"Non-standard" beach vacation destinations on E Coast?

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:59 AM
223rem

Default "Non-standard" beach vacation destinations on E Coast?

in Viriginia/NC/SC/Ga? I'd like to avoid "popular"
destinations (such as Myrtle Beach or Virgina Beach),
nature is more important to me than restaurants/golf courses/shopping.
Not interested in 'family' destinations either.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!
Old June 13th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Netguy

Why not try some state park beach vacations? Huntingdon beach state
park (south of Myrtle Beach) comes to mind. No accomadations tho.

In article ,
says...

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
223rem wrote:

in Viriginia/NC/SC/Ga? I'd like to avoid "popular"
destinations (such as Myrtle Beach or Virgina Beach),
nature is more important to me than restaurants/golf courses/shopping.
Not interested in 'family' destinations either.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Go camping in Asoteaque or Chinitique islands. And I am sure I mispelled
the names of those places, but it should be close.
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:51 PM
M. Tiefert

Shawn Hearn wrote:
In article ,
223rem wrote:

in Viriginia/NC/SC/Ga? I'd like to avoid "popular"
destinations (such as Myrtle Beach or Virgina Beach),
nature is more important to me than restaurants/golf courses/shopping.
Not interested in 'family' destinations either.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Go camping in Asoteaque or Chinitique islands. And I am sure I mispelled
the names of those places, but it should be close.

Try Assateague and Chincoteague. :-)

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall & Eclectic Schoolhouse: http://stores.tiefert.com/

Old June 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Brian K

On 06/12/2004 7:59 PM 223rem consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

in Viriginia/NC/SC/Ga? I'd like to avoid "popular"
destinations (such as Myrtle Beach or Virgina Beach),
nature is more important to me than restaurants/golf courses/shopping.
Not interested in 'family' destinations either.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

There is a state park and bird sanctuary just north of Rehoboth Beach,
DE. There are no roads that I know into it. You can get there by
riding a bike north from Rehoboth along the boardwalk and a nature path.

Sandy Hook, NJ is a great natural park with only minimum low natural
impact amenities. There's no overnight camping in the park but you can
stay in either Sea Bright or Highlands and walk / bike in.

Here's another thought. Many of the areas I've mentioned, plus others
along the Eastern Seaboard maintain warm swimming temperatures well into
September. Depending on weather, you might consider an off-season
(after Labor Day) stay. The rates for everything from hotels,
restaurants to parking are much lower off season.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old June 14th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Martin

Go camping in Asoteaque or Chinitique islands. And I am sure I mispelled
the names of those places, but it should be close.

Try Assateague and Chincoteague. :-)

I concur. Both places are next to each other on Virginia's Eastern
Shore. Assateague is the home of the wild ponies described in the
classic children's book, "Misty of Chincoteague". Plenty of nature
and beach on Assateague. Chinco is a quiet fishing village for most
of the year but hosts the annual "Pony Swim", I believe during the 4th
of July, that is a major attraction. Going the other way (literally),
just west of Chincoteague Island is NASA's Wallops Flight Facility
that hosts an aeronautical research airport, satellite tracking
facility, and research rocket launching site. Wallops has a very
interesting Visitors Center for the public.

Martin