will airfare to italy get cheaper before summer?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:31 AM
maryanne kehoe

Default will airfare to italy get cheaper before summer?

Not the outbound flight, but the return is in the summer season.

will airfare to italy get cheaper before summer?

Group: rec.travel.air Date: Tue, Mar 23, 2004, 2:59am (EST+5) From:
(mtravelkay)
maryanne kehoe wrote:
I was trying to tell the gentelman that if one part of Europe was on
sale, if he called now, he might get a good deal!
Was you ticket for travel in the summer?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Nick

i ended up booking directly through alitalia for
EWJ-MXP, FCO-PHL, July 1 - 15, for about $820.
Direct flight, which is nice. Orbitz and Expedia
were both a bit more expensive. A bit more than I
was expecting, but far cheaper than USAir's direct
PHL-FCO, which was $1200.

Now, if Alitalia or anyone else has a summer sale
between now and then, is there any way I can get a
refund or credit?

"Nick" wrote in message
Looking to travel to Italy anytime late june to
early july. last year, i saw fares for ~$500
between new york and rome. this year, closer to
$900!. actually prefer, ideally, to fly from
philadelphia to milan, and rome to philadelphia.

anyway, airfares seem quite high. should I wait,
or should I book now?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
mtravelkay

Nick wrote:

i ended up booking directly through alitalia for
EWJ-MXP, FCO-PHL, July 1 - 15, for about $820.
Direct flight, which is nice. Orbitz and Expedia
were both a bit more expensive. A bit more than I
was expecting, but far cheaper than USAir's direct
PHL-FCO, which was $1200.

Now, if Alitalia or anyone else has a summer sale
between now and then, is there any way I can get a
refund or credit?

You can get a refund or credit if the ticket rules permit it.

Did you checkout any Italian neighborhood agents in Philly that might
specialize in travel to Italy? They might have access to consolidator
fares.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:24 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Not the outbound flight, but the return is in the summer season.

That explains it. Fares are determined entirely by the date of departure.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

You can get a refund or credit if the ticket rules permit it.

Right--you should check with the airline. Some U.S. airlines allow full
credit for the difference, some allow credit minus a nominal (e.g., $25)
fee, and some, like Continental (I did use just an 'o' so that no abuse
complaints need be posted) don't give you any credit or refund if the fare
goes down.

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Scott

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:13:34 -0600, "Douglas W. Hoyt"
wrote:

after seeing $900 - $1,200 prices found a non-stop Boston - Rome and

return for $430 via Alitalia on Orbitz about four weeks ago.

I was checking every day too--for friends. I didn't check that morning--but
they did--and snapped up $492 Chicago-Nice on Alitalia for July. I still
can't figure out if that was some bizarre pricing mistake or an intended
"sale". I kind of think it was the fomer. By that afternoon, after my
friends had their Orbitz ticket confirmation, I looked and the fare was in
the $900's again.

This year has been super-slim pickings for summer U.S.-Europe fare deals,
that's for sure!!!

I agree. I've been watching IAD-CPH fares since early Feb. It
doesn't look like fares are going to go down much. I'm getting ready
to buy now.

Old March 24th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I agree. I've been watching IAD-CPH fares since early Feb. It
doesn't look like fares are going to go down much. I'm getting ready to buy
now.

A couple months ago, there were loads of sales for departures before March
31st. Now there is a modest parade of fares for "spring" travel. The
airlines may have simply decided that they will see how full their aircraft
are in summer, and will offer "sales" later--in order to fill up the
remaining seats. This is probably the most sensible thing to do--and it
fits the general pattern of fare sales offered in the majority of markets
and seasons. I would guess that in late April or May, that there will be
some deals for June or later. But I already booked mine!

Old March 25th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Scott

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:40:17 -0600, "Douglas W. Hoyt"
wrote:

I agree. I've been watching IAD-CPH fares since early Feb. It

doesn't look like fares are going to go down much. I'm getting ready to buy
now.

A couple months ago, there were loads of sales for departures before March
31st. Now there is a modest parade of fares for "spring" travel. The
airlines may have simply decided that they will see how full their aircraft
are in summer, and will offer "sales" later--in order to fill up the
remaining seats. This is probably the most sensible thing to do--and it
fits the general pattern of fare sales offered in the majority of markets
and seasons. I would guess that in late April or May, that there will be
some deals for June or later. But I already booked mine!

I booked mine today. This is the latest I can remember, without much
summer sales, since I started flying to Eurpoe 12 years ago.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
bonniejessee

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message ...
after seeing $900 - $1,200 prices found a non-stop Boston - Rome and

return for $430 via Alitalia on Orbitz about four weeks ago.

I was checking every day too--for friends. I didn't check that morning--but
they did--and snapped up $492 Chicago-Nice on Alitalia for July. I still
can't figure out if that was some bizarre pricing mistake or an intended
"sale". I kind of think it was the fomer. By that afternoon, after my
friends had their Orbitz ticket confirmation, I looked and the fare was in
the $900's again.

This year has been super-slim pickings for summer U.S.-Europe fare deals,
that's for sure!!!

Today I got an email from Travelzoo that Delta is starting service
from Cincinnati to Amsterdam and they're running $399 r/t - too bad
I'm in Florida and can't take advantage of that one!
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:44 PM
jenn

Nick wrote:

Looking to travel to Italy anytime late june to
early july. last year, i saw fares for ~$500
between new york and rome. this year, closer to
$900!. actually prefer, ideally, to fly from
philadelphia to milan, and rome to philadelphia.

anyway, airfares seem quite high. should I wait,
or should I book now?

some flights to Rome were already full when I tried to book.
My sense is that flights have been cut way back -- and rates
are not likely to come down. there is always a bit of luck
involved -- but they never did come down this spring as they
usually do --