where to get Green Card insurance?

Old March 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Larry

Default where to get Green Card insurance?

I wonder where I can obtain Green Card insurance for a US registered
vehicle that I hope to drive through Western Europe for at least 4
months this summer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry

Old March 29th, 2005, 09:42 PM

From the provider of insurance for the vehicle - a green card is a
certificate of insurance, sometimes provided free, sometimes at a
charge, that provides evidence of insurance outside the country where
the primary insurance is issued.

An insurance policy issued in the EU is normally valid in other
countries in the EU (though often only for the legal minimum in
countries other than that of issue). A green card is not necessarily
needed - but can be advisable if extra cover is wanted, or can be
mandatory in less integrated countries - eg Eastern Europe.

Or have I misunderstood the question? Are you actually asking how to
insure a US vehicle in Europe in the first place?

Old March 29th, 2005, 11:23 PM
John Bermont

Larry wrote:
I wonder where I can obtain Green Card insurance for a US registered
vehicle that I hope to drive through Western Europe for at least 4
months this summer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry

Larry,

My page at http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto.htm is a primer
for driving in Europe. It includes a small section on insurance.

I shipped my car from California to Netherlands and bought the "all
risk" green card insurance at a bank. The car stayed under California
registration for the nearly two years that I lived in NL, something I
discovered later is probably illegal, at least since I did not pay Dutch
road taxes. Then I shipped the car back to Long Beach.

A few issues come to mind for your situation:
Can you buy insurance for only 4 months?
Are you aware of the Schengen 90 day limit?
Do you have an address in Europe?

Where is your car now? How are you planning to get it to Europe?

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old March 30th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Larry

Thanks John - my van is already in Europe - stored in Germany since
last fall. Drove 12,000 miles last year in Eastern Europe,
Scandinavia, Russia and Turkey. Got my Green Card insurance here in
the US for a 6 month period last March. Had the card with me when I
landed there. That's what I would like to do this summer. Any ideas?
Larry