Brisbane: Local campervan or/and 4WD car rental companies?

Old May 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default Brisbane: Local campervan or/and 4WD car rental companies?

I am looking for local rental companies in Brisbane which rent out
(small) campervans - both 2WD and 4WD - or/and (small) 4WD cars.

I am *not* looking for nationwide companies like Apollo, Britz, Maui,
etc., etc., nor for agencies which are intermediaries for such
companies, because I already have that information.

My hope is that local/'small' companies will offer lower prices than
the big nationwide ones. That has been our experience with previous
rentals (out of Sydney, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth). So now we need a
Brisbane contact.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
gerrit

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
I am looking for local rental companies in Brisbane which rent out
(small) campervans - both 2WD and 4WD - or/and (small) 4WD cars.

I am *not* looking for nationwide companies like Apollo, Britz, Maui,
etc., etc., nor for agencies which are intermediaries for such
companies, because I already have that information.

My hope is that local/'small' companies will offer lower prices than
the big nationwide ones. That has been our experience with previous
rentals (out of Sydney, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth). So now we need a
Brisbane contact.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Frank
Just did a Google search and admit that not much came up.
Maybe it needs someone with local knowledge to reply.
What I did find other than the major companies or agent mobs are these.
The first lot are basically 4WD in or near Brisbane.
The second are two camper companies which are not too big (at first glance).
Hope this helps somewhat.

Gerrit - Perth

http://www.brisbane4wdhire.com.au/
http://tinyurl.com/32egdz
http://www.4wdrentals.com.au/

http://www.govans.com.au/locations.htm - not totally small and local but not
a big national like herz, Appollo, etc either. Haven't looked at rates.
http://www.abcintegra.com.au/ - similar to above.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On 21 May 2007 19:00:48 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

I am looking for local rental companies in Brisbane which rent out
(small) campervans - both 2WD and 4WD - or/and (small) 4WD cars.

I am *not* looking for nationwide companies like Apollo, Britz, Maui,
etc., etc., nor for agencies which are intermediaries for such
companies, because I already have that information.

My hope is that local/'small' companies will offer lower prices than
the big nationwide ones. That has been our experience with previous
rentals (out of Sydney, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth). So now we need a
Brisbane contact.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

When are you considering starting, for how long, and how
small is too small?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

wrote:

I am looking for local rental companies in Brisbane which rent out
(small) campervans - both 2WD and 4WD - or/and (small) 4WD cars.

I am *not* looking for nationwide companies like Apollo, Britz, Maui,
etc., etc., nor for agencies which are intermediaries for such
companies, because I already have that information.

My hope is that local/'small' companies will offer lower prices than
the big nationwide ones. That has been our experience with previous
rentals (out of Sydney, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth). So now we need a
Brisbane contact.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

When are you considering starting, for how long, and how
small is too small?

Current plan is second half of February (2008! :-)) for six weeks.

How small is too small? That's a difficult question, so let me give
you (plural you) some more background info:

Last two trips were in Camperworld's Bushcruiser, a 4WD Toyota
'Troopie' (sp?) type Landcruiser which has a bigger 'build-up' than
other (4WD) hightops or poptops. For details see the URL at [1].

This campervan was great, but no other company has anything similar
and surely not at Camperworld's prices (Don't be misled by Camperworld's
"From only AUD$ 150 a day". We payed much less than that.). So we are
looking at alternatives.

Next time we want to 'do' Queensland and perhaps a bit of New South
Wales, hence pickup and dropoff in Brisbane.

We won't need 4WD (for insurance/rental purposes) most of the time,
but we like the flexibility of a 4WD (rental companies don't allow their
2WDs to be used on unslealed roads).

Therefor we are looking at small 2WD campervans (like the Apollo Hitop
Camper [2]), at small 4WD *cars* (i.e. which you are allowed to take on
unsealed roads, but which are not meant for driving hundreds of KMs a
day on unsealed roads) and at 4WD campervans.

However the 4WD campervans are very expensive (compared to what we are
used to at Camperworld) and only 'needed' some of the time. I saw that
Wicked Campers has one [3] which is somewhat reasonably priced (but they
don't mention any insurance at all!), but I don't see myself/ourselves,
i.e. a couple of 'oldies', driving in one of those crazy-painted ones.

Likewise *small* 4WD cars are very hard to find. The only one I found
was a Toyota RAV4 (or similar) from Hertz, but that wasn't even listed
at the Hertz site itself, only on a site of a Dutch travel agency.

A bigger 4WD car is not worth our while, because they cost about the
same as a 4WD campervan and we prefer those because of the greater
flexibility and lower cost (only camp fees versus the cost of a cabin or
hotel/motel/etc.).

So a long answer to a short question. Now it's your turn! :-)

[1] http://camperworld.com.au/4WD_bush_cruiser.html

[2] http://www.apollocamper.com.au/campervan-hire/hitop.html

[3] http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/Pricing/?Van=Bush
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

wrote:

[...]

I'd like to reply privately, just on a tenuous possibility.
Probably not even that.

My email is (remove the
obvious, remembering I'm a type 2 diabetic:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross

Check out the Yellow Pages. I found 38 companies in Brisbane that hire
campervans.

There are just some jobs that Google (and others) can't do.

Ross

Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Ross wrote:

Check out the Yellow Pages. I found 38 companies in Brisbane that hire
campervans.

Thanks! I'll have a look at those.

Who would have thought of *that*! "pages"! Sounds like that old
fashioned paper stuff! :-) [1]

But luckily the web came to the rescue once more and all is back to
normal:

There are just some jobs that Google (and others) can't do.

You can say that again! Google gave 258,000 'hits' for "Brisbane
campervan" and that doesn't even include 4WDs and cars. And there is no
way to indicate "local". A tad too much to wade through!

[1] Just kidding. We're just back from a six week trip in Oz where paper
was all we had/used. No computer or other gadgets, thanks heaven! Only a
mobile phone and that didn't work most of the time, so that was great! :-)
BTW, does a digital camera count as a gadget? :-)
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Shelby

Default OT: Yellow

Ross wrote:

Check out the Yellow Pages. I found 38 companies in Brisbane that

Don't you mean "check out (the?) Yellow"

Seems like they have dropped the word "Pages"

They "want to become more relevant" (LOL). See:
http://launch.yellow.com.au/?intref=...ntref=ypftile2

So I can "search the Yellow Directory", find out what I need on the go with
Yellow Mobile, or at HomeAtYellow I can research and plan my home projects.

So if I want find a travel agent, I can just get out (the?) Yellow!!!! Ask
some-one you live with, to get you the Yellow. Bet they'll say Yellow
what!!!

Someone obviously had too much time on their hands and wanted to spend money
unnecessarily.

Who else thinks this re-naming is ridiculous/stupid/silly/dumb?

It raises the question, are they going to re-name the white pages White?

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross

Default Yellow

It raises the question, are they going to re-name the white pages White?

Whoops? Is that politically correct?

Ross