Travellers cheques to Thailand?

Old January 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Tchiowa

Who Goes There wrote:
Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with

me in
March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to

find the
best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if

I get
the cheques in $US or GBP?

The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is

because
my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2%

(minimum =A32)
for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their rules.

I'm unsure what is the best value so any input would be appreciated.

thanks

Change banks. My bank doesn't charge any of that. And if a machine
charges my account, my bank credits me for the amount of the charge.
Very common with US banks these days.

Since you're bank says they are charging you for a "cash advance" that
sounds like their rules for credit cards, not debit cards. Using a
debit card does not constitute a "cash advance".

You will pay a small fee to cash traveller's checks in Thailand. And
it's becoming harder and harder to find places that will cash them.

Old January 31st, 2005, 11:12 PM
Who Goes There

justme wrote:
"Who Goes There" wgt@home wrote in message

PeterL wrote:

"Hello bank. Thanks for your message, but no thanks. You charge
exorbitant
amounts that is way beyond other banks. Please close my account and take
your charges to where the sun don't shine."

I'll be changing banks when it's convenient to do so.

Travelers checks have become a joke these days..don't you have an ATM card?

Yes but my bank charge a lot for using them abroad which is why I posted
the original question.
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Viviane

Shop around. We have accounts with 2 different banks in Australia. Got
home from a trip to Thailand to find one charged us $5 for the privilege of
withdrawing our money overseas. The other charged nothing. Guess which
account we closed down. Banks will keep charging what they can get away
with unless people vote with their feet. Don't put up with it - it is your
money after all.

"Who Goes There" wgt@nowhere wrote in message
Hi all

I think I've decided to take some travellers cheques to Thailand with me
in March and also a small amount of in Thai cash. I basically want to find
the best value for money so does anyone know if it makes a difference if I
get the cheques in $US or GBP?

The reason I'm taking cheques and not using my debit card in ATMs is
because my bank charge me a 2.75% overseas transaction charge plus 2%
(minimum £2) for cash advance. I think it's a bit cheeky but that's their

Old February 1st, 2005, 02:05 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

You will pay a small fee to cash traveller's checks in Thailand. And
it's becoming harder and harder to find places that will cash them.

Most banks will buy them alright.

Old February 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

Absolutely true. Particularly in Thailand. ATMs appear all over the
place in malls, banks, store fronts, etc. Difficult to find a place
that *doesn't* have an ATM. Traveler's checks are a thing of the past.

Traveller's cheques are still used widely and they have by no means died
out. They are especially suitable for those of us who are not provided fast
replacement of lost/damaged plastic when travelling abroad. Naturally once
can use plastic to get cash. However, by far more handy they are for buying
services.

Old February 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM
justme

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

You will pay a small fee to cash traveller's checks in Thailand. And
it's becoming harder and harder to find places that will cash them.

Most banks will buy them alright.

And most banks now say "whats a travelers check"
forget it and get with the 21st century and use the ATM they are safer and
much faster...please just forget the stupid American express and Cooks..the
thing of the past now days..

Old February 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM
Markku Grönroos

"justme" kirjoitti viestissä

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

You will pay a small fee to cash traveller's checks in Thailand. And
it's becoming harder and harder to find places that will cash them.

Most banks will buy them alright.

And most banks now say "whats a travelers check"

Eh? Travellers cheques are recognized in Thai banks. I know this with
certainty. In provincial towns it *may* take pretty much time to sort things
out though.

forget it and get with the 21st century and use the ATM they are safer and
much faster...please just forget the stupid American express and

Cooks..the

Bull. Cheques are as safe as money can be. As said before many of us have
cards which are not replaceable decently like TCs. TCs are just insured cash
money and as that they are not "old fashioned" nor "stupid". If their use
was stupid, I wouldn't use them.

Old February 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM
PeterL

"justme" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti viestissä
oups.com...

You will pay a small fee to cash traveller's checks in Thailand. And
it's becoming harder and harder to find places that will cash them.

Most banks will buy them alright.

And most banks now say "whats a travelers check"

Not true.

forget it and get with the 21st century and use the ATM they are safer

Again not true. ATM cards are more convenient in many locations. But they
are definitely not safer than TC's.

and
much faster...

Depending on location.

Old February 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Markku Gr=F6nroos=20
says...

Bull. Cheques are as safe as money can be. As said before many of us have
cards which are not replaceable decently like TCs.=20

That's why you should carry a backup card. When I travel with my wife,=20
we have each an ATM card and each a credit card. With the credit card it=20
is still possible to get cash, should both ATM cards disappear or stop=20
working.
--=20

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,=20
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,=20
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:46 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , PeterL says...

forget it and get with the 21st century and use the ATM they are safer

Again not true. ATM cards are more convenient in many locations. But they
are definitely not safer than TC's.

TCs can get stolen or lost. Besides it's a bit dumb to carry thousands
of Euro in TCs with you. It's better to use an ATM card, which allows
you to withdraw the cash you need when you need it. You don't have to
plan in advance how much money you will spend on your journey.