Bus tour of Germany

Old March 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L

Default Bus tour of Germany

We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:59:18 GMT, Cathy L wrote:

We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

Oh bloody hell, here we go again!

Someone remind me, what was the total number of posts last time round?

Gerry

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jan[_1_]

Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:59:18 GMT, Cathy L wrote:

We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

Oh bloody hell, here we go again!

That's exactly what I thought!!!

Jazn

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Mar 28, 8:59 am, Cathy L wrote:
We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

I have, many years ago. And I hope I never do again. You are herded
around like cattle, going here and there, taking pictures, then going
again.

Germany is easy to get around, take the train or rent a car. Unless
you are mobility challenged, do it yourself with a good guide book.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Mar 28, 10:59 am, Cathy L wrote:
We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany.

Somehow I didn't think your next trip would be hitchhiking across
Uganda...

Has anyone taken one of these?

After your last experience, you still want to take another bus tour?
Just get a rail pass and arrange the hotels yourself - much cheaper,
and you will have a lot more opportunity to focus on places that
interest you rather than rushing around, being on the bus a lot of the
time, and only getting to see the major tourist sights.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
NOName

On 28 Mar 2007 09:54:26 -0700, "PeterL" wrote:

On Mar 28, 8:59 am, Cathy L wrote:
We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

I have, many years ago. And I hope I never do again. You are herded
around like cattle, going here and there, taking pictures, then going
again.

Germany is easy to get around, take the train or rent a car. Unless
you are mobility challenged, do it yourself with a good guide book.

I have never taken a bus tour but have observed those who have often
enough.

The tour bus stops at some "sight," the tour guide marches the
passengers quickly to view a fountain or statue or whatever, the
passengers then are marched back to the bus. On to the next.
Meanwhile I am enjoying a coffee in a pleasant cafe and having
no problem at all exploring in a leisurely manner all on my own.
And feeling sympathy for the hapless folks who joined that tour.

Traveling on one's own is easy in Europe. It does require some
research all of which is readily available on the web or in a guide
book or two.

Oh, and the tour guide will make sure you do spend time at shops
where he or she gets a commission for the goods you purchase.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:08:14 +0100, Gerald Oliver Swift
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:59:18 GMT, Cathy L wrote:

We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

Oh bloody hell, here we go again!

Someone remind me, what was the total number of posts last time round?

Gerry

Availability of bathrooms 255
Nearest McDonald's 200 (plus or minus 5)
Is Cathy a troll? 199

Keith, Bristol, UK
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Mar 28, 8:59 am, Cathy L wrote:
We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

I have, many years ago. And I hope I never do again. You are herded
around like cattle, going here and there, taking pictures, then going
again.

Germany is easy to get around, take the train or rent a car. Unless
you are mobility challenged, do it yourself with a good guide book.

I have never taken a bus tour but have observed those who have often
enough.

The tour bus stops at some "sight," the tour guide marches the
passengers quickly to view a fountain or statue or whatever, the
passengers then are marched back to the bus. On to the next.

While I hope I never take a bus tour again, it's not as bad as you
make it out to be. On our trip we were never "marched" anywhere.
Sure there are time constraints but there are also a lot of free
time.

Meanwhile I am enjoying a coffee in a pleasant cafe and having
no problem at all exploring in a leisurely manner all on my own.
And feeling sympathy for the hapless folks who joined that tour.

During our bus tour we had plenty of time in pleasant cafes. there
are some advantages to using a tour company. On really popular sights
you don't have to wait in the long lines, and you get to go through
when some sites are not open to other tourists. The trade off is that
you can take as much time as you wish if you are on your own.

Old March 28th, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

"Cathy L" wrote in message
We are thinking of taking a Cosmos or Globus tour of Germany. Has
anyone taken one of these?

Cathy L

Just do it. But don't ask any questions until you get there.

Cheers,

George W Russell
Bangalore-am-Rhein