When did LA nearly double the cost of using its subway?!

Old January 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM posted to la.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default When did LA nearly double the cost of using its subway?!

Dave Close wrote:
DaveW writes:

And while we are at it, why does it (91) stop 2 miles or so short of the
405 on the West end?

Because idiot planners or nimbys blocked the original planned route.
See http://www.compata.com/lafwys.jpg for details.

Or just drive south on I-110 about a mile and catch 405 northbound.
Those dashed lines equal megamillions for property costs.

JG

Old January 26th, 2006, 04:05 AM posted to la.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit,rec.travel.usa-canada

But here's a question from someone who grew up in LA. I don't remember

that the 605 ever had a name. Anyone know it? I lived near Whittier
when it was built, and we always just called it "the 605".

yes the San Gaberal river freeway I belive it was called

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:12 AM posted to la.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit,rec.travel.usa-canada

mrpanitz wrote:
But here's a question from someone who grew up in LA. I don't remember

that the 605 ever had a name. Anyone know it? I lived near Whittier
when it was built, and we always just called it "the 605".

yes the San Gaberal river freeway I belive it was called

Yep. But that's the one freeway in Greater LA that locals always
referred to by number. The 91 is a close 2nd.

Best Regards,

DAve
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:21 AM posted to la.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit,rec.travel.usa-canada

mrpanitz wrote:
But here's a question from someone who grew up in LA. I don't remember

that the 605 ever had a name. Anyone know it? I lived near Whittier
when it was built, and we always just called it "the 605".

yes the San Gaberal river freeway I belive it was called

See "http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tsip/HSEB/products/named_freeways_2004.pdf"

San Gabriel River Freeway

I'd love to hear a traffic report someday where they used all the
lesser-known freeway names. "Big back-up on the Robert T. Monagan, all
the way to the Carleton E. Forbes."
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:50 AM posted to la.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit,rec.travel.usa-canada

SMS writes:

San Gabriel River Freeway

I'd love to hear a traffic report someday where they used all the
lesser-known freeway names. "Big back-up on the Robert T. Monagan, all
the way to the Carleton E. Forbes."

Well, those are more like honorary names than actual names. They tend
to overlap a lot. I've passed several such honorary signs within just
a mile or two on some freeways.

But you should listen to traffic reports in some southern cities. For
example, in Dallas, you'll hear about traffic on the "Loop 12 Walton
Walker Expressway". It's never just Loop 12, especially since that
designation also covers other roads. And it's never just Walton Walker.

Of course, we could start calling the entrance to LAX, "100th Street
Century Boulevard".
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Greed is to the moralists of the
, +1 714 434 7359 left what sex is to the moralists

--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Politics is the business of getting
, +1 714 434 7359 power and privilege without