Are Airlines Allowed to Fly With No One in Exit Row Seats?

Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

Default Are Airlines Allowed to Fly With No One in Exit Row Seats?

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

Sancho Panza wrote:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

It depends. I know European regulations require someone to be seated in the
exit row on larger aircraft. There are exceptions where weight/balance
issues require seating of passengers in other parts of the aircraft for
safety, like on the smaller commuter aircraft. The US probably mirrors
those regulations.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In James Robinson
wrote:

Sancho Panza wrote:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

It depends. I know European regulations require someone to be seated
in the exit row on larger aircraft. There are exceptions where
weight/balance issues require seating of passengers in other parts of
the aircraft for safety, like on the smaller commuter aircraft. The
US probably mirrors those regulations.

Imagine a flight with only one passenger ...

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim....

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
In James Robinson
wrote:

Sancho Panza wrote:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

It depends. I know European regulations require someone to be seated
in the exit row on larger aircraft. There are exceptions where
weight/balance issues require seating of passengers in other parts of
the aircraft for safety, like on the smaller commuter aircraft. The
US probably mirrors those regulations.

Imagine a flight with only one passenger ...

I don't have to!

tim

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message someone claiming to be
Sancho Panza typed:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

I've actually asked this on a half-empty Westjet flight, I was in the
window seat and although half the plane was empty (with several
completely empty roads), but the guy in the middle paid a couple extra
dollars to book that seat in advance and apparently didn't want to move.
Fair enough. I figured I'd let him have the exit row seat if he wanted
it and I'd take a free row to myself, but I checked with the flight
attendant since I'd already gotten "the speech"

I was told that someone needs to be seated in the exit row during
take-off and landing but between I'm free to sit elsewhere, and/or the
middle-seat guy could take my seat.

Whether that's a US or Canadian regulation, or just a Westjet policy, I
don't know.
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

On 02/23/2011 04:54 PM, Bert Hyman wrote:
In James Robinson
wrote:

Sancho wrote:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

It depends. I know European regulations require someone to be seated
in the exit row on larger aircraft. There are exceptions where
weight/balance issues require seating of passengers in other parts of
the aircraft for safety, like on the smaller commuter aircraft. The
US probably mirrors those regulations.

Imagine a flight with only one passenger ...

... it's called "cancelled for technical reasons"..
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message someone claiming to be Tom
P typed:

wrote:

Sancho wrote:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

It depends. I know European regulations require someone to be seated
in the exit row on larger aircraft. There are exceptions where
weight/balance issues require seating of passengers in other parts of
the aircraft for safety, like on the smaller commuter aircraft. The
US probably mirrors those regulations.

Imagine a flight with only one passenger ...

.. it's called "cancelled for technical reasons"..

Not if the need the equipment somewhere else to service a flight that is
worth the money...
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

On 02/28/2011 07:21 AM, DevilsPGD wrote:
In someone claiming to be Tom
typed:

wrote:

Sancho wrote:

Just a question to settle a friendly disagreement.

It depends. I know European regulations require someone to be seated
in the exit row on larger aircraft. There are exceptions where
weight/balance issues require seating of passengers in other parts of
the aircraft for safety, like on the smaller commuter aircraft. The
US probably mirrors those regulations.

Imagine a flight with only one passenger ...

.. it's called "cancelled for technical reasons"..

Not if the need the equipment somewhere else to service a flight that is
worth the money...

Agreed. But it could make the difference between an airline that cares
and Ryanair.