Carry-ons (Opinions?)

Old January 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Banty

Default Carry-ons (Opinions?)

In article , Jim
Anderson says...

"mrraveltay" wrote in message
. com...
Jim Anderson wrote:

2. Well, I have to wait XX of minutes for my bag. I will admit there

are
two airports I go into frequently that have very, very slow service.

These
are PHL and BOS. It sucks sometimes. There have been a few
"non-scientific" tests done on this from my perspective. Both times a
business-dweeb that ran me over on the Jetway getting off the plane.
Happens we both rented cars from the the same company. Both times, I

was in
line at the gate pulling out of the lot behind these two different

people.
Circumstantial, sure. As to the whole excuse, I say bull...

Why do you suppose the business person got his car just before you, if
you had to stop at baggage claim? It sounds like he didn't use the gold
service, or maybe he stopped to shave in the terminal because he didn't
want to do it on the plane.

Shave? it was midnight. I was gold and he was gold too... the tag was
hanging from the rearview mirror. Same thing happened to me at YYZ tonight.
Dude had everything in a bin in F. I checked my suitcase. He blazed out,
thru customs, etc with his stuff. We rode the same shuttle to the same
hotel....

It's kinda like the guy who strives to pass you on the road, then you end up at
the traffic light right behind him.

Banty

Old January 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Jim Anderson

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Anderson" wrote in message

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Hell Toupee says...

Jim Anderson wrote:

I agree with your last point whole-heartedly. There's two issues

here
as to
why people HAVE to carry everything on.

1. The MYTH of lost luggage.

Well, there's also the problem of finding valuables disappearing

from
one's checked luggage. In fact, an undercover investigation at our

local
airport discovered a thriving practice in ground crews stealing

from
baggage. That makes people want to keep their valuables with them

on
the
plane - and some of those things are quite bulky.

My immediate thought - ship them insured. But I can see you're

thinking
too...

When I travel for business, I carry approximately $4,000 in

electronics.
When I travel for pleasure, that number increases to $10,000, most of

which
is unscheduled -- the cost of scheduling is FAR too high. However,

you
completely miss the point. Even if every penny was covered at

replacement
value, a check for $10,000 doesn't solve the problem of not having

access
the computer/camcorder/still camera on location, nor does it

compensate me
for the search and shopping time, not to mention the additional time

wasted
at the airport and on the phone trying to track down the missing bags.

I carry, maybe, 3K in electronics for business and add another 2K for
pleasure. And they're always in a carry on. Yes, it's great to have

every
whiz-bang gadget but, geez... gotta take 'em all???

I don't take every "whiz bang gadget." I take what I need. Why is it
so many people are willing to tell me what I do or do not need without
the slightest idea what I do, what I have and what I use it for?

Oh please... the simple fact is you have the proverbial 5 pound bag and we,
yes I say we because we all do it, try and put 10 pounds of crap in the bag.
I don't know what you "need." I don't what to know what you "need." My
point is that if we all, yes, again we, all think about what will fit
instead of saying just take it, the point might become moot.

Old January 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Jim Anderson wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

Jim Davis Sr. wrote:

... 40 minutes ...

I've waited almost that long to get off the plane when people are trying to
break loose the crap they jammed in the overheads.

Anyone who has to break their stride to retrieve their carry-on from the
overhead on the way off the plane has brought too much on the plane. And I
say this as someone who doesn't check anything much of the time.

Hear, hear.... If you can't lift it, how the hell can you call it a carry
on??

There is a vast difference between "can't lift it" and can grab it
"without breaking stride".

Also there is a serious difference between "can't lift it" and "want to
lift it for the next hour as I traverse the airport". FFM

Old January 15th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Me

In article ,
"Jim Davis Sr." wrote:

Here's a question for discussion;
What's your opinion on carry-ons.
I travel for business, and check my tools & suitcase. I carry on my
Computer Case. I can't believe the amount of things that people try to
stuff into the overheads. If I put my case under the seat, I have to sit
with my legs in my chest. It goes up. I'll move it in an unusual
circumstance, but not for the half dozen people toting 2 or 3 fairly large
bags. And no matter what people think, the Airlines DON'T enforce the 1 bag
rule.

I carry on a camera bag, a small backpack that holds my laptop and a few
assorted accessories such as some blank CD-R discs, ethernet cable, etc.
My camera bag has the usual camera stuff in it: a 35mm digital camera, a
lens, lens cleaning stuff, and my travel plans, plus passport (if I am
traveling on an international route). I also carry on a small grocery
bag with a few snacks on it and a bottle of water. The laptop goes in
the bin above my seat; camera bag stuffs easily beneath the seat in
front of me. After we reach cruising speed, I usually get up and take
out my laptop to watch a movie or listen to some music. Works well for
me.

There is no way I would ever allow my camera or computer equipment to
travel as checked luggage. Esp. after seeing how my suitcase gets abused
after many flights.
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
PTRAVEL

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
On 14 Jan 2004 16:48:28 -0800, Banty wrote:

might wind up sanctioned or in jail.

Paul, outside of "My Cousin Vinnie," has any judge done that in the
last 20 years when an attorney's luggage has been lost?

I have no idea, as I've always made sure it's never happened to me and the
same is true of all the other attorneys I know. All I can tell you is that
every district court in the US as local rules which (1) specify appropriate
dress and, (2) indicate that failure to comply with the local rules is
sanctionable. I've known judges to impose sanctions (up to and including
detention) for considerably more minor offenses, e.g. showing up 5 minutes
late for a hearing. Proper dress for court is a huge issue for judges
(which is one of the reasons that I like My Cousin Vinny as much as I do --
it's dead-on accurate and extremely plausible).

The comment about damaging your client seems valid to me.

Old January 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
PTRAVEL

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Anderson" wrote in message

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Hell Toupee says...

Jim Anderson wrote:

[...]

You're really something. I'll say it again: you haven't the slightest idea
what I carry or why I carry it (or how much it weighs). My carryons comply
with all airline requirements. I don't care whether they comply with your
requirements.

I don't know what you "need." I don't what to know what you "need." My
point is that if we all, yes, again we, all think about what will fit
instead of saying just take it, the point might become moot.

Last time: you haven't a clue what I need, how I pack, why I take things,
etc. All you need to know is that I don't violate airline carryon
requirements.

Old January 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM
me

"Jim Anderson" wrote in message ...
[snip]
But, still, I don't see why people want to haul large bags around a
transportation terminal when they can dump them right at the door, and
pick them up right before they leave when they get to their
destination.

Large, yes. I don't actually like hauling the small ones either
and tend to check them.

So what if takes 40 minutes to retrieve the bag?

That's 40 minutes less, often significant in terms of getting
to ones destination on time.

The
person just flew across the continent in half a day, they should be
grateful they didn't have to go by wagon train and take 6 months
complete with risks of starvation and Indian attacks. If they're that
much in a hurry, they should either travel light or ship their stuff
sperately. End of rant.)

Why? To please you? If they're in that much of a hurry, they
should do EXACTLY what they are doing, carry it on. The dumbest
thing to do is to check it and then complain that it took too long
to come out.

I agree with your last point whole-heartedly. There's two issues here as to
why people HAVE to carry everything on.

1. The MYTH of lost luggage.

Not sure why you call it a myth. You acknowledge here that it
happens.

I KNOW there will be a multitude of "well, I
lost mine" posts to this comment. SAVE IT. I've lost one bag and that was
six years ago, even before I started travelling regularly. In the past 3
3/4 years I've done atleast 500 segments. more than 95% of the time I've
checked a bag. The only time I don't is if I'm running late and can't check
it in time. Of the more than 450 flights I've done, my bag hasn't made it
exactly 5 times. Of those 5 time times, the bag has made it to my hotel or
home on the next flight. Couple of times this was the next morning, the
other times is was by noon that day.

Typically it's a function of 2 things, how far you flew, and how far
away from the airport you'll be staying. I had one show up 7 days
later. But I was the better part of a days drive away. However, the
difference between "lost" and "arrives 7 days later" can be nominal
depending upon the circumstances.

2. Well, I have to wait XX of minutes for my bag. I will admit there are
two airports I go into frequently that have very, very slow service. These
are PHL and BOS. It sucks sometimes. There have been a few
"non-scientific" tests done on this from my perspective. Both times a
business-dweeb that ran me over on the Jetway getting off the plane.
Happens we both rented cars from the the same company. Both times, I was in
line at the gate pulling out of the lot behind these two different people.
Circumstantial, sure. As to the whole excuse, I say bull...

My experience has been a bit different. I actually tend to check my
bag, the exception being mostly either an issue of time or if I'm
traveling with associates who won't be. I'm not gonna be the one to
hold them up. 40 minutes is 40 minutes so if you were behind some guy
after checking your luggage, something else held him up for 40 minutes.
If one is in those "straight to your car" clubs, you can be out in
about 10-15.

My two cents worth. Flames to /dev/null.

Not so much flames, just a comment that it is usually considered
"smart" not to intentionally set oneself up for failure. If you
can do things to avoid risks which are significant to you, it
is considered wise to do so. So we allow extra time to get to the
airport which we know can be crowded. We don't carry stuff in our
pockets that we know will be confiscated by the TSA. We carry
around extra credit cards, duplicate ID's, extra cash, all manner
of things to try to handle "contingencies". If someone is bothered
by the wait, is concerned about not having something upon arrival,
or needs to leave the airport as soon as practical, carrying on
their luggage is a wise decision. It might also be wise however
to only try to carry on what is permitted under the rules.
Old January 15th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Banty

In article , me says...

[...]

As long as they comply with airline rules. There's a dumber thing to think
about - hassling with an FA about checking a bag you've tried to carry on. If
they haul too much to carry on legally, then, yes, if it's a 40 minute wait,
that's something to be dealt with.

::snip::

Not so much flames, just a comment that it is usually considered
"smart" not to intentionally set oneself up for failure. If you
can do things to avoid risks which are significant to you, it
is considered wise to do so. So we allow extra time to get to the
airport which we know can be crowded. We don't carry stuff in our
pockets that we know will be confiscated by the TSA. We carry
around extra credit cards, duplicate ID's, extra cash, all manner
of things to try to handle "contingencies". If someone is bothered
by the wait, is concerned about not having something upon arrival,
or needs to leave the airport as soon as practical, carrying on
their luggage is a wise decision. It might also be wise however
to only try to carry on what is permitted under the rules.

Which is how I think - in terms of contingencies. Like packing what's needed for
the next day or so in a carryon, and/or wearing on the flight what would be
passable for one's activities the next day.

It's contingency planning which go to violating rules and imposing on pax which
folks resent here.

Banty

Old January 15th, 2004, 07:22 PM
XOR

(Icono Clast) wrote in message . com...
Mark Hewett said:
I've had to wait in excess of 40 minutes after the
plane has landed, before my bag actually shows up

I'm sure that happens but I've seldom had to wait at all as the last
thing I do at an airport is get my bag.

You're lucky. *Everytime* I have flown into ONT*, depsite taking my
time to get to the baggage area (stop in the bathroom to freshen up,
get a drink of water, etc), I've had to wait more than an hour for my
bags! Arriving at 11pm, already after delayed flights, last thing I
want to do is wait another hour! Unfortunately, I'm usually bringing
loads of stuff (gifts, among other things) so am rarely able to travel
with just a carry-on.

*This has been in the new airport, never had that problem in the old
airport.

Less of a problem at other airports, but sometimes have had to wait a
long time, meaning missing a coach connection by a few minutes,
requiring waiting a couple of hours for the next one.

I carry on my computer, PDA, MP3 player, Movie camera, and
Digital camera. Typically I have a rolling computer case that goes
in overhead bin and a small backpack full of misc. electonic junk.

Why? Airplanes have a broad selection of music in their earphones. Is
your taste so refined that you can't listen to the generally insipid
faire available on 'planes?

Ugh! Really can't stand most of the selection of music on
airplanes...and my tastes are not *that* refined. I don't bother
carrying my cd player though, as it's not worth it to me, even on long
trips since i'll be reading anyway, but the airplane music is rarely
tolerable, IMO.

Many flights present motion pictures
(usually ones I wouldn't go out to see) and what are you going to
photograph during a flight? The clouds? Yes, I can understand a camera
to shoot scenes from a 'plane.

I carryon my digital camera, but that's because I don't want it stolen
or lost. And that's the deal with all my carryon stuff (which is
ALWAYS small enough to fit into one of the smaller standard carryon
bags anyway) - if something is valuable or fragile, I carry it on. I
HAVE had things stolen from my bags in the past, and I HAVE had things
damaged - esp when the bags are searched out of view. Things I
carefully wrapped being basically tossed back inside, arriving
damaged.

If don't have the data in your computer at least two other places,
such as on a disk in your locker at work and another at a friend's or
relative's home, you're a fool! If you lose your computer and your
house burns while you're away, you've lost it all.

Same as above. And I generally carry my computer with me on all
travel, for a variety of reasons (or leave at work if necessary).

Evelyn C. Leeper said:
Or because twice the airlines have failed to send my luggage on
the same flight as me.

It's happened when the bag was brought to my home. And to my hotels,
etc.

I wear a suit and tie when flying. My bag not arriving with me is
certainly an angering inconvenience, but not a major one.

So after an Overnight flight and 15+ hours of travelling, you have to
go shopping to get some new basics and toiletries. Perhaps you enjoy
that, but after a long trip that's the *last* thing I want to do.

*Most* times I've had my bag delayed (and it has happened to me a
lot), it hasn't been delivered until the next day. Unless I'm going
home, where I have other things, it IS a major inconvenience. Not as
bad as the plane crashing, but not some thing I want to frequently do.

Actually, on my trips from the US to Asia, which are typically 25+
hrs, I change clothes and have a wash during one of my layovers. It
does WONDERS for my mood whilst flying. And of course, there's the
occassions when someone (or one's self, but I've never done it
myself), spills a drink on you whilst flying. It's really nice to have
something dry/clean to change into rather than sit for another 15+ hrs
in clothes sticky and smelly of soda or such. I just carry basics, not
the whole wardrobe, but it's well worth it.

FWIW - my carryon is small enough to fit into the overhead facing out
(as opposed to sideways) so you can still fit the full row's worth of
stuff, provided they all have similar bags. And either a daypack or
large purse sort of bag which fits under my seat. The computer goes in
one or the other of these. I actually prefer to have something under
my seat b/c I have short legs and need it to rest my feet on so they
don't dangle.

What I HATE, however, is people who lay their coats out across half
the bin. Well, it never lasts there.... Or people who don't bother to
put their carryons in sideways, making more space available so.