Cheap and safe around the world

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Cheap and safe around the world

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
June Wong wrote:
In fact, US is amoung the most expensive, inconvenience and dangerous
place in the travel world.

Oh :-((((
And I'm thinking about possibly stopping by several American cities
(possibly LA, Seattle, Washington DC and New York) on my way back home
to Scandinavia from having been in Southeast Asia/Australia+New Zealand
and Japan....

Is it really that bad?

Not terrible, just worse than elsewhere. But the big cities are pretty
convenient. And it's a very interesting country, so still worth the trip.

Aren't there any cheap backpacker places around in those cities?

There are some, but not nearly the choice you'll find elsewhere.
www.hostels.com has quite thorough listings.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:32 PM

I think the only thing that most people can definitely agree on is not to
bring too much.

Yes..... Ive heard that many times as well Miguel.

Im curious.... do you have any advice on packs to buy?
What brand or model?
Old September 16th, 2003, 05:17 PM
June

I will bring 1-2 nice and easy to carry dresses, and at least one (if not
two) lipstick.
I also brought some small souvenirs from hometown (i.e. China) with me for
exchange/ as gift to people met on the road in my last travel. Some photos
of friends/ from where you live are also nice.

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Joe MacKay

Do a Google search for "Universal Packing List". Probably best not to take
it too deadly seriously, but its a good place to start and includes lots of
great little ideas one might not think of on one's own (at least I
certainly didn't). Sadly, I don't think there's a key list out there as to
what not to take.

As for a pack, I did three months is Europe recently with a 65 litre travel
pack and I'll never do it again. Too heavy, too bulky, and inconveniently
shaped. That said, I'm probably gonna pick up a 45 or so litre top loading
pack for my next trip, and I'll no doubt find things to regret about that
as well. Just buy the smallest pack you can possibly imagine taking that'll
still have a little room left over in it--for food, souvenirs, etc. Make
sure you have a decent day pack as well. As for specifics, I suspect it
doesn't matter too much, so long as you're not doing anything specialized
(diving, rock climbing, etc). Lots of packs/pocket knives/whatever else are
great for lots of difference reasons. So just buy what looks like it'll
serve your needs. Undoubtedly, you'll regret some of these decisions for
reasons no one could have foreseen (I have no idea what pack is best for
trekking to the Everest base camp). And you know what? If you planned
right, you won't care much compared to whatever you're doing at the time.
The equipment is only going to matter so much compared to bigger decisions,
like where to go, what do do, etc--so long as you don't radically over
burden your self, or leave wildly underprepared. More important to do your
research than to pack three kinds of thermal underwear. And for God's sake,
don't worry and have a good time. Whatever it is, you can certainly throw
it away, (or maybe buy it) along the way.

Good luck
Joe

wrote:

I've read this thread with interest as I'm in the midst of planning a
trip like that myself, so I have loads of questions myself, and I
believe also some answers.

Yes this IS a very interesting thread!!

Questions tho..... Im interested in the nuts and bolts
of what "equipment" to start getting for such a trip.
What backpack or travel pack..... clothes..... gear...
etc.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the things
worth getting and taking....and what NOT to take?

Id like very specific recommendations on gear if that
is at all possible

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Miguel Cruz

Joe MacKay wrote:
The equipment is only going to matter so much compared to bigger decisions,
like where to go, what do do, etc--so long as you don't radically over
burden your self, or leave wildly underprepared. More important to do your
research than to pack three kinds of thermal underwear. And for God's sake,
don't worry and have a good time. Whatever it is, you can certainly throw
it away, (or maybe buy it) along the way.

That's important to remember. You can buy pretty much anything anywhere (at
least in the capital city), so there's no point agonizing for too long over
traveling inventory.

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Miguel Cruz

John wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
I think the only thing that most people can definitely agree on is not to
bring too much.

Yes..... Ive heard that many times as well Miguel.

Im curious.... do you have any advice on packs to buy?
What brand or model?

Sorry, not so much. I bought my pack over a decade ago an it's served me
well ever since (okay, I admit it's finally starting to wear out, so I'm
going to have to face the question too sooner or later). The company that
made it seems to be out of the business.

There several big decisions to make:

1. Front-loading vs top-loading. Front-loading is useful because you have
instance access to everything, and don't have to unpack it all just to get
at one thing. On the other hand, with top-loading packs you can squeeze a
lot more into the same space.

2. Size. Giant bags lead you to carry a lot of stuff, which means you won't
be able to walk as far, or climb nimbly in and out of ferries, buses and
trains. That's bad. On the other hand a bag that's too small means you're
going to start carrying a bunch of little bags which is bad too. So go as
small as you can while remaining realistic.

3. Internal vs external frame. These days the good internal frame bags are
really well-designed so I don't see a big reason to go external frame
anymore. Used to be you could get much more walking time out of an
external-frame pack because they were structured to distribute weight
better.

4. Convertible vs non. Some backpacks can be converted into a normal-looking
piece of softside luggage. This is handy for when you temporarily want to
look respectable (asking favors at a fancy hotel, crossing a tetchy border),
and it's good for when your bag is traveling as cargo (no straps to get
caught), but it comes at the expense of some comfort the rest of the time,
if only because of the extra weight.

Each of those is sort of a personal choice. I go for front-loading,
medium-sized, internal, convertible myself. But I readily understand the
rationale for almost any other combination.

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:18 PM

The only thing I'll add is mobile phone and GPS, neither are necessary
though... (and the GPS isn't even that useful, I just like the result
I get at the end of where I've been.)

Ivew wondered abt the two above......especialy a GPS
unit

Is a GPS unit a worthy thing to carry?