Berlin this September

Old May 30th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Sarah Banick

Default Berlin this September

Hi folks --

I've decided to spend 10 days in Berlin this fall, and I plan to do a lot of
cycling throughout the city and Brandenburg.

I've been combing through the myriad of info on the Internet -- and it looks
like I want to stay in either Prenzlauer or Mitte -- right? A interesting
neighborhood, close to restaurants, pubs, etc. (but not late night-life) I'm
looking for inexpensive room, under 50 Euro a night, and somewhere where
they'll let me keep a bicycle. Does anyone have any suggestions, based on
experience? I have bunches of hotel/B&B websites -- what I am asking for is
a personal recommendation, if you have one.

Also, I know cycling is very popular there -- is one neighborhood better
than another, in terms of access to paths, etc.? I'm looking forward to
taking the bike on the train to explore.

Finally, I'd welcome any info on bike paths and trails, both in and out the
city, as well as suggestions for where to rent a bike. I've already tried
the bike groups, with no luck.

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

Old May 31st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Alan \(in Brussels\)

"Sarah Banick" a écrit dans le message de
Hi folks --

I've decided to spend 10 days in Berlin this fall, and I plan to do a lot

of
cycling throughout the city and Brandenburg.

SNIP

Finally, I'd welcome any info on bike paths and trails, both in and out

the
city, as well as suggestions for where to rent a bike. I've already tried
the bike groups, with no luck.

A Google search for : fahrradvermietung Berlin suggests various
possibilities, including :
http://www.berlin.de/tourismus/infos/mobil/fahrrad.html
http://www.zweitrad.de/rent_a_bike_f...ih__berlin.htm

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:02 PM
Tom Peel

Sarah Banick wrote:
[...]

We spent some time in Berlin 2 years back and rented bicycles. You are
right, as a major city, Berlin is remarkably easy to get round on
bicycle. I'd agree with your assessment of the area Berlin Mitte as more
interesting. A lot of former West Berlin was sanitized in the 60's,
whereas the older East Berlin is very much unchanged, in places it still
looks like they left old villages standing in the middle of the city.
There are some very beautiful places outside to explore, like Potsdam
and the surrounding lake areas.
We rented Deutsche Bahn bikes, which you rent by the hour, and just
leave standing. The system is somewhat daunting for foreigners, as it
involves getting yourself registered, then phoning the call cente every
time you pick up or drop off a bike. You really need a cellphone and
good German speaking abilities. We saw a number of bike shops that did
rentals, but we didn't use them.
You might want to start with the ADFC (German Cycling Club). They have
a website at http://www.adfc.de/ which also has links to many travel
services connected with biking

Have fun
T.
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:05 AM
dgs

Sarah Banick wrote:

[...]
I've been combing through the myriad of info on the Internet -- and it looks
like I want to stay in either Prenzlauer or Mitte -- right? A interesting
neighborhood, close to restaurants, pubs, etc. (but not late night-life) I'm
looking for inexpensive room, under 50 Euro a night, and somewhere where
they'll let me keep a bicycle. Does anyone have any suggestions, based on
experience? I have bunches of hotel/B&B websites -- what I am asking for is
a personal recommendation, if you have one.

Others have addressed you bicycling interests, so let me offer a not-so-
unconventional alternative, in the form of Priceline.com. Last year,
I booked the Marriott across the street from Potsdamer Platz; total
cost was $67/night. This year, I'll be at the Alsterhof near KaDeWe,
off Kurfürstendamm for about the same price, which is not very far from
your 50 euro figure. You could probably bid a little lower and get
a reasonable two- or three-star hotel in or near Mitte. This is good
value for the money.

I'd imagine that a hotel like this would also not have a problem putting
a bicycle in a secure, locked area when you're not using it. But then,
if you're renting a bike, that might not matter, since you could simply
return it to the rental place and pick one up again the next day.
--
dgs
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:36 PM

Prenzlauer Berg is the most interesting neighborhood, Mitte is the most
convenient to the sights and museums, Friedrichshain has the best
nightlife, and Kreuzberg is a dump.