buyimg and posting a didgereridoo (spelling??) to UK

Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Wee Peem

Default buyimg and posting a didgereridoo (spelling??) to UK

Hi, Going to be in Sydney and Brisbane in the next month and am wanting to
get a didgeridoo to bring home. Where is the best place to get one from?? a
trad one not a mass produced if there is such a thing.

And also what sort of money do u think I would look at to post back to UK???
As I dont want to carry it on the plane or store in the baggage.

Thanks.
Please email to me at

George

Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"Wee Peem" wrote in message
Hi, Going to be in Sydney and Brisbane in the next month and am wanting to
get a didgeridoo to bring home. Where is the best place to get one from??
a trad one not a mass produced if there is such a thing.

And also what sort of money do u think I would look at to post back to
UK??? As I dont want to carry it on the plane or store in the baggage.

Thanks.
Please email to me at

George

Some places help u make ur own. U could find one i tried to but no luck.
**** paying $100s for one. Just use a tube

--

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk
www.simcard.me.uk

Will post to USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Germany, France.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Stimp

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 www.poms.co.uk wrote:
"Wee Peem" wrote in message
Hi, Going to be in Sydney and Brisbane in the next month and am wanting to
get a didgeridoo to bring home. Where is the best place to get one from??
a trad one not a mass produced if there is such a thing.

And also what sort of money do u think I would look at to post back to
UK??? As I dont want to carry it on the plane or store in the baggage.

Thanks.
Please email to me at

George

Some places help u make ur own. U could find one i tried to but no luck.
**** paying $100s for one. Just use a tube

There are loads of shops in Kings Cross, Sydney that sell some fairly
decent didges quite cheaply

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
Geoff Lillico

The Rocks area has a few shops which state that the instruments are
traditionally crafted. They will post them home for you.

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:06 AM
Tom

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:41:37 +0000 (UTC), "Wee Peem"
wrote:

And also what sort of money do u think I would look at to post back to UK???
As I dont want to carry it on the plane or store in the baggage.

A couple of years ago when I did some tourist trips I found that most
of the shops would pack and send it for around $A100.00 anywhere in
the world.

You will find the smaller shops and/or individuals will not have any
arrangment with the courier companies so usually don't pack/send for
you.

Tom
Old July 23rd, 2005, 03:44 AM
Petra

"Geoff Lillico" wrote in news:42e1685a$1_1
@news.iprimus.com.au:

The Rocks area has a few shops which state that the instruments are
traditionally crafted. They will post them home for you.

We went into an Aboriginal art centre in the Rocks and asked what
percentage of their sales went to Aboriginals. The salespeople had no
idea (and didn't really seem to care). I think there are better places
if you want to be sure the people who actually *make* these things get
their fare share.

Petra
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:44 AM
Peter Webb

"Petra" wrote in message
7.135...
"Geoff Lillico" wrote in news:42e1685a$1_1
@news.iprimus.com.au:

The Rocks area has a few shops which state that the instruments are
traditionally crafted. They will post them home for you.

We went into an Aboriginal art centre in the Rocks and asked what
percentage of their sales went to Aboriginals. The salespeople had no
idea (and didn't really seem to care). I think there are better places
if you want to be sure the people who actually *make* these things get
their fare share.

Petra

Do you ask the percentage of the cost that goes to production workers when
you buy all your goods?

For example, when buying a can of tomatoes, do you ask the check-out chick
about the farm gate wholesale price of tomataoes, and whether the pickers
were paid award rates or piece-work rates? In the shoe shop, do you enquire
about the wages of Sri Lankan factory workers? When buying bus tickets, do
you ask how much the bus drivers are paid?

Tell me this as well; did you wonder as to the meaning of that great
Australian word "******" that presumably you heard so often on your visit?

Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:48 AM
Jeff

"Petra" wrote in message
7.135...
"Geoff Lillico" wrote in news:42e1685a$1_1
@news.iprimus.com.au:

The Rocks area has a few shops which state that the instruments are
traditionally crafted. They will post them home for you.

We went into an Aboriginal art centre in the Rocks and asked what
percentage of their sales went to Aboriginals. The salespeople had no
idea (and didn't really seem to care). I think there are better places
if you want to be sure the people who actually *make* these things get
their fare share.

Petra

oh come one, they are all made in indonesia now anyhow.
if you want to buy the real thing, then go to a community art galley in the
outback ( not Sydney) , then you will have a real experience to talk about
when you get home.

Cheers
Jeff

Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
Jan

Jeff wrote:
"Petra" wrote in message
7.135...
"Geoff Lillico" wrote in news:42e1685a$1_1
@news.iprimus.com.au:

The Rocks area has a few shops which state that the instruments are
traditionally crafted. They will post them home for you.

We went into an Aboriginal art centre in the Rocks and asked what
percentage of their sales went to Aboriginals. The salespeople had no
idea (and didn't really seem to care). I think there are better
places if you want to be sure the people who actually *make* these
things get their fare share.

Petra

oh come one, they are all made in indonesia now anyhow.
if you want to buy the real thing, then go to a community art galley
in the outback ( not Sydney) , then you will have a real experience
to talk about when you get home.

Cheers
Jeff

Bought mine in Alice Springs, the gallery wrapped it in paper and plastic
bubble wrap.The shop said they are hardier than tourists think!!! I still
though, wrapped around more newspaper as I read them. At check in Cairns
Qantas assured me they were used to carrying didges and would look after
it. And Yes it arrived safely back to the UK with the rest of our baggage.

Jan

Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
Jeff

"Jan" wrote in message
[...]