Visas for Laos and Cambodia

Old October 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

Default Visas for Laos and Cambodia

Hi,

Doea anyone have current information (ie. just got back from....) and
getting visas upon entry to Laos or Cambodia. I'm Canadian, and the Lao
embassy in Washington is the closest offical contact, and they just never
answer the phone. Their website say they need 20 working days to process a
visa. Yikes! I just need to know if you can get a visa upon entry at any
entry point.
I have the same question regarding Cambodia as well.

Any up-to-date info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Old October 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Larry in Berkeley

bob wrote:
Hi,

Doea anyone have current information (ie. just got back from....) and
getting visas upon entry to Laos or Cambodia. I have the same question regarding Cambodia as well.

Any up-to-date info would be much appreciated.

The US Department of State gives this sort of information for all
countries and I suspect the equivalent Canadian office does also, so it
would be worth googling for that.

US citizens can buy their visas on entry at Siem Reap -- at least we
did last January.

PS: The Royal Cambodian Embassy in the US says this for US citizens:

Q1. Can I get my visa in Cambodia?
A1. Yes, you may obtain your visa upon arrival at the two airports in
Cambodia: Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

I suggest you ask the Cambodian (and Lao) embassies. If you can't find
the Canadian ones on line, ask . and see
http://www.laoembassy.com/

Although the US site says this for Laos: Tourist visas can be obtained
upon arrival at certain entry points or before departure from the Lao
Embassy. Visa available for a stay of up to 15 days, extendable, the
Laos embassy site in the US says nothing about that. See
http://www.laoembassy.com/

I really think there is no way to get reliable information other than
by contacting the Canadian embassies (and the rules may change by the
time you get there anyway).

Larry at Morro Bay, California

Old October 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

"Larry in Berkeley" wrote in message
ps.com...

Thanks for the info. I must be going blind. I was searching for something
like this on the laoembassy wesite, but still can't find it:

Although the US site says this for Laos: Tourist visas can be obtained
upon arrival at certain entry points or before departure from the Lao
Embassy. Visa available for a stay of up to 15 days, extendable, the
Laos embassy site in the US says nothing about that. See
http://www.laoembassy.com/

I've been trying to call the Lao embassy in Washington for a couple of
weeks, but they just never answer the phone.

Old October 24th, 2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_2_]

In article , bob says...
Hi,

Doea anyone have current information (ie. just got back from....) and
getting visas upon entry to Laos or Cambodia. I'm Canadian, and the Lao
embassy in Washington is the closest offical contact, and they just never
answer the phone. Their website say they need 20 working days to process a
visa. Yikes! I just need to know if you can get a visa upon entry at any
entry point.
I have the same question regarding Cambodia as well.

Any up-to-date info would be much appreciated.

I've been to Laos two times, the first in April 2000, the second one in
December 2005. In both cases I got my visas upon arrival, in April 2000
at the Friendship bridge, in December 2005 at Vientiane airport.

In September 2000 I got a visa on arrival for Cambodia at the
Aranyaprathet border crossing between Thailand and Cambodia. I would
assume that you can still now get your visa for Cambodia upon arrival.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"bob" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi,

Doea anyone have current information (ie. just got back from....) and
getting visas upon entry to Laos or Cambodia. I'm Canadian, and the Lao
embassy in Washington is the closest offical contact, and they just never
answer the phone. Their website say they need 20 working days to process a
visa. Yikes! I just need to know if you can get a visa upon entry at any
entry point.
I have the same question regarding Cambodia as well.

Any up-to-date info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

I was in Cambodia last year and got my visa at Siem Reap upon arrival

the waiting time was about 30 minutes. due to the arrival of a few airplanes
at the same moment.-

People are very good and friendly

you will need photos though..

as to Laos.. I was there only with an excursion.
they gave me a stamp for about 1 dollar for a viist of a day.

as far as people told me.. Laos is as friendly as Thailand.
so I guess it is true you can get a visa at the border.

Only Myanmar and Vietnam require a visa that cannot be obtained upon arrival
( as far as I know )
even if getting a visa is a very simple process.

I hope Viet Nam will give visa upon arrival next year.. as I ma flying there

Old October 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

Thanks.

We got our Vietnam visas from the embassy in Ottawa, but you might want to
check on limitations and/or availability of visas upon entry. I think they
may be quite limited, if available at all.