How to pack light, some tips

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

Default How to pack light, some tips

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...

never have been able to afford to go to before. When they get there
they can do their work from a laptop on a beach instead of pushing
paperwork around stuck behind a desk in some office on the other side
of the world.

I thought the clerk was on holiday......... Moreover, sand would damage the
computer in no time.

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

sharx35 wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Chris Blunt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:26:47 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the
free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not
having a mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need
one.

I find a phone to keep in touch with people even more useful
when
I'm traveling than it is at home. It also serves as a camera, an
alarm clock, a GPS, and a way to check my emails. Something so
compact that does all that and only weighs around 100g easily
justifies being taken along on any trips I make.

Chris

They take lousy quality pictures.

In fact I think the 5 megapixel camera on my Nokia N95 takes
better
pictures than my Canon IXUS which I bought only a couple of years
ago.
It may not be a professional quality camera, I don't think anyone
would describe the quality as lousy.

No, you do NOT need GPS unless you are,
perhaps, on safari and surely the OPERATORS of the safari will
take
care of THAT need.

No, I certainly don't *need* GPS, but its was very nice to have
while
driving around Thailand a few weeks ago. On several occasions it
made
finding locations we were visiting a lot easier.

E-mails can be checked at any one of the MILLIONS of cyber cafes
in the world.

Of course, and that's probably what I'd do if I wanted to do any
serious work online. The advantage for me is being able to check
instantly from anywhere whether there's any email that needs
attending
to in the first place, without even having to go near an internet
cafe.

Personally I've never gotten an email that _needed_ checking. If
someone really wants to get hold of me they can call and if they
want
to get hold of me when I'm on vacation they can bloody well leave a
message and wait until I get home.

The cell phone is for _my_ convenience, not for the convenience of
others. While I always carry it, unless I'm using it or expecting
call from someone I want to talk to, it's turned off.

Well, if I ever DO get one, that will be my attitude, too. It will
usually be turned OFF, unless I am calling out or expecting an
urgent
call.

Oh, now I get it, you're afraid of the unfamiliar. If you've had one
and decided that it didn't fit your needs that's one thing, but until
you've actually got some first hand experience you shouldn't go around
hurling insults at people who have found them to be useful.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

sharx35 wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote in message

. No, you do NOT need GPS unless you are, perhaps, on safari

Or on a walking holiday somewhere...

E-mails can be checked at any one of the MILLIONS of cyber cafes
in
the world.

Cyber cafes are disappearing fast in Europe. Everyone has a
computer, wireless access is available in many town centres, and
even in some rural areas. I don't think there's a cyber cafe
within
forty miles of where I live these days, there used to be half a
dozen, but I can get free wireless access down at my local pub..

Yet ANOTHER reason for dropping in at the pub, eh?

Note what he said, "free wireless access". Not an open computer or
terminal. That means that he needs something that can connect to that
access point.

So which would you rather lug around, a few ounces of cell phone or a
few pounds of computer?

--
William Black

I watched the gift shops glitter in the darkness off the Newborough
gate All these moments will be lost in time, like icecream on the
beach
Time for tea.

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
erilar

In article FMAyi.93$Pd4.67@edtnps82, "sharx35"
wrote:

Well, if I ever DO get one, that will be my attitude, too. It will usually
be turned OFF, unless I am calling out or expecting an urgent call.

I have one I use for travel inside the US that actually has voice mail,
but I turn it on so seldom that I've found months-old messages when I've
done so 8-)

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
erilar

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Copies at home aren't free either and if you're using an inkjet
all-in-one they run when they get wet too.

plastic cover? umbrella?

As to the weight, that depends on how much of the book you need. If
you're going to one town for a few days maybe.

If you're going to one town you can read up ahead of time and get
detailed info when you get there, too.

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

Chris Blunt wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In that case you would have absolutely no need for such a function
on
a mobile phone. Not everyone is in the lucky position of being so
independent of email.

Actually I find the email function quite useful. Before I go grocery
shopping I email my shopping list to my cell phone. But I seldom get
email from others that has any urgency.

The cell phone is for _my_ convenience, not for the convenience of
others. While I always carry it, unless I'm using it or expecting
call from someone I want to talk to, it's turned off.

I don't travel in order to place myself in some kind of self-imposed
isolation, and I usually have friends in places I travel to.

Turning off one's cell phone does not result in "self-imposed
isolation". Travellers had no trouble meeting their friends before
cell phones were invented. But when I'm with one of those friends
then I don't want the phone to interrupt the conversation.

A mobile
is invaluable for keeping in contact with them, arranging meetings,
dealing with last minute changes of plan etc.

Which comes under the heading of "my convenience".

Unimportant phone calls
on a mobile can be a nuisance so I normally use text messaging
rather
than making voice calls because I find it far less intrusive.

That's nice, but I don't usually call myself, and others don't have
your courtesy.

If other
people find writing letters to friend in advance, making use of
carrier pigeons, or leaving messages at hotel reception desks a
convenient way to achieve the same thing, then good for them.

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
erilar

In article EHvyi.176$bO6.169@edtnps89,
"sharx35" wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:24:56 -0400, in rec.travel.europe, "Rog'"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... Any ideas (for my wife) on how to pack for these limits:
... US-Europe... 23kg (50lbs) ea. (2 allowed);
... Inside Europe... a total of 20 kg (44 lbs); and
... Inside Greece... a total of 15lkg. (33lbs.)....
... plus a carry-on.
... I said, pack for the least weight allowed, which went
... over like a lead-balloon. =R=

Let her pack as much as she wants and cope *all alone* with the
consequences (carry the
load herself, pay the penalties from her pocket, etc.). It will teach her
a lesson in
common sense.

You don't understand: for MOST of us married people, our finances are
COMBINED...when we married we COMBINED our fortunes, as it were. So it makes
NO difference whose wallet the overweight fees comes out of...the source is
the same.

Make her carry whatever she takes. I'm 73 and do it--a real "pack light"
teacher.

Old August 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...

never have been able to afford to go to before. When they get there
they can do their work from a laptop on a beach instead of pushing
paperwork around stuck behind a desk in some office on the other
side
of the world.

I thought the clerk was on holiday......... Moreover, sand would
damage the computer in no time.

Priceless exchange on one of the fora on Compuserve many years
ago--guy's having trouble with his laptop, he's corresponding with a
female tech at I think it was Digital Research. Turns out that he's
online from the bar at the Royal Hawaiian. After a while they agree
that he's going to fly her to Hawaii for the purpose of fixing his
computer.

Old August 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:28:28 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Discovering America is easy--if you sail west from Europe it's pretty
hard to miss.

Discovering Aunt Millie's new place when Aunt Millie is one of those
can't give comprehensible directions is another story.

Easy instructions for a total stranger.

Go past Jones pasture, then turn right where the old school
used to be, then left two miles before you get to the
Peterson place. Millie's place is the one with the red back
door.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"sharx35" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

"sharx35" wrote in message

Those guys who are saddled with "high maintenance" wives, take note.

Define 'high maintenance' in this case please.

In a nutshell? Demanding entitlement bitches who think that their butt is
made out of gold.

Well the words seem to be in English but they don't make any sense.

Does anyone know what this means?

--
William Black

Time for tea.