dollars and credit cards

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
VOLTS[_4_]

Default dollars and credit cards

hi sirs, i'm steve. as a tourist of 2, how much dollar bills can we
bring in the US for a 17 day stay? i know we have to declare them before
entering the US, but we also have credit cards. will the credit limit of
our credit card be declared also? if $10,000 is only allowed,
will the credit limit or available balance of our credit cards be
counted added to the pocket money we have?

thankyou

--
VOLTS
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old June 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maurice ON4BAM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 07:06:33 -0500, VOLTS
wrote:

hi sirs, i'm steve. as a tourist of 2, how much dollar bills can we
bring in the US for a 17 day stay? i know we have to declare them before
entering the US, but we also have credit cards. will the credit limit of
our credit card be declared also? if $10,000 is only allowed,
will the credit limit or available balance of our credit cards be
counted added to the pocket money we have?

Don't worry. You don't need more than US$10000 for 17 days unless you
try to stay in 5star hotel penthouses the whole time or expect to buy
illegal powdery stuff. ;-)
Your CC is not counted towards the $10000 you can bring into the US.
We never had to declare any cash we had with us over the last 25
years.

If in doubt I guess US consulate/embassy in the Phillipines can help
you out (you seem to be from the Phillipines...).

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:23:32 +0000, Bert Hyman wrote:

In VOLTS
wrote:

hi sirs, i'm steve. as a tourist of 2, how much dollar bills can we
bring in the US for a 17 day stay? i know we have to declare them
before entering the US, but we also have credit cards. will the credit
limit of our credit card be declared also? if $10,000 is only
allowed, will the credit limit or available balance of our credit cards
be counted added to the pocket money we have?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195

You can bring in as much cash as you like, but if the total amount
carried by everyone in your party exceeds US$10000, you must declare it.

The limit on your credit cards is not counted.

The poster may not know the reason for the $10000 limit. It is a check on
money "smuggling" whereby the likes of drug lords or other criminals get
get their ill-gotten gains back to them in whatever country they live in.
Cash is used because cash leaves no paper trail. It is mostly about those
leaving the USA.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Baja Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On 10 Jun 2011 16:23:32 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

You can bring in as much cash as you like, but if the total amount
carried by everyone in your party exceeds US$10000, you must declare it.

Can you define "your party"?

Tnx -- Larry
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
VOLTS[_6_]

hi sir, just me and my wife only. sir for 17 days only west coast, san
francisco, LA and vegas. will $7,000 cash excluding our credit cards
combined will be around $5,000 fit for the trip? we'll be staying in
hotels $80 to $100 a day, take public transport, we don't dine at
expensive restaurants, a little shopping mostly souvenirs.

--
VOLTS
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:47:23 -0500, VOLTS
wrote:

hi sir, just me and my wife only. sir for 17 days only west coast, san
francisco, LA and vegas. will $7,000 cash excluding our credit cards
combined will be around $5,000 fit for the trip? we'll be staying in
hotels $80 to $100 a day, take public transport, we don't dine at
expensive restaurants, a little shopping mostly souvenirs.

$100 a day for 17 days is $1700. Add another $100 a day for
inexpensive restaurants and $200 for a few souvenirs, and the total
comes to $3600. Even if you don't charge any of it, $3600 is nowhere
near $7000. Double the $100 a day for restaurants and it still comes
to only $5300

And in the extremely unlikely event that you run out of cash, you can
simply charge more to the credit cards or use the credit cards to get
additional cash from an ATM machine. It seems to me that you are
worrying about nothing.

By the way, when I travel, I take nowhere near that amount of cash
with me, since I don't want to risk losing it to a thief. I charge
almost everything on a credit card and use ATM machines as necessary
to get much smaller amounts of cash.

--
Ken Blake