NBC TV News Negatively Discusses Take-Offs & Landings Safety

Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default NBC TV News Negatively Discusses Take-Offs & Landings Safety

www.msnbc.com

A note about Brian Williams' report because I have not yet seen a
similar note.

I regret being a paranoiac; but this stuff has always been my concern
as a civilian observer of the phenomena.

I recall birds were ingested into Electras once (or twice) causing a
Boston disaster in the mid 1950s.

Since Blue Grass, I will not take such reports disinterestedly nor
casually.

Do not slough me off, because I'm older and recall more harsh reality
f-ups than most of ye younguns.

The time a plane crashed in Paulding County, I think I was driving on
I-75 in Cobb County nearby.

I think Murphy's Law happened at Blue Grass, and the NBC report says
there are more near-misses out here at over half the U.S. airports.

And they say
it won't be solved with better technology for several more years (if
ever).

Remind myself
to tell my wife about this latest news report
the next time we discuss our accumulation of
Sky Miles and plan for a dream trip.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

"Robert Cohen" wrote:

Remind myself
to tell my wife about this latest news report
the next time we discuss our accumulation of
Sky Miles and plan for a dream trip.

Unless you simply don't like taking vacations with our wife, and given the
even worse safety record of auto travel, the only option is to hide under
your bed, since life is dangerous ... and you might get hit by lightning if
you venture outside.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

throw salt over your shoulder or whatever

say "jinx" or something

cross thy fingers

do not glibly push the other jerk's superstitious/irrational envelope

BLUE GRASSES HAPPEN

Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

NBC's recent story about half of airports' runways not meeting FAA
standards:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15542143/

fflyer wrote:
"Robert Cohen" wrote:

[...]

Well, there have been great improvements in aviation safety, in part
thanks to the lessons learned from past accidents, but the problem is
that there are just so many more flights nowadays that the law of
statistics says X number of them are going to be involved in some kind
of incident. While we are overall safer today, we're living in times
when instead of running three 747s daily on a route airlines are
running 10 737s/757s or 20 regional jets, and the increased number of
flights unfortunately means there is a great chance of something
happening. The skies are just incredibly crowded, and some airspaces
like NYC and LA are so overcrowded it's a miracle there isn't at least
one crash daily.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel

Robert Cohen wrote:
NBC's recent story about half of airports' runways not meeting FAA
standards:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15542143/

Maybe that is why CO decided taxiways were better.
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker[_1_]

"Robert Cohen" wrote in message
oups.com...
www.msnbc.com

A note about Brian Williams' report because I have not yet seen a
similar note.

I regret being a paranoiac; but this stuff has always been my concern
as a civilian observer of the phenomena.

I recall birds were ingested into Electras once (or twice) causing a
Boston disaster in the mid 1950s.

Eastern Air Lines, BOS, late 1959. There were other Electra crashes for
various reasons ("whirl mode") but only one for birds.

Jeff