American Restaurant in Paris

Old December 9th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Earl Evleth

Default American Restaurant in Paris

Since Maxi expressed a deep love for McDonalds, where he can eat fast
and alone, I thought I would look up what the offerings are.

http://www.americanshowparis.com/ann..._parisien.html

Gives a list,most of the places I don`t know

NATACHA Métro: Raspail
17 bis, rue Campagne Première

(sounds Russian)

Chicago Pizza Pie Factory
Métro: George V
5 rue de Berri

(heard of it, never eaten there)

Planet Hollywood

Métro: Franklin D. Roosevelt
78 av. des Champs-Elysées
Paris (8ème)

(heard of it, never eaten there)

T.G.I. Friday's
Métro: Grands Boulevards
8 bd Montmartre
Paris (9ème)

(heard of it, never eaten there)

Bagel Place
Métro: Châtelet - Les Halles
6 place Sainte-Opportune
Paris (1er)

(I hate Bagels)

Chicago Meatpacker's

Métro: Les Halles
8 rue Coquillière
Paris (1er)

(took somebody there, once)

Joe Allen
Métro: Etienne Marcel
30 rue Pierre-Lescot
Paris (1er)

(Joe`s has been around for years, since the 1970s if I remember.
I took our French secretaries there once just for fun)

*

Thanksgiving
Métro: Sully Morland
14 rue Charles V
Paris (4ème)

(eaten there once or twice, they do Lousiana crawfish)

Haynes
Métro: Saint Georges
3 rue Clauzel
Paris (9ème)

(this is the oldest around since the 1920s I think. It is mentioned
in "Paris Noir" by Stovall, who does a history on American Blacks
in Paris)

Coffee Parisien
Métro: Mabillon
4 rue Princesse
Paris (6ème)

(Curious, nearly in our neigbhorhood and I have sort of heard of it)

Coffee Saint Germain
Métro: Saint Germain des Prés
5 rue Perronet
Paris (7ème)

(also in the neigbhorhood and I have never heard of it).

There are a some Tex-Mex not on this list. Like Susan's. My philisophy
is to eat American Mexican type food in the USA when we visit the USA.

I think the French attitude towards American restaurants is that
they find them amusing to eat at. Some French have traveled
a bit and so it is nostalgic to have an American meal now and then.
Judging from the raw materials offered in some French markets for making
"Mexican" type plates some French must like the stuff. I personally love
well prepared enchiladas.

Earl

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Mxsmanic

Earl Evleth writes:

Chicago Pizza Pie Factory
Métro: George V
5 rue de Berri

(heard of it, never eaten there)

I almost ate there once, but the loud music coming from inside and the
bouncers at the door told us that it wasn't the type of "restaurant"
we'd like.

Planet Hollywood

Métro: Franklin D. Roosevelt
78 av. des Champs-Elysées
Paris (8ème)

(heard of it, never eaten there)

I've eaten there many times. It used to be very popular. Today it
isn't, but it is still more popular in France than it is in the U.S.

There's one at Disney Village, too.

T.G.I. Friday's
Métro: Grands Boulevards
8 bd Montmartre
Paris (9ème)

(heard of it, never eaten there)

It was good while it lasted. It has been replaced by a bad French
wannabe imitation of an American restaurant, which I predict will fail.

Bagel Place
Métro: Châtelet - Les Halles
6 place Sainte-Opportune
Paris (1er)

(I hate Bagels)

The bagels are very good. Cream cheese and other stuff to put on them
as well. They used to have several stores, but some closed. The one
you mention is still open.

Chicago Meatpacker's

Métro: Les Halles
8 rue Coquillière
Paris (1er)

(took somebody there, once)

I'm not fond of meat. I've never been there.

Joe Allen
Métro: Etienne Marcel
30 rue Pierre-Lescot
Paris (1er)

(Joe`s has been around for years, since the 1970s if I remember.
I took our French secretaries there once just for fun)

Never been there, but I've heard of it.

Thanksgiving
Métro: Sully Morland
14 rue Charles V
Paris (4ème)

(eaten there once or twice, they do Lousiana crawfish)

I've bought stuff at their store, but I've never been in the restaurant.

Haynes
Métro: Saint Georges
3 rue Clauzel
Paris (9ème)

(this is the oldest around since the 1920s I think. It is mentioned
in "Paris Noir" by Stovall, who does a history on American Blacks
in Paris)

I've walked past it; it doesn't look very inviting, and it is very
small.

Coffee Parisien
Métro: Mabillon
4 rue Princesse
Paris (6ème)

(Curious, nearly in our neigbhorhood and I have sort of heard of it)

A trendy place for people cruising for dates (or on dates). There are
lots of similar places on that street. There's an American bookstore
there, too.

Coffee Saint Germain
Métro: Saint Germain des Prés
5 rue Perronet
Paris (7ème)

(also in the neigbhorhood and I have never heard of it).

That street is way off the beaten track. I don't recall this
restaurant, but I can't remember the last time I was down that street.

There are a some Tex-Mex not on this list. Like Susan's.
My philisophy is to eat American Mexican type food
in the USA when we visit the USA.

Decent Tex-Mex is almost impossible to find in Paris. Oddly enough, the
place where you illegally take your dog had a stand that used to sell
tamales (the only place in Paris I ever found that did), but last time I
checked they no longer had them. They weren't like the ones I enjoyed
in the U.S., though.

I think the French attitude towards American restaurants is that
they find them amusing to eat at. Some French have traveled
a bit and so it is nostalgic to have an American meal now and then.

American places are much more popular with French people who have never
set foot in the U.S.

I personally love well prepared enchiladas.

Café Pacifico is pretty good. The various Indiana Cafés are okay. I
don't remember the Mustang Café (which is a bad sign, I guess). There's
a place called Azteca near the Forum (still there, I think) that is
pretty bad. ChiChis is okay. I can't find tamales anywhere, though.

Old December 9th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Allen Windhorn

Mxsmanic writes:

Earl Evleth writes:

Planet Hollywood

Métro: Franklin D. Roosevelt
78 av. des Champs-Elysées
Paris (8ème)

(heard of it, never eaten there)

I've eaten there many times. It used to be very popular. Today it
isn't, but it is still more popular in France than it is in the U.S.

What about Hard Rock Cafe?

Coffee Parisien
Métro: Mabillon
4 rue Princesse
Paris (6ème)

(Curious, nearly in our neigbhorhood and I have sort of heard of it)

A trendy place for people cruising for dates (or on dates). There are
lots of similar places on that street. There's an American bookstore
there, too.

I think that's "Tea and Tattered Pages;" if so, they have good food
too. We had Thanksgiving dinner there once, with all the fixings.

Regards,
Allen
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Mxsmanic

Allen Windhorn writes:

What about Hard Rock Cafe?

Not sure. I haven't been to a U.S. Hard Rock in years. Are they still
doing okay? The one in Paris does well enough. I've never cared for
the place or for the food, although the Paris Hard Rock used to have a
beautiful stained-glass window inside. It seems to be popular with the
over-40 or even the over-50 crowd, mainly. I know that some people ask
for directions to it, so it still has fans.

I think that's "Tea and Tattered Pages;" if so, they have good food
too. We had Thanksgiving dinner there once, with all the fixings.

Not this place. It's called the Village Voice Bookshop, and it doesn't
include a restaurant. Tea and Tattered Pages is on the rue Mayet, way
down closer to Montparnasse. I've passed the place, but I've never gone
inside.

Old December 10th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Javaman

Earl Evleth wrote:
Since Maxi expressed a deep love for McDonalds, where he can eat fast
and alone, I thought I would look up what the offerings are.

Snipped...

No offense, but when I go anywhere in Europe, the last place I would want
to eat is McDonalds. I don't even like them in the U.S.

There are so many FANTASTIC places to eat and things to try, local
specialities!!

I guess if you had kids who were really homesick you could take them there,
and
I do admit to buying coffee in McDonalds in Berlin and also at the Burger
King
in Amsterdam's Centraal Station, but I wouldn't want to eat anything from
there.

But, to each their own!

Javaman in Seattle
(Absolutely CRAVING the wonderful Döner kebaps in Germany. YUMYUMYUM)

Old December 10th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Jesper Lauridsen

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 19:52:14 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

I'm not fond of meat. I've never been there.

Ah, your fondness for McDonalds explained.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Casey

No offense, but when I go anywhere in Europe, the last place I
would want to eat is McDonalds. I don't even like them in the U.S.

First, I want to say that I appreciate Earl's post. I like to have
options.

That said, I agree with you, especially for Paris. Cafes are every-
where, and usually great for lunch.

But let's not forget the great value of McDonalds: toilets! I will
often seek out a McDonalds in a strange city because I know I can
use the toilet with only a purchase of a coke. Usually the door
requires a coin, but the staff can give you a slug that will work.

Casey

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Miles

Casey wrote:
But let's not forget the great value of McDonalds: toilets! I will
often seek out a McDonalds in a strange city because I know I can
use the toilet with only a purchase of a coke. Usually the door
requires a coin, but the staff can give you a slug that will work.

Oh ya. I forgot all about pay or token use bathrooms having not
traveled much lately. In the USA pay toilets are a rarity and usually
only found in downtown areas of large cities. Even so, I have never
seen a McDonalds with pay (or token) operated bathrooms here.

Old December 10th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Miguel Cruz

Miles wrote:
Oh ya. I forgot all about pay or token use bathrooms having not
traveled much lately. In the USA pay toilets are a rarity and usually
only found in downtown areas of large cities. Even so, I have never
seen a McDonalds with pay (or token) operated bathrooms here.

18th & Columbia Road here in Washington DC. Tokens are free though.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Mxsmanic

Casey writes:

But let's not forget the great value of McDonalds: toilets! I will
often seek out a McDonalds in a strange city because I know I can
use the toilet with only a purchase of a coke. Usually the door
requires a coin, but the staff can give you a slug that will work.

Paris has Sanisettes.