Going to Singapore/Malaysia

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:38 PM
mag3

Default Going to Singapore/Malaysia

Quoting mag3 regarding Going to
Singapore/Malaysia in a message dated Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:13:49 -0500:

OK - Have set up an Itinerary for Singapore/Malaysia for later this year. Have
some questions for those in the know as follows:

FINAL UPDATE: Thanks to all who helped, and to AJC for the SQ schedule, of
which I availed myself nicely. I think I wasn't seeing the morning flights
before because I chose "ALL DAY" for the time selection instead of "Morning."
Weird, but...

My only problem now is, since I booked the flight *before* I registered to be a
Kris Flyer (didn't know if I wanted to be a KF when I made the booking), now I
can't see the itinerary when I log onto the KF page and their Tech support
people say they can't link it!!! UGGGHH!!! I thought perhaps I could link it
myself like I can on the CO website but no such luck! Ah well, live and learn.

Thanks again.

__________________________________

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:21 AM
John Grove

Taking drugs into Singapore or Malaysia will get you the death sentence.
There is no exception to the rule. (Sometimes wish they would do this
here As well)

Our agent in Malaysia will not accept publicity DVD's or videos
as they have to be watched in their entirety to prevent pornography that
would offend Moslem morality. At one time satellite broadcast were
banned in Malaysia for the same reason. There was an article in the
Malaysian Straights Times suggesting that woks over 12 inch diameter
were to be banned as they might be used to receive satellite broadcasts.

I was told that the Singapore customs would confiscate pirate CD's and
software from the J.B. market if they found it. However there was plenty
of it around in the Singapore computer area.
--
John Grove
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:20 AM
mag3

Quoting John Grove regarding Going to
Singapore/Malaysia in a message dated Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:21:50 +0100:

Taking drugs into Singapore or Malaysia will get you the death sentence.
There is no exception to the rule. (Sometimes wish they would do this
here As well)

Well, trafficking certain drugs in certain quantities will render a death
sentence. As long as the meds are for personal use and accompanied by the
appropriate documentation, I'm now confident I won't have any problems.

It's just that now I have to go through the extra hassle of getting my doctor
to write a letter of authorization for the meds I take. But I suppose it's much
less hassle than dealing with the rotan cane!

Our agent in Malaysia will not accept publicity DVD's or videos
as they have to be watched in their entirety to prevent pornography that
would offend Moslem morality. At one time satellite broadcast were
banned in Malaysia for the same reason.

I'm wondering though if the average tourist gets the same kind of scruitny
comming through customs. From what I'm hearing here, it doesn't appear so.
We'll see soon enough. I'm not worried about this one though - I can censor
myself well in advance.

There was an article in the
Malaysian Straights Times suggesting that woks over 12 inch diameter
were to be banned as they might be used to receive satellite broadcasts.

Ah, interesting! I tell ya, something about "necessity being the mother of
invention!"

I was told that the Singapore customs would confiscate pirate CD's and
software from the J.B. market if they found it. However there was plenty
of it around in the Singapore computer area.

Again, not a concern. I'm all legit there and have no need to buy sofware or
pirated CDs.

__________________________________

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:28 AM
Sjoerd

"mag3" schreef in bericht
news

I'm wondering though if the average tourist gets the same kind of scruitny
comming through customs. From what I'm hearing here, it doesn't appear so.

I have been to Malaysia 6 times in the last 3 years, and to Singapore 5
times, and I have always been waved through at customs.

Sjoerd

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:43 PM
ting

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:28:42 +0200, "Sjoerd"
wrote:

"mag3" schreef in bericht
news

I'm wondering though if the average tourist gets the same kind of scruitny
comming through customs. From what I'm hearing here, it doesn't appear so.

I have been to Malaysia 6 times in the last 3 years, and to Singapore 5
times, and I have always been waved through at customs.

Sjoerd

you musta looked like one of them slant-eyed singaporians.