How to pack light, some tips

Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
The Golfer's Wife

Default How to pack light, some tips

I am late to this topic and haven't been able to read the huge
response list! Here's my take. I am a very frequent traveller and
have learned from many previous mistakes, dating from 1981.

We recently spent 4 weeks in Italy and Croatia and usually either with
familty or otherwise at 3* hotels. One apartment in Croatia. I did
not take a hair-drier and only missed it in Croatia because not
supplied in the apartment. Only 5 days, so managed.

I have found that (as a woman) I can get by with 3-4 interchangeable
outfits. Non-crush washable pants (3 pairs - one pair worn on all
long-haul flights and colour black). One pair of shorts, two pairs of
sox and a few pairs of knee-high nylon hosiery in neutral brown. I
took two skirts, one half-slip to wear with the skirts and 3-4
double-net uncrushable tops to wear with the skirts and pants, plus 2
all-cotton tops to co-ordinate. 3-4 pairs lightweight knickers and
2 bras (one black one white). A cake of stain-removing soap, the
minimum of cosmetics and costume jewellry (nothing expensive).

Two pairs of comfortable shoes (one pair to wear on the aircraft), one
medium weight long-sleeve sweater and a zip-up rainpfroof windcheater
of some sort and that's about it.

I got all of the above in a pull-along travel case that weighed about
17kg (sorry can't convert these days to imperial wejghts).

Travelling from New Zealand to Europe involves some long-haul flights
and comfort and warmth are important.

For women a good idea is to buy mini type incontrinence pads and use
these everty day. This means you will freqently get 2 days with the
knickers. If you need a soap substitute for showering, buy this at a
supermarket or pharmacy, take it with you nd throw out any unused at
the end.

And remember one important thing: no one is following you around
Europe (or wherever) with a camera and notebook writing down what you
are wearing. No one really gives a hoot.

Its easy to pack light - its really a matter of discipline. Try it
and you will love yourself for the effort.

The Golfer's Wife
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Aug 21, 8:35 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:46:22 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Personally I've never gotten an email that _needed_ checking. If
someone really wants to get hold of me they can call and if they
want to get hold of me when I'm on vacation they can bloody well leave a
message and wait until I get home.

Yeah, like if you Mom dies or your kid gets sick. Why would you want
to be bothered for that?

I don't travel in order to place myself in some kind of self-imposed
isolation, and I usually have friends in places I travel to.

Turning off one's cell phone does not result in "self-imposed
isolation". Travellers had no trouble meeting their friends before
cell phones were invented.

Of course they did. Why do you think communication devices were
invented and became popular? Because they reduced the problems in
communication?

Now, was it *impossible* before? No. But it's easier now. Which means
problems were reduced.

And please do the world a favor and don't refer to yourself or any
other tourist as a "Traveller". It sounds like the Berkeley
Backpackers trying to pretend they're "special".

But when I'm with one of those friends
then I don't want the phone to interrupt the conversation.

Yes. Only one friend at a time. You wouldn't want to be bothered by
another friend wanting to meet up with you.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
sharx35

"William Black" wrote in message

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

I have a life, and a very nice one too thank you. I wouldn't change it
for anything. I realise the kind of jobs some people have don't adapt
well to being done remotely, but try not to let your bitterness about
that show through in every post you make.

Chris [at a beach resort in S.E. Asia)

I'd have thought SE Asia would be a bit damp this time of year, I only
spend the winters in the tropics.

Well, you know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen.... and the
midday sun.

Bill, [At the English seaside for the summer]

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
sharx35

"Alan S" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:49:29 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

What kind of BLOODY nutbar are you?

Something I've been wondering myself. About you.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

You've been out in the mid day sun too long, Alan.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
sharx35

oups.com...
wrote:

Personally I've never gotten an email that _needed_ checking. If
someone really wants to get hold of me they can call and if they
want to get hold of me when I'm on vacation they can bloody well leave
message and wait until I get home.

Yeah, like if you Mom dies or your kid gets sick. Why would you want
to be bothered for that?

So what? No one is going to bring her back to life. Your kid's recovery will
have little to do with contacting you. The kid will get better..or
sicker...regardless. You might just as well enjoy MORE of your vacation
before it is interrupted by stuff you can't do anything about anyways.
Except worry, of course.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

kirjoitti
glegroups.com...
On Aug 22, 10:37 am, "William Black"
wrote:
"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

I have a life, and a very nice one too thank you. I wouldn't change it
for anything. I realise the kind of jobs some people have don't adapt
well to being done remotely, but try not to let your bitterness about
that show through in every post you make.

Chris [at a beach resort in S.E. Asia)

I'd have thought SE Asia would be a bit damp this time of year, I only
spend the winters in the tropics.

Different parts of it get the rainy season at different times.

That's right. Winters are dry in most of South East Asia. Like in Java and
the Lesser Sunda Islands.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"sharx35" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

You do realise that the first man who wanders along with a box of
chocolates and a bunch of flowers will take her away...

Flowers and chocolates? Yeah, that will REALLY impress the chicks who
are trying to lose wait and avoid an allergic attack from the flowers.
Entitlement bitches want a LOT, LOT more than bonbons and posies. They
want the BIGGEST house, the most expensive car...et cetera on the block.
They want a fancier vacation than any of their friends.

Here is the news.

That's normal.

It's only normal in a community of shallow yuppies. That does NOT make it
acceptable behavior for MATURE adults with PROPER values.

well that's a new one.

I've never been accused of being a yuppie before.

What exactly are 'proper values'?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"sharx35" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

I have a life, and a very nice one too thank you. I wouldn't change it
for anything. I realise the kind of jobs some people have don't adapt
well to being done remotely, but try not to let your bitterness about
that show through in every post you make.

Chris [at a beach resort in S.E. Asia)

I'd have thought SE Asia would be a bit damp this time of year, I only
spend the winters in the tropics.

Well, you know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen.... and the
midday sun.

Sounds like you have what is known as 'a proper job'.

How quaint in this day and age.

Talented people these days work for themselves, where they want and when
they want.

If they want some more money they just work a bit harder for a couple of
weeks.

--
William Black

Time for tea.