Ayer's Rock -- worth $1500 each?

Old September 4th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Charles

Default Ayer's Rock -- worth $1500 each?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Austrlia next fall with Grand Circle.
Their extension to Ayer's Rock (Uluru) is about $1500 each for five days.
That's a lot of money just to see a big rock in the middle of a desert.

If you have been there, what is your response? Is the experience worth that
cost (I assume the expense is due to air fare for the long distance and that
lodging in the area is pretty high) or would I experience Australia in the
21 days devoted for the rest of the trip (which includes New Zealand and
Figi)?

I await words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Charles Lewis

Old September 5th, 2005, 01:14 AM
A Mate

Charles - only you can answer that!!

What do you travel for - what are your interests?

Uluru is just one component of the 'outback'. Some would tell you that it
represents the 'real' Australia; but in truth over 80% of Australians live
in the coastal cities; so a more authentic Australian experience would be
Sydney!!!!

Re costs - airfares on Qantas are $446AUD return from Sydney to Alice
Springs. Accommodation at 'The Rock' ranges from camping up to 5*.
Personally with just 21 days available - I'd choose one of NZ or Australia
(forget Fiji) and see more of whichever you choose. Both countries offer a
great deal. Fiji is beach, and not much more. Australia has better beaches
and islands with everything Fiji has and more; plus the Great Barrier Reef,
vibrant cities, superb scenery. NZ has the Maori; glaciers, active
volcanoes, thermal areas and superb scenery.

All 3 countries have friendly people. NZ and Austr are safe, and well
ordered; with excellent tourist infrastructure, medical services etc. Fiji
bubbles on the brink of political dissolution constantly, with tension very
high between the Fijian Melanesians and Fijian Indians.

Your Call!!

Old September 5th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Segue

"Charles" wrote in message
My wife and I are planning a trip to Austrlia next fall with Grand Circle.
Their extension to Ayer's Rock (Uluru) is about $1500 each for five days.
That's a lot of money just to see a big rock in the middle of a desert.

If you have been there, what is your response? Is the experience worth
that cost (I assume the expense is due to air fare for the long distance
and that lodging in the area is pretty high) or would I experience
Australia in the 21 days devoted for the rest of the trip (which includes
New Zealand and Figi)?

I await words of wisdom.

If it's a 5-day trip, you are probably going to see more than Ayers Rock.
The trip will probably include Kings Canyon and the Olgas. All magnificent.
And, it really isn't just a big rock in the middle of the desert -- it's
totally amazing, and you will hopefully see it at sunrise and at sunset,
with its magnificent changing colours.

So yes, I think it's worth it. We loved our trip there.

Segue

Old September 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Keith W

"Charles" wrote in message
My wife and I are planning a trip to Austrlia next fall with Grand Circle.
Their extension to Ayer's Rock (Uluru) is about $1500 each for five days.
That's a lot of money just to see a big rock in the middle of a desert.

If you have been there, what is your response? Is the experience worth
that cost (I assume the expense is due to air fare for the long distance
and that lodging in the area is pretty high) or would I experience
Australia in the 21 days devoted for the rest of the trip (which includes
New Zealand and Figi)?

I await words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Charles Lewis

As you say hotels there are expensive and the sir fare
is high. Personally what I did was fly into Alice
and rent a car staying in Uluru only 2 nights and then
went on to Kings Cayon and Western McDonnels

Keith

Old September 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Michael Conzo

"Charles" wrote:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Austrlia next fall with Grand Circle.
Their extension to Ayer's Rock (Uluru) is about $1500 each for five days.
That's a lot of money just to see a big rock in the middle of a desert.

If you have been there, what is your response? Is the experience worth that
cost (I assume the expense is due to air fare for the long distance and that
lodging in the area is pretty high)

You're right. It's just a rock in the desert. I grew up near the Alice,
and while it brings a lot of dosh into the community, I can think of better
things to do with $1500.

Old September 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Jeff

"Charles" wrote in message
My wife and I are planning a trip to Austrlia next fall with Grand Circle.
Their extension to Ayer's Rock (Uluru) is about $1500 each for five days.
That's a lot of money just to see a big rock in the middle of a desert.

If you have been there, what is your response? Is the experience worth
that cost (I assume the expense is due to air fare for the long distance
and that lodging in the area is pretty high) or would I experience
Australia in the 21 days devoted for the rest of the trip (which includes
New Zealand and Figi)?

I await words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Charles Lewis

Hi Charles,

YES!

It took me 45 years to get to the Red Centre and I would go again tomorrow.
Just loved it.
I would recommend travelling from Alice Springs to experience the harshness
and vastness of the outback. Fly in , fly out just doesn't seem a good way
to experience it, but I guess if you just want to see a big rock, maybe that
is the way to go.

Be sure to visit Kings Canyon and the Olgas.

cheers
Jeff
http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz

Old September 5th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Turan Fettahoglu

I'd choose one of NZ or Australia (forget Fiji) and see more of whichever
you choose. Fiji is beach, and not much more. Australia has better beaches
and islands with everything Fiji has and more; plus the Great Barrier
Reef...

Fiji cannot compete with the Great Barrier Reef, but it is a part of the
South Sea and you still can get a glimpse what life is like in a remote part
of the South Pacific.

Have a nice journey!
Turan

Old September 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Alan S

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:51:20 GMT, "AlmostBob"
wrote:

remote,, crap there is nothing left on Fiji that isnt tourist trap

You've been there? Recently? Did you rent a car, get away
from Nadi and Suva, go to any outer islands?

I was only there a week. It rained for most of it, but we
still had a great time - and we only saw the main island.

For tourists coming from the USA, I see it as a great spot
to spend a few days en-route to OZ.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Scotty

wrote:

remote,, crap there is nothing left on Fiji that isnt tourist trap

You've been there? Recently? Did you rent a car, get away
from Nadi and Suva, go to any outer islands?

I was only there a week. It rained for most of it, but we
still had a great time - and we only saw the main island.

For tourists coming from the USA, I see it as a great spot
to spend a few days en-route to OZ.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

NOt long been back from teh coral coast in Fiji, stayign at resorts etc you
just cant see the real Fiji. Geta rental car and an open mind (leave the
wads of cash in Hotel safe!) and adventure out into the real Fiji. You will
get to see that in most non touristy towns its very third world there.
People are just fantastic and they love kids. We stayed most of our time
within a resort untill final couple of days. Get out and see the REAL Fiji
and enjoy. As far as senic, theres some beautiful spots there, just have to
find them.
Do some research and ye shall find.