Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Miguel Cruz wrote in message ...
Madonna wrote:
Tom Bellhouse wrote:
My card was blocked in Turkey. I was able to call
the 800 number on the back of the card, identify
myself, explain that it was "really me" in Turkey,
and get the block lifted. Much easier to d it
before leaving home, tho.

Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

Turkey is an Asian country.
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Alfred Molon wrote in message m...
emeryt wrote:
I did learn some other
interesting facts however....VISA and MC will charge a 1% conversion
fee.

One more reason not to use credit cards to withdraw money. Credit card
companies routinely charge this 1% conversion fee if you use the card
outside the European Union.

I suppose this margin is paid when debit cards are used as well. I
assume it has nothing to do with the *crediting*.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Madonna

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Madonna wrote:
Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

"800 numbers can only be used in the United States and Canada"
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020513e.asp
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Miguel Cruz

Madonna wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Madonna wrote:
Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

"800 numbers can only be used in the United States and Canada"
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020513e.asp

Congratulations, you've discovered the 1,000,000th piece of false
information on the web.

miguel (who has dialed 800 numbers from Germany and the Netherlands within
the past 6 weeks, and from dozens of other countries over the years)

Old May 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM
S Viemeister

Madonna wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Madonna wrote:
Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

"800 numbers can only be used in the United States and Canada"
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020513e.asp

In most cases, they CAN be used outside North America - but you will be
charged at standard rates. It won't be a free call.

Old May 19th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:14:32 -0400, the renowned S Viemeister
wrote:

Madonna wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Madonna wrote:
Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

"800 numbers can only be used in the United States and Canada"
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020513e.asp

In most cases, they CAN be used outside North America - but you will be
charged at standard rates. It won't be a free call.

Interesting. I can't call US-only 1-800 numbers from Canada, for free
or otherwise, there's just no way to do it that I know of. A bit of a
PITA if they don't list their local number.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:37 PM
JohnT

Madonna wrote:

--

Whilst agreeing totally with Miguel that US 800 numbers can be dialled from
Europe, he didn't mention that the call is not free. It is always a chargeable

JohnT

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:40 PM
David Horne

wrote:

Madonna wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Madonna wrote:
Since when do 800 numbers work in Turkey?

Why wouldn't it? They work pretty much everywhere else in Europe.
Just dial 001 first.

"800 numbers can only be used in the United States and Canada"
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20020513e.asp

In most cases, they CAN be used outside North America - but you will be
charged at standard rates. It won't be a free call.

Interesting. I can't call US-only 1-800 numbers from Canada, for free
or otherwise, there's just no way to do it that I know of. A bit of a
PITA if they don't list their local number.

That might be something to do with the countries having the same country
code? I have no problem calling US 1-800 numbers from the UK at 1p a
minute.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net