French accent

Old May 25th, 2005, 03:18 AM
irwell

On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:35:31 -0700, Citizen Ted
wrote:

On 24 May 2005 07:55:21 -0700, "kyrha" wrote:

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers

Women with French accents sound terrific and sexy. Men with French
accents sound like putzes.

Wot ees thees thex deescreemeenashun?
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Tom Peel

punktilious wrote:
"kyrha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers
kyrha

It's a "turn-on" when coming from a woman but it's a "turn-off" when coming
from a man. This may be reversed depending on your sex and/or sexual
orientation.

I remember the time I rented a place in Paris from a delightful young
woman. I just loved the way she explained how the taps worked in the
bathtub- it was 7th heaven just listening to her voice.

Conversely, overhearing a heavily tatooed french truckdriver at a
truckstop was another kind of experience.

T.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Jordi

Deep Foiled Malls ha escrito:
On 24 May 2005 07:55:21 -0700, "kyrha" wrote:

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers

It is a permanent fixture that you can do nothing about. There is not
a frog on earth that has successfully removed their distinct accent.

That is something both French & English people share. When speaking
Spanish, at least.

English accent is less distinct, though.

J.

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Padraig Breathnach

"Jordi" wrote:

Deep Foiled Malls ha escrito:
On 24 May 2005 07:55:21 -0700, "kyrha" wrote:

Hi everybody
I'm french and I'd like to know your opinion about french accent
Thank you for your answers

It is a permanent fixture that you can do nothing about. There is not
a frog on earth that has successfully removed their distinct accent.

That is something both French & English people share. When speaking
Spanish, at least.

It works the other way, too. I find French spoken in a Spanish accent
generally quite comprehensible, but strange to my ear.

Most people master the phonemes of their mother tongue, but do less
well with the phonemes of languages acquired later than early
childhood. I don't think we should see it is a problem (although some
language teachers do) but as part of life's diversity.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Jordi

Padraig Breathnach ha escrito:
"Jordi" wrote:

That is something both French & English people share. When speaking
Spanish, at least.

It works the other way, too. I find French spoken in a Spanish accent
generally quite comprehensible, but strange to my ear.

Most people master the phonemes of their mother tongue, but do less
well with the phonemes of languages acquired later than early
childhood. I don't think we should see it is a problem (although some
language teachers do) but as part of life's diversity.

Many people consider speaking without an accent to be the definitive
command of a language... the problem is everyone has an accent of some
kind

J.

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

I've worked with many educated French. I can't think of a single one
where it wasn't obvious that person was French as soon as the person
started to speak.

As I've said, I work with several such people every day. I had to ask
them what their native language was, since I couldn't hear any accent.

I can think of several Dutch, who sound and speak
like native English speakers

That's good, since Dutch itself is very unpleasant to the ear, IMO.

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Mxsmanic

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Most people master the phonemes of their mother tongue, but do less
well with the phonemes of languages acquired later than early
childhood.

Nothing changes at any point in childhood that impairs acquisition of
native fluency later in life.

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Mxsmanic

Citizen Ted writes:

Women with French accents sound terrific and sexy. Men with French
accents sound like putzes.

That's because that's how both groups really are.

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Mxsmanic wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Most people master the phonemes of their mother tongue, but do less
well with the phonemes of languages acquired later than early
childhood.

Nothing changes at any point in childhood that impairs acquisition of
native fluency later in life.

Not true. The brain changes. It's called development.

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Mxsmanic wrote:

Citizen Ted writes:

Women with French accents sound terrific and sexy. Men with French
accents sound like putzes.

That's because that's how both groups really are.

That's a male perspective.