internet access while travelling in australia

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

Default internet access while travelling in australia

Those of more technical bent would be able to answer your specific
questions, but IIRC, phone jacks are different in Aus so that might be a
factor (corrections welcome....)

More generally, however, internet cafes *are* ubiquitous in towns of any
decent size, and certainly in the places you mention. In SA (at last check,
in my case 2002), they were free in libraries, and quite affordable
elsewhere. About the only places where they run into significant coin are
the standalone kiosks (such as at backpackers) or in the bush where
radiophone is sometimes required for a connection.

in article , Robm at
wrote on 1/18/05 9:08 PM:

Hello,

I will be traveling for about 5 weeks in Australia, one week in Sydney, a
few days in Adelaide, a roadtrip from there to Melborne, a week on
Mornington. I understand that internet cafes tend to be pricey and not
ubiquitous. In addition, I need to be able to VPN into various computer
networks in Canada, something that's usually impossible from an internet
cafe. Is it possible to make a a short term deal with a dial-up isp with a
country wide (or at least SA, NSW and VIC) access number? I was looking at
ii and their iidialup2 lite package. Would that work? They have a nation
wide access number that works for residential customers of Atlantis,
Discovery, Explorer, Freedom and, you guessed it, iidialup2. Are these
providers common? would this work in a hotel? How about from a public phone
booth, assuming that public phones have modem plugins (not a good aasumption
maybe)?

The other thing that comes up a lot on Google is dialer.net
(
http://australia.dialer.net/rates.html). Anybody has any experience with
that concept? I can't find anything in Google Groups on that, makes you
think...

Any and all comments appreciated!