Must see in L.A area?

Old August 28th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Icono Clast

PeterL wrote:
"Icono Clast" wrote:
tom wrote:
just be aware its tiresome.

Having driven it many times over the decades, I have never found it

so.

I think he meant tiring, not tiresome.

Oh.

Another illustration of why it's so important to say what you really
mean to say in this medium.

Presuming you're correct:

Having driven it many times over the decades, I have never found it
so.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay net
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Bill Jackson

Please tell more about The Grove. What is it? Worth the time when
next I'm down there?

The best thing about the Grove is you can get a great (360 degree)
view of L.A. from the top of the parking structure (8th level). Go
there and check it out; you won't be disappointed.

The smog is much less obtrusive than it was in the 1960s and 1970s.
The trend towards improvement has, unfortunately, halted. The growing
population and the fact that the average person drives many more miles
today than they did in the 1960s and 1970s has begun to reverse the
gains from technical improvements to point and mobile sources of
emissions.

And also all the illegal Mexicans (LA's parasites) clogging our roads.
Old August 28th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Roger B.

"Bill Jackson" wrote...
And also all the illegal Mexicans (LA's parasites) clogging our roads.

Probably because they mostly drive those old ozone-emitting cars
from the 60's and 70's. If they all drove new cars, it might not be
such a problem. satire [R]

Old September 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM
PETER PAN

If you like the beach scene, try Orange County beaches like Laguna
Beach, Dana Point etc...WHich are about 50 miles south of LA. These
beaches are cleaner, less crowded and generally safer. Temperature has
been hovering around 90F this week so it should be nice to take a swim
in the ocean.

Laguna Beach is an artist colony with lots of art galleries, good
restaurants and a nice quaint beach town to hang around. Newport
Beach has a lot of serious restuarants with just about all types of
cuisine. It also has a lot of bars where you can hangout with the
younger suburban set.

If you want beaches with a lot of urban people, Santa Monica and
Venice Beach in LA county are very crowded with people and vendors
selling all sort of things...You should be more careful here as a lot
of those people are slum dwellers, and you may be their targets for
petty crimes...

The Cal Tech operates the Jet Propulsion Lab as well as astronomy
sites on top of San Gabriel moutain and Mount Palomar. The lab is
tough to visit but the astronomy sites are open to the public. Just
drive up and pay a few dollars for entry. If you like to technology,
right next to LAX is the city of El Segundo that has large
aerospace/defense companies. Northrop/Grumman aseembles the F/A-18
Hornet and various sections of the 747 here. Boeing/Direct TV
assembles the large sattelites here also. Boeing in Long Beach
aseembles the 717, C17 and a bunch of other jets.

From LA it's only 150 miles of fast freeway driving to San Diego where
you can visit the beautiful San Diego zoo, Seaworld, and perhaps
Tijuana, Mexico right across the border.

"Xavier" wrote in message ...
Thank you to all of you who are helping us!!

Many of you ask which are our interests. We plan to go to Hollywood to see
the main attractions, but, for instance, I don't think we go to see the
star's houses... I think that it's not interesting...unless un plan to buy
one of them and want to get some ideas... :-).
I prefer to see the main beaches and surrounding nice cities. If there's any
spectacular museum, I don't want to loose it, neither.

I'm a little lost because at the L.A tourism webpage, they don't give many
ideas of things to do... so (maybe) there aren't really many things to do!!
In that case, we'll head to the coast slowly and visiting everything you can
kindly recomend.

As some of you already know, I would have liked to visit the JPL at Pasadena
(but you must book for a visit 4 months ahead!! and 4 months ago I didn't
even know if I could have some vacations!! I'm a freelance computer analyst
and developer and never know when I'll be able to leave the office.) I'll
have to leave Pasadena for another year :-((((((((((

Some of you already gave me, some days ago, some tips about astronomy sites
to visit. I'll go there instead of the JPL. Anyway, I don't want to focus
the visit on space-related sites, since I travel with other 3 persons that
are not much interested in that subject and I don't want them to be bored.

Old September 6th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Bill Jackson

If you're interested, you can do a Charles Manson tour. You can start
at the Spahn Ranch, located near Chatsworth, a district of L.A. at the
far far West end of the valley. You can head to El Coyote restaurant
which is where Sharon Tate had her last meal. You can then head to
the Hall of Justice (downtown L.A.) which is where the trial was held.
Tons of other sites, most of which can be found easily on the web.

"Xavier" wrote in message ...
Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all the
websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

We'll be in L.A for 1 or 2 days and we'll drive to San Francisco along the
coast.
Since we're not in a hurry, we'll take about 2 days from L.A to San
Francisco, so we have time enough to see the magnificent Californian coast.

Could you give some advice about things we shoud do and see (or not do and
not see) in L.A. area ?

About the coast, we'll need somewhere to sleep....(believe it or not!! :-))
I already know that we'll find tons of motels but could you recommend any
one in particular because of its location, service, nearby sightseeing....

Thanks!
Xavier