News

Old May 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe
Michael[_1_]

Default News

Matt Casey wrote:
On May 12, 2:39 am, Michael wrote:
Tom P wrote:
Matt Casey wrote:
European cities are banning the automobile. Paris is proceeding
with plans to make the city largely traffic-free, as are Berlin, Rome,
Budapest, Munich, Athens, and all other European cities. Those old
cities were never designed for autos and Europeans were never an
automobile culture.
We use ox-carts.

Reminds me of the good old days when Usenet was swamped with stories of
Americans being spat on in the streets of France and all of Europe was
crumbling bacause Chirac vetoed an invasion of Iraq.

But as it happens, Cannes is reducing the numbers of cars this week. The
Croisette is largely close to traffic during the festival. :-)

Mhttp://cannes-or-bust.com/

See? I was right.

LOL. One street does not a trend make.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe
Martin[_11_]

Tom P wrote:
Matt Casey wrote:
European cities are banning the automobile. Paris is proceeding
with plans to make the city largely traffic-free, as are Berlin, Rome,
Budapest, Munich, Athens, and all other European cities. Those old
cities were never designed for autos and Europeans were never an
automobile culture.
We use ox-carts.
Reminds me of the good old days when Usenet was swamped with stories of
Americans being spat on in the streets of France and all of Europe was
crumbling bacause Chirac vetoed an invasion of Iraq.

But as it happens, Cannes is reducing the numbers of cars this week. The
Croisette is largely close to traffic during the festival. :-)

Mhttp://cannes-or-bust.com/

See? I was right.

LOL. One street does not a trend make.

but we have had streets blocked off and made traffic free all over the
Netherlands for the Giro d'Italia this week. For four hours we had no
access route to the local hospital and no local public transport.

I'd like streets to be made cycle race free.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin[_11_]

On 05/13/2010 02:00 PM, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010, Martin wrote:

but we have had streets blocked off and made traffic free all over the
Netherlands for the Giro d'Italia this week. For four hours we had no
access route

Surprised to hear of such a long block in a country which should be more
used to cycles than down here.

Normal cyclists use the cycle paths and don't go on the motorways )
The race caused one hour traffic jams west of Amsterdam on Sunday.

I sometimes find myself in Ligury when
the Milano-Sanremo race passes by. The urbanized area in Ligury is a
narrow strip along the coast, and most traffic (and all public
transport) goes along a single road (SS1 Aurelia). I've rarely seen a
block in a given town lasting more than half an hour, the time needed
for the race to pass such town (and since buses run every 20 min that's
almost no disruption to public transport).

I was surprised at the length of time that roads were blocked off.