Moving to Australia

Old January 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Nick Fisher

Default Moving to Australia

Hi guys,

For info, family situation in 2009 will be:

(i) daughter of 21 who has left home & is working so definitely won't
be coming
(ii) son of 17 who will be taking A-Levels & probably want to attend
Uni in the UK from Sep 09 (so he might/might not come)
(iii) son of 9 who definitely will be coming !!!

So we need to end up in a pleasant family-orientated neighborhood, with
good schools and facilities.

As a matter of interest, I assume that we're likely to find
after-school activity clubs etc. for a child of this age ? That would
really help with the work arrangements (he currently does a couple of
afternoon's a week to fit in with my wife's job).

As you can tell, very early in the planning right now...

Cheers

Nick

Old January 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Konnecke

Nick,

The French's Forest area of Sydney, I think would be a good fit for
you. Lots of recreational space and lots of interest groups for the
"tweener" age group.

The Sydney jobs market is very strong for skilled applicants.

Pete

Old January 15th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
James Standen

And the Zoo. And the yaught scene (Syndey-Hobart race as well). And
those fun ferries. I lived
in Sydney for 2 years over several trips, and loved it.

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Peter Webb wrote:

"Nick Fisher" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, the decision is made (at least in principle): we are emigrating
from the UK to Australia.

We're pretty sure that either Sydney or Melbourne is going to be the
right choice for us, but although I've spend a bit of time in the
former, I don't know Melbourne at all.

If you have never been there, why are you considering Melbourne at all?

If you took away Sydney's harbour, its beaches, its interesting topography,
its climate, the Harbour bridge and Opera House, and 30% of its business
opportunity you know what you would have? Melbourne.

I know both cities well, and I can't imagine why anybody would pick
Melbourne.

Unless you have a job that really requires you to be in a big city,
Melbourne would be well down on my list.

Old January 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

"Nick Fisher" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys,

For info, family situation in 2009 will be:

(i) daughter of 21 who has left home & is working so definitely won't
be coming
(ii) son of 17 who will be taking A-Levels & probably want to attend
Uni in the UK from Sep 09 (so he might/might not come)
(iii) son of 9 who definitely will be coming !!!

So we need to end up in a pleasant family-orientated neighborhood, with
good schools and facilities.

Both Sydney and Melbourne have this by the soccer field full.

As you know Sydney, you would be aware that most SIs and vendors, and many
major IT shops, are in a triangle defined by the city, Chatswood, and North
Ryde. If you haven't got a job before you arrive, its probably best to find
somewhere with easy access to this region (ie North or North West Sydney,
both of which have excellent facilities for families and are very family
oriented). If you don't intend getting a car or two, then you may want
somewhere with access to the railway, eg on the city to Hornsby line.
(Although I would question whether you could live in Sydney with an eight
year old without a car).

As a matter of interest, I assume that we're likely to find
after-school activity clubs etc. for a child of this age ? That would
really help with the work arrangements (he currently does a couple of
afternoon's a week to fit in with my wife's job).

Almost all primary schools have a before school/after school childcare
service, and these are usually pretty cheap (they are not run for profit,
and use school facilities).

In terms of other activities, my daughter does flute lessons, jazz ballet,
choir, soccer, cricket, bible studies (yuk) and netball. With training, she
has 8 organised activities a week outside of school, and they are all
walking distance from home (not that she would actually walk anywhere). She
is 12, but it was much the same when she was 8 (except substituting art, ice
skating, swimming lessons and piano for four of the above!).

If you want comfortable middle class three bedroom with pool and a good
local sporting and recreational facilities type lifestyle, c'mon down,
Sydney can certainly give you that and more (as can Melbourne).