroll through Visitor Center, picnic with
friends, Woodhenge, Old Sarum, Old Wardour, Farleigh Hungerford. All except
Visitor Center very interesting despite rain most of the day.

but not Salisbury?

Too modern with limited time 8-)

It's even younger than you and I :-)

I had one day. I managed to add quite a bit to Stonehenge.

Why did you got to Hungerford? For the antique/junque shops or because you spent
a night in The Bear Inn?

Shops? I went to the castle ruin. Very nice one.

Ah! Farleigh Hungerford Castle. A bit young for you isn;t it? :-)

Ah, but it's mostly ruin and not Victorianized.

There are plenty like that in France, some unrestored, in a better condition, &
most are older.

Have you visited Maiden Castle in Dorset?

I have visited very little in England, actually. Not only is Heathrow an
ordeal, but there's no single central site where one can figure out, much
less book transport possibilities. German- speaking countries have spoiled
me.

I can think of several suitable sites in England. You aren't going to find one
central site for the whole of England any more than you can in Germany or the
USA. England is too big.

I can plot all th transport at one site in Germany, Austria, or
Switzerland.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad