Parking OUTSIDE Big Cities

Old September 5th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Parking OUTSIDE Big Cities

While not uniformly the best in all locations a good choice is to go to
the airport and drop your car in long term parking. Ot's usually a
reasonable choice for the area and there will be a reasonable way to get
into the city.

wrote:
We are interested in making a driving trip to see areas of interest
between DC and Boston, including NYC. For these cities themselves,
however, we would rather not be encumbered by a car -- particularly in
Manhattan. Is it possible to find safe, relatively inexpensive parking
outside of these major cities and then travel to our lodgings by bus,
train, or ferry? I have heard about the Weehawken ferry parking in NJ,
but am not sure this is still a good alternative. Thanks.

Old September 5th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote in message ...

We are interested in making a driving trip to see areas of interest
between DC and Boston, including NYC. For these cities themselves,
however, we would rather not be encumbered by a car -- particularly in
Manhattan. Is it possible to find safe, relatively inexpensive parking
outside of these major cities and then travel to our lodgings by bus,
train, or ferry? I have heard about the Weehawken ferry parking in NJ,
but am not sure this is still a good alternative. Thanks.

In DC consider staying at the Harrington. Its shabby and old fashioned
but has a superb location 2 blocks from the mall and they have
a parking deal

Keith

Old September 6th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
"Larry" wrote:

I park at the Weehawken ferry terminal daily as a commuter. Parking is
$7 a day ($8 if you arrive after 10 AM)

Huhhh? More money for less parking time?

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:50:13 GMT Bill Pittman
wrote:

:In article ,
: "Larry" wrote:

: I park at the Weehawken ferry terminal daily as a commuter. Parking is
: $7 a day ($8 if you arrive after 10 AM)

:Huhhh? More money for less parking time?

Many places with Early Bird specials.

The early arrivers will most likely be commuters, a constant source of $$$$'s.
The late arrivers are more likely one of's.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old September 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM
MLD

Boston is very manageable from either the North or South. Both locations
will put you right on the mass transit lines (The T) and the fare is only
about a $1 now. I'm familiar with the North Shore--In Revere there is
Comfort Inn (walking distance to the T. A bit further North (Saugus another
Comfort Inn on Rt 1). A short drive to Revere with plenty of parking, paid
about $3 for the day and unlimited along Ocean Av and the Beach; 20 min
ride to Boston.
MLD

Old September 6th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Todd Kunioka

(Miguel Cruz) wrote in message ...
wrote:
Thanks for the good info. I have driven into Boston before, and I guess
it shouldn't be that hair-raising if I get a hotel close to a turnpike
exit. As for DC, I have a friend who lives in Arlington and her
recommendations are the same as yours. But Manhattan -- yikes, that's
terrifying! I am an LA freeway veteran, but would never try to drive in
NYC.

I've occasionally driven in Boston and plenty of times in NYC (but never
LA!).

I'd say if you can handle Boston you won't have much trouble in New York -
in Boston the roads are twisty and the drivers psychotic. In New York it's a
grid and the drivers are just impatient.

I've never driven in Boston, but I'm from Los Angeles and I have
driven in New York and DC a few times. The New York trips were while
I was going to school in Rochester.

Compared to Rochester, I actually found the New York driving
refreshing. While the drivers were aggressive, they were also "good"
and predictable. You didn't get the common problem of three or four
drivers keeping the same speed and blocking off all the lanes on an
expressway. Drivers might "cut you off," but they did so with their
foot on the gas pedal. They move into your lane quickly, pass, then
get out of the way. If you're willing to use both feet to drive [so
you can alternate between braking and accelerating quickly], driving
is not so bad. On the other hand, if you're a meek driver, you might
have some difficulty merging into and out of traffic. Also, parking
was a real pain in the butt.

DC is child's play by comparison to either.

DC has many roads that are not laid out on a grid. I suppose this
made sense in an era of horse-drawn carriages, but it makes for some
inefficient intersections today. Also, the volume is just too much
for the roads to handle. Driving there was more frustrating than
difficult or scary.

TK