Flight from Toronto or Buffalo - why such big price difference?

Old November 11th, 2003, 06:41 PM
PMM

Default Flight from Toronto or Buffalo - why such big price difference?

Hi Alan

"Alan D." wrote in message
Hello everyone;
I was wondering if perhaps someone could explain to me the folowing:

Yesterday I was checking ticket prices (on Expedia and Travelocity) for
flights from Toronto to Cairo for the next year (in the spring time). The
cheapest ticket ticket I found was around 2,800 CDN I believe. Then, I
checked the same date and approximately same flight time from
Buffalo-Niagara Airport to Cairo. The price was in the neighbourhood of
1,300 CDN !!! I need to emphesize here that Buffalo is around 1.5 hrs

drive
from Toronto. Where is this price difference coming from??? Does checking
the prices on the websites as above give me some reasonable numbers, i.e.
what I may be expecting in 6 months time, or are they totally inaccurate?

If
this is the case, i.e. the prices' ratio will be approximately the same

when
I check it again in the spring time, then going from Buffalo would be more
than logical choice. Could someone please explain to me why this is so?
Thank you in advance for any responses.

Best regards,

Alan D.

Probably the ratio will remain the same. I checked into a
Vancouver/Tampa/Vancouver return for January, $1600C, the same dates out of
Seatle $387C. I think to save $1200, I will drive/train to Seattle.

PMM

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM
James Robinson

It must be the days you have selected to travel. I looked at flights in
early April, and the cheapest ones were within $125 of each other. Many
flights out of Buffalo were more expensive.
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:18 PM
McGurk, Peter

"Alan D." wrote in message
Hello everyone;
I was wondering if perhaps someone could explain to me the folowing:

Yesterday I was checking ticket prices (on Expedia and Travelocity) for
flights from Toronto to Cairo for the next year (in the spring time). The
cheapest ticket ticket I found was around 2,800 CDN I believe. Then, I
checked the same date and approximately same flight time from
Buffalo-Niagara Airport to Cairo. The price was in the neighbourhood of
1,300 CDN !!! I need to emphesize here that Buffalo is around 1.5 hrs

drive
from Toronto. Where is this price difference coming from???

Toronto is in Canada. Buffalo is in the USA. Different markets, different
prices. The fact that they are close by matters not a jot.

I live in Switzerland. I can drive 5 minutes, go to a Swiss supermarket,
and pay inflated prices. I can drive 15 minutes, go to a French
supermarket, and pay lower prices.

Old November 11th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Alan D.

Hi guys;
Thanks for your quick replies. Just to let you know, and perhaps, if someone
would like to check it out in person... I just tried it again. Using
www.expedia.ca and the following dates:

Dep: April 1, YYZ (Toronto Pearson) Dep: April 17, CAI (Cairo) 2,700
CDN
Dep: April 1, BUF (Buffalo-Niagara) Dep: April 17, CAI (Cairo) 1,400
CDN

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining here =) I just cannot believe that
this is for real!!! For two people you'd save 2,600 CDN just by driving to
Buffalo for 1.5 hours and parking at the airport for 2 weeks =)

Best regards,

Alan D.

Old November 11th, 2003, 11:08 PM
devil

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:26:05 -0600, Alan D. wrote:

Hi guys;
Thanks for your quick replies. Just to let you know, and perhaps, if someone
would like to check it out in person... I just tried it again. Using
www.expedia.ca and the following dates:

Dep: April 1, YYZ (Toronto Pearson) Dep: April 17, CAI (Cairo) 2,700
CDN
Dep: April 1, BUF (Buffalo-Niagara) Dep: April 17, CAI (Cairo) 1,400
CDN

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining here =) I just cannot believe that
this is for real!!! For two people you'd save 2,600 CDN just by driving to
Buffalo for 1.5 hours and parking at the airport for 2 weeks =)

1.5 hours drive, getting through US immigration etc. All of that on top
of maybe 24 hours of flying. Most people just won't go for it.

But my guess is you probably can do much better than CAD 2600 from YYZ if
you shop around. For instance by getting two separate tickets. I would
be surprised if you couldn't get LHR-CAI for less than CAD 900/1000, for
instance.

Old November 11th, 2003, 11:19 PM
mrtravel

devil wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:26:05 -0600, Alan D. wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining here =) I just cannot believe that
this is for real!!! For two people you'd save 2,600 CDN just by driving to
Buffalo for 1.5 hours and parking at the airport for 2 weeks =)

1.5 hours drive, getting through US immigration etc. All of that on top
of maybe 24 hours of flying.

How does the plane stay up that long??
Just kidding. I would suspect that if more people realized they could
save that much money they would be flying from Canada

But my guess is you probably can do much better than CAD 2600 from YYZ if
you shop around. For instance by getting two separate tickets. I would
be surprised if you couldn't get LHR-CAI for less than CAD 900/1000, for
instance.

I suspect they might get a better fare from someplace in the US other
than Buffalo

Old November 11th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Smiley

Hi all

Well your fight from Buffalo must go through a larger city with more
competition and more flights
US has less taxes on air flights

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hot mail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.

Old November 12th, 2003, 12:54 AM
James Robinson

"Alan D." wrote:

Hi guys;
Thanks for your quick replies. Just to let you know, and perhaps, if someone
would like to check it out in person... I just tried it again. Using
www.expedia.ca and the following dates:

Dep: April 1, YYZ (Toronto Pearson) Dep: April 17, CAI (Cairo) 2,700
CDN
Dep: April 1, BUF (Buffalo-Niagara) Dep: April 17, CAI (Cairo) 1,400
CDN

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining here =) I just cannot believe that
this is for real!!! For two people you'd save 2,600 CDN just by driving to
Buffalo for 1.5 hours and parking at the airport for 2 weeks =)

I went to the British Airways site, and found flights for under $1500
CDN.