Oz - Sydney - Melbourne

Old September 28th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Bill

Default Oz - Sydney - Melbourne

I am planning a trip to new Zealand and Australia in 2006 and have
commenced detail planning prior to booking the Airline tickets.
I am from Toronto Canada and am looking forward to my first trip down
south. Period of travel for the part of the trip in question - Early
March. We will have a rental car.

My questions (the first of may) are

My wife and I will be traveling (leasurly, sigthseeing pace) from Syndney
to Melbourne along the coastal highway. (I have gathered from previous
posts that this is the most interesting route between the two cities)

1. How many days should we allow
2. Where should we stop for the night(s) - (1, two or more nights?)
3. What are the better places to stay
4. What are the 'should' see/do things along the route

Thank you in advance for any assistance
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"Bill" wrote in message
42...
I am planning a trip to new Zealand and Australia in 2006 and have
commenced detail planning prior to booking the Airline tickets.
I am from Toronto Canada and am looking forward to my first trip down
south. Period of travel for the part of the trip in question - Early
March. We will have a rental car.

My questions (the first of may) are

My wife and I will be traveling (leasurly, sigthseeing pace) from Syndney
to Melbourne along the coastal highway. (I have gathered from previous
posts that this is the most interesting route between the two cities)

1. How many days should we allow
2. Where should we stop for the night(s) - (1, two or more nights?)
3. What are the better places to stay
4. What are the 'should' see/do things along the route

Thank you in advance for any assistance

2 Days or 3 Days you need.

http://www.poms.co.uk/austsraliansimcard.htm

http://www.poms.co.uk/australianphotos.htm

Old September 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Dave Proctor

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:26:44 -0500, Bill wrote:

My wife and I will be traveling (leasurly, sigthseeing pace) from Syndney
to Melbourne along the coastal highway. (I have gathered from previous
posts that this is the most interesting route between the two cities)

1. How many days should we allow

I would allow around four nights. The NSW South Coast is full of
interesting places to visit, and you really do want to take your time
exploring it. Making a few short hops also allows you more time to
explore the fantastic places en route without having to worry about
rushing on to get to your next hotel.

2. Where should we stop for the night(s) - (1, two or more nights?)

I would advise the following stops on a SYD-MEL driving trip. Some of
them are well and truely off the beaten track, but then if you want to
experience true Australia, then go for it.

1. Sussex Inlet/ Huskisson/ Sanctuary Point.

All of them off the highway, small hamlets, nice places to visit.

2. Batemans Bay.

Quite a lovely small country town, some great clubs, lost of
sight-seeing available in close proximity.

3. Eden.

Right on the border between NSW and Victoria, has a lot of history,
particularly WRT fishing and whaling.

4. Lakes Entrance.

Some great places to see in close proximity to LE, and if travelling
in summer some great swimming as well.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Julie

Hi Bill,

There are some wonderful places to stop along the way.

There are a lot a "scenic drives" or "tourist routes". Make sure you leave
the highway and travel along as many of these as you have the time to do.
These will take you right to the coast and through many of the smaller
towns.

The Victorian school holidays in 2006 are from 10th March to 27th March.
NSW are later - they start on 13th April.

See http://www.dest.gov.au/schools/dates.htm

I would check when Easter is - that will determine whether or not you should
book your accommodation in advance.

Merimbula, Bateman's Bay, Lakes Entrance would all be good spots to stay.
Plenty of accommodation in all these towns.

Julie

42...

Old September 28th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Ken Pisichko

Do not forget a side-trip to Wilson's Promontory....

.... lots of good information.

Old September 28th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Alan

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:26:44 -0500, Bill wrote:

I am planning a trip to new Zealand and Australia in 2006 and have
commenced detail planning prior to booking the Airline tickets.
I am from Toronto Canada and am looking forward to my first trip down
south. Period of travel for the part of the trip in question - Early
March. We will have a rental car.

My questions (the first of may) are

My wife and I will be traveling (leasurly, sigthseeing pace) from Syndney
to Melbourne along the coastal highway. (I have gathered from previous
posts that this is the most interesting route between the two cities)

1. How many days should we allow
2. Where should we stop for the night(s) - (1, two or more nights?)
3. What are the better places to stay
4. What are the 'should' see/do things along the route

Thank you in advance for any assistance

Hi Bill

I have done that trip many times, both ways, ranging from one day to
three weeks. How long have you got? If you want to be leisurely, a
minimum of four nights. That lets you check out some of the towns that
are off-highway, like Jervis bay, Tuross, Tathra and Mallacoota.

Allow for the fact that for most of the section between Kiama and Lakes
Entrance it is not a freeway but single lane each way with sections
allowing passing. So it's not a trip to do in a hurry. Gradually, new
sections of two-lanes-each-way are being added, but it's still mostly
one each way.

The others have given good advice. On where to stay, I wouldn't book
unless it's Easter. When you get to Sydney go to an NRMA office and buy
an Accommodation Guide, which will list all the motels and hotels
en-route, with facilities and pricing. Then just stop when and where you
feel like it. If you are looking low-budget, get the Tourist Park guide
as well. Also get their detailed maps. Take your local Automobile
Association membership with you because there may be reciprocal
arrangements for discounts or free maps. I received free AAA maps and
guides in the US based on my NRMA membership.

You may be able to get something in advance - check out
http://www.nrma.com.au/.

Almost any of those coastal towns and villages are worth staying at;
just get off the main highway occasionally. In addition to the towns
mentioned by others include a look at Central Tilba (it's become a
little touristy, but still very interesting) and also Bega, particularly
the cheese factory there.

In the same district, take the coastal road, not the highway, from
Bermagui to Tathra.

As a broad guide only, I'd stop overnight around Kiama (a reasonably
short first day, allowing time to get through traffic in Sydney and
Wollongong and get used to the other side of the road), Tathra,
Mallacoota and Lakes Entrance.

And a possible alternative you may not have considered: Spend the first
night in Canberra, then go back to the coast via either Braidwood to
Bateman's Bay, or via Cooma to Bega.

Cheers, Alan
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Alan

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:04:21 -0500, Ken Pisichko wrote:

Do not forget a side-trip to Wilson's Promontory....

Dave Proctor wrote:
... lots of good information.

A great spot, but a bit more than a side-trip. Add a day if you do.
An alternative is to go to the Tarra Bulga National Park about 25 km
south of Traralgon, for a magic walk in a temperate rainforest.
Incredible, tall Mountain Ash. Then you could either return back to the
highway at Morwell or continue on to Wilsons Promontory or Phillip
Island.

Cheers, Alan

Old September 29th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Bill

Thanks Dave, Alan and Julie for you input - this has really helped me
solidify the planning around this segement of my trip

I will allow 5 nights between Sydney and Melbourne

I guess I should give little perspective to thsi trip - I have allocated
100 days travel and tour time to visit New Zealand (45 days) and Australia
(50 days)and travel (5). The first 45 days of the trip are to New Zealand,

The Australia part is:

The next 12 are to Tasmania, the rest NSW, Victoria. I don't think I'll get
to Adelaide but we will adjust these schedules based on your input to the
various questions I will post over the next few months. The last 15 days
are spent with friends in Port Macquarie and a fly in to Red rock country
and resting up in Sydney for the flight home. This leaves approximately 23
days to explore NSW and Victoria.

So here is how I see the utilazation of those 23 days

a. 5 days along the coast to Melbourne
b. 3 days in Melbourne area
c, ?? Days along the Great Cost Road
d, ?? days in the Grampians
e, ?? days to find my way to Port Macquarie.

So the next questions a

a. Are three days in the Melbourne are to much, to little or just right
b. How should I allocate the rest of the time
c. Am I missing somthing significant that i should factor in
d. What is the most interesting way to get to Port Macquarie from The
Grampians

As before I'm appreciative of your input

PS don't you folk sleep.

Thanks
Bill