Questions about Cruising to Bermuda

Old June 5th, 2006, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Questions about Cruising to Bermuda

I travelled to Bermuda (on a shoe stringbudget) 20 years ago, and my wife
and I plan on returning next month on a RC cruise. I know there a lot of
private beaches for the major resorts - I just want to make sure there are
adequate public beaches/snorkelling opportunites for cruiser ship
travellers. Any feedback regarding popular spots near Hamilton, St Georges
and the Dockyard would be greatly appreciated.

We're booked on the Empress of Seas. I was hoping to book the Explorer, but
that is only a 5 dayer, and we want to do 7 days. Any comments on the
age/condition of the Empress?

Thanks,

Bob D.

Old June 5th, 2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , Bob D
wrote:

I travelled to Bermuda (on a shoe stringbudget) 20 years ago, and my wife
and I plan on returning next month on a RC cruise. I know there a lot of
private beaches for the major resorts - I just want to make sure there are
adequate public beaches/snorkelling opportunites for cruiser ship
travellers. Any feedback regarding popular spots near Hamilton, St Georges
and the Dockyard would be greatly appreciated.

From Hamilton, Horseshoe Bay is a well known popular public beach with
facilities and umbrella and chair rentals. Very beautiful. A favorite
of mine that could get crowded. Take a bus or taxi. At St. George here
is Tobbaco Bay which is a small beach with good snorkelling. Take a
taxi or walk. At the Dockyard there is the Snorkel Park. I have not
been to the snorkel park. You can also get to Horseshoe from the
Dockyard by bus or taxi. There are many other beaches on Bermuda, I
just mentioned the most popular. No shortage of great beaches.

--
Charles
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Bob D" wrote:

I travelled to Bermuda (on a shoe stringbudget) 20 years ago, and my wife
and I plan on returning next month on a RC cruise. I know there a lot of
private beaches for the major resorts - I just want to make sure there are
adequate public beaches/snorkelling opportunites for cruiser ship
travellers. Any feedback regarding popular spots near Hamilton, St Georges
and the Dockyard would be greatly appreciated.

According to
http://www.bermuda-online.org/beaches.htm

.. Some beaches - like the famous Natural Arches beach - are private,
open to guests of the Mid Ocean Club - or the relevant private owner
or hotel - only. Only staying guests - or others, including or cruise
ship passengers by special arrangement - may use private beaches and
their facilities above the high water mark.

But know that all beaches and waters are public - not private - from
the sea and up to (but not in excess of) their high water mark. This
means they can be approached and accessed by boat providing neither
the boat nor the passengers are above the high water mark. The public
beaches are open from sunrise to sunset. Public beaches are without
the off beach and water sports facilities of private beaches.

Public beaches are all owned by the Bermuda taxpayer and
operated/cleaned by the Bermuda Government from whom all particulars
about any specific beach should be obtained. They are free to the
general public from dawn to sunset. Only two of these beaches have a
beach bar. Most Bermuda beaches are family beaches, sometimes with
nearby basic restaurants franchised from the Bermuda Government but
usually with no bars. An exception is at Tobacco Bay in St. George's.
Note that some public beaches were heavily damaged by hurricane in
September 2003. See under "Hurricanes" in Climate/Weather.

Note that some public beaches may have a basic toilet but others will
not. None have changing rooms or showers.

Private beaches owned by hotels are reserved for use by registered
guests only - not the general public - or by special arrangement
directly and solely between them and cruise ship operators. They all
have licensed beach bars, often with full-service tourist restaurants
either on the beach as well as the bars, or nearby. They have
changing rooms and showers for their staying guests only.

Public Beaches in Geographic order from St. Georges Parish to the
Dockyard

St. Georges Parish

* Buildings Bay. Barry Road, St. George's Parish. Public. Not best
for swimming, with so many spectacular beaches nearby, but
interesting.
* Clearwater Beach and Park, Cooper's Island, off St. David's
Island, is a 36 acre public park site. It was re-opened to the public
on May 24, 1996 after 54 years as a US military reserve. It has
pebbles in places, unlike most other Bermuda beaches. There are also
nature trails, playground equipment and views of some outer islands
reserved for wildlife. But a source of concern to environmentalists
from the USA and elsewhere is that close to Clearwater Beach, there
are hundreds of containers of asbestos, some there since 1995.
* Adjacent is Turtle Bay (public), outside the now closed NASA
station, also outstanding and with pebbles, but like Clearwater, not
on a bus route.
* Fort St. Catherine Beach. Public. Northeast of the town of St.
George. Very nice, with Fort St. Catherine dominating the skyline
behind the beach. Has a beach bar.
* Mullet Bay. Off Mullet Bay Road, Mullet Bay. Man-made, public, a
small beach not as good as some others less than three miles away, but
adequate. Part of Mullet Bay Park.
* Tobacco Bay. North of the town of St. George, at Coot Pond Road.
Public. Very nice, with several beach areas, however not on a bus
route. But be aware that only about a mile out to sea, untreated
sewage from the Town of St. George is piped out in huge quantities.
Has a beach bar.

Hamilton Parish [NOT the city of Hamilton]

* Bay Island Beach. Off North Shore, on Bay Island off Bailey's
Bay. Two very small public beaches on this island are nice, but almost
submerged at high tide. Best time is in the morning if the tide is
low. Swim out.
* Blue Hole Hill Park. Off Blue Hole Hill. Public but hard to
find. Castle Harbor. Sand and mud.
* Shelly Bay. Off North Shore Road. Public. Very shallow water,
even at high tide. Safe. Attractive.

Smith's Parish
* John Smith's Bay. South Shore, off South Road. Public. Superb. A
personal favorite. Lifeguard on duty. Soft drinks, snacks, fast food,
etc. are often available from a licensed purveyor in a van on the
premises. On September 5, 2003 Hurricane Fabian caused extensive
damage, requiring substantial civil re-engineering in 2004. Use
caution

Devonshire Parish
* Devonshire Bay. South Shore, off South Road. Public. Nice for
families with small children.

Pembroke Parish [City of Hamilton]
* Clarence Cove. North Shore, Admiralty House Park, Spanish Point.
Two small North Shore beaches, in an exquisite lagoon-like setting.
Public. Not for the disabled.
* Deep Bay. North Shore. Off North Shore Road, just before the
eastern part of Admiralty House Park, Spanish Point. Public. Hard to
find, but worth it. Not for the disabled.
* Spanish Point Park. Stovell Bay. At the western end of Spanish
Point. Public. Different.

Paget Parish
* Elbow Beach. South Shore, off South Road. In two sections, one
is private and superb for those who can afford to stay at the hotel by
the same name, or guests of certain other local hotel properties. The
other section is public, with access via a public road only.

Warwick Parish
* Astwood Cove and Park. South Shore, off South Road. Public.
Lovely.
* Chaplin Bay (part). South Shore, off South Road. Public.
Exceptional.
* Jobson's Cove. South Shore, off South Road. Public. Very
attractive. Rock encircled.
* Stonehole Bay. South Shore, off South Road. Public. Small, but
gorgeous.
* Warwick Long Bay. South Shore, off South Road. Public. Superb.
A personal favorite. Bermuda's longest.

Southampton Parish
* Chaplin Bay (part). South Shore, off South Road. Public.
Excellent.
* Church Bay. South Shore, off South Road. Public. Very
attractive.
* Horseshoe Bay, on the South Shore, off South Road, public,
superb. It has a lifeguard on duty from May to September, with a light
restaurant and changing facilities. Rated by USA Today in 2004 as a
favorite Valentine's Day getaway for sweethearts.
* Peel Bay. Next to Horseshoe Bay. South Shore, off South Road.
Public. Small but superb.
* Sinky Bay. South Shore, Public. Nice.
* Turtle Bay. South Shore, off South Road, west of Church Bay.
Public. Very nice.
* West Whale Bay. South Shore, off Whale Bay Road and Middle Road.
Public. Very nice.

Sandys Parish (Dockyard)
* Black Bay. Off Malabar Road, Ireland Island. Three tiny beaches,
only visible at low tide. Public. Pleasant, but not sheltered.
* Callaghan Bay. Off Ratteray Lane off Somerset Road, Somerset
Island. Public. Small. Nice.
* Daniel's Head Village. Daniel's Head. Lovely, one public and the
others private, many lovely beaches on this 17 acre area, at this
now-closed hotel with its huts in the ocean.
* Mangrove Bay. Near Somerset Village. Two beaches, one public,
the other one, closer to the former ferry dock, private.
* Parsons Bay. Craddock Road, Ireland Island. Public. Small,
interesting, off the beaten track.
* Somerset Long Bay. Long Bay Road. Two beaches, both public. Very
photogenic. Shallow and tranquil waters.

Old June 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I would buy a bus pass for the time you are there. Taxis are pricey
and renting mopeds isn't really a good idea unless you are used to
driving left and riding one.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Bob D
wrote:

I travelled to Bermuda (on a shoe stringbudget) 20 years ago, and my
wife
and I plan on returning next month on a RC cruise. I know there a
lot of
private beaches for the major resorts - I just want to make sure
there are
adequate public beaches/snorkelling opportunites for cruiser ship
travellers. Any feedback regarding popular spots near Hamilton, St
Georges
and the Dockyard would be greatly appreciated.

From Hamilton, Horseshoe Bay is a well known popular public beach with

Old June 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article . com,
LeeNY wrote:

Beautiful beach, yes. But, for us, seeing it the one time was enough.
Way, way, way too crowded. A little farther west was Church Bay which
was more our speed. It's a smaller beach but had some great snorkeling
not too far off the shore. And, some vendors did show up with some
basic beach necessaties for rent/purchase.

If you move away from the area where the facilities are at Horseshoe it
is a lot less crowded.

We really liked Tobacco Bay up in St. Georges area, as well. There was
some great snorkeling. Also accesible using the bus system.

Tobacco Bay is not accesible using the bus system. There is a shuttle
fromm the town square which is I think $3 a person. A taxi from the
dock in St. George was about $7 for the whole cab so if you are more
than one person the taxi makes the most sense.

For anyone cruising, or visiting Bermuda, I highly, highly suggest
investing (and it's not much of an investment) in the bus pass. It'll
really get you anywhere in Bermuda that you need to go.

If you are hopping on and off buses and using ferries the pass makes
sense. But if you are going direct and back, buying tokens is even
cheaper. I spent $5 on tokens to get to Horseshoe Beach and back from
Hamilton. I spent $5 on tokens to get to Bailys Crossroads, (Crystal
Caves and Swizzle Inn) from St. George. That is less than spending $28
on a three day bus pass. Getting to Tobacoo Bay and back from the ship
by cab cost me $4.

--
Charles
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , jcz
wrote:

I would buy a bus pass for the time you are there. Taxis are pricey
and renting mopeds isn't really a good idea unless you are used to
driving left and riding one.

If you have four people or more taxis become affordable.

--
Charles
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I'm sure you're right. I was on my own there, so busses made better
sense for me.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...