Brut-al

Old December 31st, 2009, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Brut-al

BRUT-AL.

Looking at the advertisement for the local grocery store here in
Shreveport, I see they have Korbel Brut Champagne on sale for $9.99 a
bottle. Same stuff they sell on the cruise ships for $27 to $32.

And the cruise lines wonder why travel agents aren't sending as many
bottles of champagne as we used to.

Happy New Year!

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old December 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , George Leppla
wrote:

BRUT-AL.

Looking at the advertisement for the local grocery store here in
Shreveport, I see they have Korbel Brut Champagne on sale for $9.99 a
bottle. Same stuff they sell on the cruise ships for $27 to $32.

And the cruise lines wonder why travel agents aren't sending as many
bottles of champagne as we used to.

It is the same for the wine they sell. However this should be no
surprise. That is the same that your local restaurants do. The markup
is one of the ways that they make a profit. A three times markup is the
standard for less expensive wine or champagne. The markup for pricier
wine or champagne will be less as that helps sell the more expensive
stuff.

--
Charles
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

Charles wrote:
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

BRUT-AL.

Looking at the advertisement for the local grocery store here in
Shreveport, I see they have Korbel Brut Champagne on sale for $9.99 a
bottle. Same stuff they sell on the cruise ships for $27 to $32.

And the cruise lines wonder why travel agents aren't sending as many
bottles of champagne as we used to.

It is the same for the wine they sell. However this should be no
surprise. That is the same that your local restaurants do. The markup
is one of the ways that they make a profit. A three times markup is the
standard for less expensive wine or champagne. The markup for pricier
wine or champagne will be less as that helps sell the more expensive
stuff.

An old rule of thumb in the food service business is that material costs
should never be more than 1/3 of the sell price. If the bottle of wine
costs the ship $9, the sell price would be around $27. However, in the
volume that they purchase wine and spirits, I would be surprised if that
$27 bottle costs them more than $6.
May everyone have calm seas and gentle winds in 2010,
Cheers,
John in LaLaLand (On the Left Coast)
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
joseph f Morris

What is the wholesale price. the 9.99 still makes a profit. The ships
buy thousands of bottles..
Drink hearty (grin)

Live today...tomorrow may never come.

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , joseph f
Morris wrote:

What is the wholesale price. the 9.99 still makes a profit. The ships
buy thousands of bottles..
Drink hearty (grin)

The wholesale price on bottles sold at liquor stores is usually 65% of
retail price. Don't know if restaurants or cruise lines get the same
wholesale price as liquor stores.

--
Charles
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , joseph f
Morris wrote:

What is the wholesale price. the 9.99 still makes a profit. The ships
buy thousands of bottles..
Drink hearty (grin)

The wholesale price on bottles sold at liquor stores is usually 65% of
retail price. Don't know if restaurants or cruise lines get the same
wholesale price as liquor stores.

--
Charles

Cruise ships probably buy their liquor using their at-sea, or overseas legal
entities, or something like that, which may avoid a lot of the federal taxes
on the liquor. If the wholesale price is 65%, a good portion of that has to
be taxes, which (guessing) they very likely can either mostly avoid, or at
least partially avoid.

I've gotta figure that they pay prices much lower than restaurants.

--Tom

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article ,
joseph f
Morris wrote:

What is the wholesale price. the 9.99 still makes a profit. The
ships
buy thousands of bottles..
Drink hearty (grin)

The wholesale price on bottles sold at liquor stores is usually
65% of
retail price. Don't know if restaurants or cruise lines get the
same
wholesale price as liquor stores.

--
Charles

.. . . and here I just thought they filled the empty bottles and
recorked them like I do here at the house.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

Cruise ships probably buy their liquor using their at-sea, or overseas legal
entities, or something like that, which may avoid a lot of the federal taxes
on the liquor. If the wholesale price is 65%, a good portion of that has to
be taxes, which (guessing) they very likely can either mostly avoid, or at
least partially avoid.

I've gotta figure that they pay prices much lower than restaurants.

I don't know if it is true but I have heard that the cruise lines do
get their alcohol duty free and avoid taxes. Also since they order a
high volume I would guess get a better wholesale price than a single
restaurant or single liquor store.

--
Charles
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

On Jan 4, 6:52*pm, Charles wrote:
In article , Tom K

wrote:
Cruise ships probably buy their liquor using their at-sea, or overseas legal
entities, or something like that, which may avoid a lot of the federal taxes
on the liquor. *If the wholesale price is 65%, a good portion of that has to
be taxes, which (guessing) they very likely can either mostly avoid, or at
least partially avoid.
I've gotta figure that they pay prices much lower than restaurants.

I don't know if it is true but I have heard that the cruise lines do
get their alcohol duty free and avoid taxes. Also since they order a
high volume I would guess get a better wholesale price than a single
restaurant or single liquor store.

In either event, then their likely price for a $10 retail is around
$5, so the 3x markup would put it at around $15, although if we apply
their rate of cork fee, it would have been around $20.

-hh

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Charles wrote On 12/30/2009 8:37 PM:
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

BRUT-AL.

Looking at the advertisement for the local grocery store here in
Shreveport, I see they have Korbel Brut Champagne on sale for $9.99 a
bottle. Same stuff they sell on the cruise ships for $27 to $32.

And the cruise lines wonder why travel agents aren't sending as many
bottles of champagne as we used to.

It is the same for the wine they sell. However this should be no
surprise. That is the same that your local restaurants do. The markup
is one of the ways that they make a profit. A three times markup is the
standard for less expensive wine or champagne. The markup for pricier
wine or champagne will be less as that helps sell the more expensive
stuff.

All the more reason for dining at fine restaurants with (BYOB) policies.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951