new possible fraud to look out for

Old March 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

Default new possible fraud to look out for

someone hangs around hotel lobby and notes the room you go to, then
rings you pretending to be "the desk" and asks you to repeat the
credit card details you gave them. Supposed to be happening in US,
worth noting.
--
Mike Reid
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

The Reid wrote:

someone hangs around hotel lobby and notes the room you go to, then
rings you pretending to be "the desk" and asks you to repeat the
credit card details you gave them. Supposed to be happening in US,
worth noting.

I'm suspicious by nature - my response would be
"I'll be right there"! (Especially in another country,
where even if the clerk speaks English, he/she they might
not understand spoken numbers.)
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On 30 Mar 2007 17:03:31 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

(The Reid) wrote in
:

someone hangs around hotel lobby and notes the room you go to, then
rings you pretending to be "the desk" and asks you to repeat the
credit card details you gave them. Supposed to be happening in US,
worth noting.

I don't stay in hotels often, but the few times I've had to recently,
the clerks have made a rather elaborate production out of giving the
room number in a way that could not be overheard or observed by
anyone but me. They usually write the number on the inside of the
folder which has the key or keycard.

Reply by asking them what credit card details do they have?
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:00:11 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

someone hangs around hotel lobby and notes the room you go to, then
rings you pretending to be "the desk" and asks you to repeat the
credit card details you gave them. Supposed to be happening in US,
worth noting.

So stay in travelodge, you pay for your room online before you arrive!
you won't get caught!

Jim.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:12:38 +0100,
"John" has scripted:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(irwell) wrote in
:

If you insist on actually trying to engage these people in
conversation,

What the hell does that mean Bert?

You're not one of these ignorant americans who visit any country inthe world
and expect them to speak your language are you?

Did you actually read the rest of the thread?
--
---
DFM -
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:55:51 +0200, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Make credence recognised that on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:12:38 +0100,
"John" has scripted:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(irwell) wrote in
:

If you insist on actually trying to engage these people in
conversation,

What the hell does that mean Bert?

You're not one of these ignorant americans who visit any country inthe world
and expect them to speak your language are you?

Did you actually read the rest of the thread?
--
---
DFM -
http://www.deepfriedmars.com