How to pack light, some tips

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

Default How to pack light, some tips

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
ti.fi...

I have arranged my travels so that there is little need to be instantly
available. When I want to be in touch to outside world I lease a computer
for a moment to send and receive mail. Sometimes it can be beneficial to
book for mass transportation in advance by phone but I leave this to the
hotel personnel. That's why they are there in the first place (typically
the language barrier hinders me to contact the agent anyways).

Why do you restrict yourself to environments where you don't need a phone.

Mine is mainly used as an alarm clock when I'm on holiday, and a means of
contacting my wife if we separated somewhere we're unfamiliar with.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:01:58 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...

No, I certainly don't *need* GPS, but its was very nice to have while
driving around Thailand a few weeks ago. On several occasions it made
finding locations we were visiting a lot easier.

True. I find GPS gadget typically very practical too. Did you have a
roadmap of Thailand installed to the phone?

Gawd, it makes one wonder how everyone survived WITHOUT GPS for all those
centuries of exploration. The Vikings STILL discovered America WITHOUT GPS.

The Vikings discovering America was like a drunk discovering
the dunny out the back of a pub; instead of turning left to
**** on the wall he turned right and found the toilet.
Similarly, they probably went off to visit Aunt Helga in
West Greenland and got lost.

Maybe if Ericson and Columbus had had GPS they would not
have got lost, Ericson would have found Aunt Helga and
Columbus would have found Calcutta and the Americas would
still be Indian.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

Some people go to places where a mobile phone will work and there aren't any
public phones.

I makes a certain amount of sense to carry a PAYG mobile with a few pounds
credit on it just in case you have a nasty experience.

And a phone is very slim and light nowadays. The charger is a bit more
of a pain to carry in fact, especially as I have to take an adapter for
it. Some UK chargers have a removable UK plug, which exposes euro or us
etc. adaptors.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"sharx35" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...

No, I certainly don't *need* GPS, but its was very nice to have while
driving around Thailand a few weeks ago. On several occasions it made
finding locations we were visiting a lot easier.

True. I find GPS gadget typically very practical too. Did you have a
roadmap of Thailand installed to the phone?

Gawd, it makes one wonder how everyone survived WITHOUT GPS for all those
centuries of exploration. The Vikings STILL discovered America WITHOUT
GPS.

I wonder how many died trying...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"sharx35" wrote in message

Those guys who are saddled with "high maintenance" wives, take note.

Define 'high maintenance' in this case please.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

sharx35 wrote:
"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...

No, I certainly don't *need* GPS, but its was very nice to have
while driving around Thailand a few weeks ago. On several
occasions
it made finding locations we were visiting a lot easier.

True. I find GPS gadget typically very practical too. Did you have
roadmap of Thailand installed to the phone?

Gawd, it makes one wonder how everyone survived WITHOUT GPS for all
those centuries of exploration. The Vikings STILL discovered America
WITHOUT GPS.

Discovering America is easy--if you sail west from Europe it's pretty
hard to miss.

Discovering Aunt Millie's new place when Aunt Millie is one of those
can't give comprehensible directions is another story.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

Chris Blunt wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:26:47 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not
having a mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need
one.

I find a phone to keep in touch with people even more useful when
I'm traveling than it is at home. It also serves as a camera, an
alarm clock, a GPS, and a way to check my emails. Something so
compact that does all that and only weighs around 100g easily
justifies being taken along on any trips I make.

Chris

They take lousy quality pictures.

In fact I think the 5 megapixel camera on my Nokia N95 takes better
pictures than my Canon IXUS which I bought only a couple of years
ago.
It may not be a professional quality camera, I don't think anyone
would describe the quality as lousy.

No, you do NOT need GPS unless you are,
perhaps, on safari and surely the OPERATORS of the safari will take
care of THAT need.

No, I certainly don't *need* GPS, but its was very nice to have
while
driving around Thailand a few weeks ago. On several occasions it
made
finding locations we were visiting a lot easier.

E-mails can be checked at any one of the MILLIONS of cyber cafes
in the world.

Of course, and that's probably what I'd do if I wanted to do any
serious work online. The advantage for me is being able to check
instantly from anywhere whether there's any email that needs
attending
to in the first place, without even having to go near an internet
cafe.

Personally I've never gotten an email that _needed_ checking. If
someone really wants to get hold of me they can call and if they want
to get hold of me when I'm on vacation they can bloody well leave a
message and wait until I get home.

The cell phone is for _my_ convenience, not for the convenience of
others. While I always carry it, unless I'm using it or expecting a
call from someone I want to talk to, it's turned off.

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
J. Clarke[_2_]

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti
om...
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not
having
a mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need
one.

I find a phone to keep in touch with people even more useful when
I'm
traveling than it is at home. It also serves as a camera, an alarm
clock, a GPS, and a way to check my emails. Something so compact
that
does all that and only weighs around 100g easily justifies being
taken along on any trips I make.

Fortunately I don't have to be available for other people at work by
phone. Actually I seldom carry a phone when I am out of home. When I
am back I just check the calls. If wandering in wilderness, a phone
may be a good piece in security terms, but on the other hand I have
never went deep in to wild vistas all my own.

If you're going "deep in to wild vistas" the cell phone usually won't
work anyway. Taking a day hike in Connecticut it's nice to have in
case you slip and break your leg, but coverage when you're away from
areas of high population density starts to get spotty.

Even driving the Trans-Labrador Highway you won't have cell
coverage--for one segment of if the Canadian government will loan you
a 911-only satphone at no charge.

Old August 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:25:03 GMT, the renowned "sharx35"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300, the renowned Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
viestissä:nl3jc3pki22123egcss1f7vrbitem9vb0v@4a x.com...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

You never visit anyone when you're on holiday?
You don't have anyone depending on you back home?
You don't need to make reservations at a restaurant when you're
travelling?
You don't ever trip a credit card security flag and have to call?

Any single one of those makes carrying a modern GSM phone well worth
it, assuming you're mostly travelling where they will work.

Of course if your holiday consists of travelling to a set location or
two and staying in a fixed hotel, a cell phone may be a needless
luxury, particularly if you don't have a demanding job, but in that
case, the extra weight is of little consequence.

Demanding job, does your ****ING contract STATE that you have to be ALWAYS
in touch?

Me? It's to my own benefit, financially and for peace of mind, to stay
in touch. Usually it's not required, but sometimes it comes in very
handy, especially over a period of weeks. When you are aware of
potential problems or have an ailing friend or relative, the phone not
ringing is a very nice thing.

Every motel or hotel or resort that I have EVER stayed in has
TELEPHONES.

aka "profit centers". I have bad memories of the old days when we had
to make a late night trek to some foreign Post Office in a strange
city in order not be taken to the cleaners.

I simply make any calls I need to do every morning or evening
from the hotel I am in.I leave employers, family, friends, etc a copy of my
itinerary, including WHERE I will be each day and the phone numbers of my
hotels.

Only for short business trips or mini-holidays do I ever know that
stuff in advance and in that level of detail. But then packing light
isn't an issue, and the WiFi notebook, mouse, MP3 player with big
headphones etc. usually make the trip too.

That is a LOT cheaper than getting a cell phone and carting it
around.

Cheaper, perhaps, although money isn't always paramount. Hotels can
(and do) charge exorbidant rates for long distance and international
calls. With an unlocked GSM cell phone, in most places except Japan
and Korea, you can pop in a local SIM card and get a local phone
number and prepaid long distance for very reasonable price. In fact,
I'm seriously thinking of bringing *two* cell phones (and chargers)
the next time I go to Asia for an extended period of time.

Now, taking the DSLR or not is less of a no-brainer, and I don't even
have all the lenses I want yet. Thousands of dollars worth of stuff,
bulky, fragile, easily stolen, but it delivers a tangible benefit in
terms of potential quality of photos compared to a tiny
point-and-shoot camera. Snapshot vs. the kind of photos that can be
blown up, mounted, and put on the wall. Notebook computers likewise,
though the last family mini vacation we went one we brought two
notebooks so there was no waiting. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Rog'

"William Black" wrote:
"sharx35" wrote:
Those guys who are saddled with "high maintenance" wives,
take note.

Define 'high maintenance' in this case please.

Try lugging a 50lb. pullman up three flights of narrow stairs in
a B&B in Bath, and you might have an idea of what it means,
in this case. The phrase "heavy luggage" wife doesn't sound
as classy. As much as I hate to admit it, Magda's comment
about potential hernias hit close to home. :-/