Istanbul and Gallipoli

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

Default Istanbul and Gallipoli

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:23:51 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

Thanks.

I could caption most of your HK photos if you like. I hope you pointed out
the koalas climbing the Lippo Centre (formerly Bond Centre).

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Just a follow-up. I asked Mum for details, but she fell and
broke her wrist on Anzac eve and lost interest in
sight-seeing after that.

If your hotel doesn't work out, the Zeynep Sultan is a bit
downscale from yours (E60-70 range, 3*) but we liked it. You
can see it's location from those pix.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

Thanks.

I could caption most of your HK photos if you like. I hope you pointed out
the koalas climbing the Lippo Centre (formerly Bond Centre).

Just a follow-up. I asked Mum for details, but she fell and
broke her wrist on Anzac eve and lost interest in
sight-seeing after that.

If your hotel doesn't work out, the Zeynep Sultan is a bit
downscale from yours (E60-70 range, 3*) but we liked it. You
can see it's location from those pix.

Is it particularly rocky or otherwise awkward to navigate?

Cheers
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 4 Jun, 15:07, Norman Spiney wrote:
On 4 Jun, 15:59, Surreyman wrote:

On 4 Jun, 11:22, Norman Spiney wrote:

On 4 Jun, 12:05, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:37 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

I'm off to Istanbul for a few days this month. First visit to Turkey and
basically a spur-of-the-moment idea while my wife is visiting her mother.

I'm flying BLR-IST with GF (two four-hour hops with a two hour layover in
BAH and, being GF, will no doubt be late), which cost INR40,000 - about
USD1000 - and staying at the Turing Ayasofya Konaklari in Sogukçesme sokagi
in the Sultanahmet district at EUR120 per night. (No doubt those diacritics
won't come out).

In the middle of the stay I'm planning for an overnight trip to Gallipoli
via Canakkale. The hotel says it does group tours, which I don't especially
mind in an unfamiliar country (and especially if there are knowledgable
veterans on the tour ... not from the original 1915 conflict of course), but
if anyone knows a more interesting way to see the battlefield sites and
memorials I'm listening. I'm OK with bus, train or car options.

I have the LP guide to Istanbul and I'm basically interested in the city's
history, architecture, art, museums, walking, and eating and drinking
(restaurant and raki bar recommendations welcome; I'm completely
omnivorous). I'm not a shopper. I take photos but not well. My brief
research into Canakkale gives the general impression it's a swinging
university town but I may have to adjust that for local sentiments.

Cheers,

George W Russell

Bangalore

all that time and expense just to see some graves ?!- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I suppose Westminster Abbey falls into the same category.

The time is negligible - overnight - and I don't know about the cost
yet.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Westminster Abbey is a large historic building in the centre of
London....
Gallipoli is overrated, Pergammon / Goreme / *Pamukkale are much more
interesting- Hide quoted text -

That depends on one's interests.
Gallipoli is fascinating assuming you're not just there for the
scenery.
Goreme is terrific for the scenery of course.
Pergamon is well beaten, in my view, by several other archeological
sites you haven't even mentioned.
And don't forget Troy while at Gallipoli.
Pamukkale was one of my disappointments, if anything.
Horses for courses.

Surreyman
Pergamon is well beaten, in my view,

Pergamon was great because it was devoid of tourists.

by several other archeological sites you haven't even mentioned.

exactly, theres a **** load of stuff better than Gallipoli

what was wrong with Pamukkale ?- Hide quoted text -

As I said, simply, "horses for courses".
For instance, Priene is probably my favourite archeo site, but others
might not agree.
And some of the caravanserai in the east are amongst the most
evocative sites possible.
The attractions of Gallipoli have nothing to do with scenery
whatsoever, of course.
You might prefer Bodrum. But, wherever, that's your privilege.

Surreyman
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 4 Jun, 15:13, Norman Spiney wrote:
On 4 Jun, 16:02, Surreyman wrote:

On 4 Jun, 12:03, "Viviane" wrote:

That's a pretty tasteless comment. *Those graves mean a lot to those
visiting Gallipoli, particularly Australians and New Zealanders, who lost
many men there. *Tours there are becoming increasingly popular, particularly
in the lead up to the centenary of the battle. *The good thing is that it is
kindling an interest in history, even the bad bits.

If you are not from Australia, it is hard to understand the devastation
caused by the first world war. *Remember that these were mainly young men
who volunteered to join, purely out of patriotism to help fight a war at the
other end of the world. *Back then, it took months by sea to get there.
Many families lost all their men. *Many small towns lost many of their young
men. *All this from a small growing nation.

I could go on and on.

"Norman Spiney" wrote in message

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

Hear, hear!

Surreyman

...you bought that **** too...- Hide quoted text -

That simply deserves no comment.

Surreyman
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 4 Jun, 12:05, grusl wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:37 pm, Norman Spiney wrote:

Westminster Abbey is a large historic building in the centre of
London....
Gallipoli is overrated,

Battlefield sites in general are overrated IMHO
.

I have never yet been to one that didn't look just like a farmer's field

tim

If that's your attitude, it's little wonder that you have no interest.
Hint: It doesn't matter if there's a mountai there or not.
You're entitled to your view. But there's no reason to be so
antagonistic to others'.

Surreyman
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

" A Mate" wrote in message
u...
There's a deal to see at Gallipoli - both in the Anzac Cove area and Cape
Hermes. If your time is limited - as yours is then a guided tour will be
best. Be sure you link up with a company which will tour the area of
interest to you. Essentially there are Australian and NZ 'hot' spots;
British interest points, and the Turkish memorials in both areas.
Personally I found the Quinn's Post area (near the Sergeant Mehmet
memorial) the most interesting. There are reconstructed trenches on the
original lines here too.

In the Cannakale Naval Base there is a smallish Turkish military nuseum
(not far from the Fort) - it has excellent computer driven (in at least 3
languages) interpretative 'posts' which explain just what lay behind the
whole Gallopoli campaign, and how the Turks won. Winston Churchill, First
Lord of the Admiralty at the time, took a long time to 'live down' the
disaster he inspired.

You can - of course - also get easily to Troy from Cannakale.

We spent 3 nights at Gelibolu (the Turkish town near the Battlefields
National Park) and rented a car - so we moved at our own pace to just what
we wanted to see - but still took 4 full days to see everything we wanted
to in the area. The ferry from Cannakale to the battlefield is frequent
and fairly quick.

Thanks for that - very helpful. The heads-up on the military museum is
especially appreciated.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Spiney Norman

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

Bodrum was good for drinking and shagging IIRC but otherwise not much
to see.
I repeat, what was wrong with Pamukkale ?
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
A Mate[_2_]

I should add - that we visited the Military Museum on a Turkish Public
Holiday. Approached the first computer post, only to find it 'occupied' by
adolsecent Turkish youths. We made rude (Australian) noises - but the youths
all stood aside eventually to reveal that they'd set the computer system up
for us in 'English'! Not the first, nor the last example we experienced in 4
weeks in Turkey - of the truly hospitable nature of the people!

You'll surely enjoy the country. Different, but nicely so!

Old June 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:04:20 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Thanks.

I could caption most of your HK photos if you like. I hope you pointed out
the koalas climbing the Lippo Centre (formerly Bond Centre).

Just a follow-up. I asked Mum for details, but she fell and
broke her wrist on Anzac eve and lost interest in
sight-seeing after that.

If your hotel doesn't work out, the Zeynep Sultan is a bit
downscale from yours (E60-70 range, 3*) but we liked it. You
can see it's location from those pix.

Is it particularly rocky or otherwise awkward to navigate?

Cheers
George W Russell
Bangalore

Not as far as I'm aware; not for modern tourists anyway. It
was pretty tough for the Anzacs.

Mum tripped walking down the street. As I'm 61 you can guess
that she's no longer a spring chicken:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 4 Jun, 11:22, "grusl" wrote:

[...]

I repeat, what was wrong with Pamukkale ?- Hide quoted text -

When I was last there, at least, all but a few basins were drained
and, in a fit of eco madness (later stopped) officials insisted that
we all had to walk over the dry basins in bare feet - bloody painful!
Crowded out with tourists (no, I wasn't really one, I was staying at
length nearby). Vaguely interesting geomorphologically, but Hierapolis
above, and the remainder of the Menderes valley, is far more
intersting if in the area.
But, as I keep saying, horses for courses.

Surreyman