French accent

Old May 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

Default French accent

On 24 May 2005 07:55:21 -0700, "kyrha" wrote:

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers

It is a permanent fixture that you can do nothing about. There is not
a frog on earth that has successfully removed their distinct accent.

It's pleasant sounding, but for people that don't like the French,
they will find it repugnant.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:23 PM
punktilious

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
kyrha writes:

I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent

A slight French accent in English can be charming. A thick accent,
particularly one that interferes with comprehension, can be annoying.
So can idiosyncratic errors in pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary.

Different French speakers manifest their French accents in slightly
different ways. Some types are more aesthetic than others.

Actually, I am under the impression that a huge percentage of these people
that have French as their native language *intentionally* make their accents
more pronounced. They think their language is so cool and there was a time
in this country, when having that French accent made you more popular with
the opposite sex. But maybe that was a time that has come and gone and
nowadays, it may no longer hold true due to the tension between French and
Americans.

Old May 24th, 2005, 10:59 PM
JX Bardant

"kyrha" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent

It makes the French language much easier to understand...

Old May 24th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Magda wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:23:56 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, "punktilious"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... Actually, I am under the impression that a huge percentage of these people
... that have French as their native language *intentionally* make their accents
... more pronounced.

No, they just don't care about pronouncing foreign words properly.

I don't believe that is generally true.

Many cannot pronounce certain foreign words easily, and don't try very
hard. Much as I do with French.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:41 AM
John Owens

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco"
wrote in message
news:1gx2tk7.ogrwoqnwh6yoN%this_address_is_for_spa ...

On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:10:52 +0100,
wrote:

kyrha wrote:

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers

It's an acute problem.

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net

circumflexiul issue.
too difficult for newsgroups ?

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old May 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Mxsmanic

punktilious writes:

Actually, I am under the impression that a huge percentage of these people
that have French as their native language *intentionally* make their accents
more pronounced.

Some do, most don't.

A more common situation is that French people consider their language
part of their identity, and so they refuse to abandon their accent
("linguistic ego"). Quite a few French speakers have this problem.

They think their language is so cool and there was a time
in this country, when having that French accent made you more popular with
the opposite sex. But maybe that was a time that has come and gone and
nowadays, it may no longer hold true due to the tension between French and
Americans.

That tension is very temporary, and it's also one-way.

Old May 25th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Mxsmanic

Deep Foiled Malls writes:

It is a permanent fixture that you can do nothing about. There is not
a frog on earth that has successfully removed their distinct accent.

I work with several who have.

Old May 25th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Citizen Ted

On 24 May 2005 07:55:21 -0700, "kyrha" wrote:

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers

Women with French accents sound terrific and sexy. Men with French
accents sound like putzes.

- TR
- my first time ever use of "putz" in the plural.