to see maple turn red in Vancouver

Old September 28th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Sherry

Default to see maple turn red in Vancouver

Hi All,

Could someone tell me when will be the best time to fly to Vancouver to
see maple this autumn? And some suggestions on what park/part of
Vancouver? Thanks! All other tips are also appreciated!!

Sherry

Old September 28th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Dancing Waters

Sherry wrote in message ...
Hi All,

Could someone tell me when will be the best time to fly to Vancouver to
see maple this autumn? And some suggestions on what park/part of
Vancouver? Thanks! All other tips are also appreciated!!

Sherry

There is a maple tree in the center of the Japanese garden at UBC that
will turn red at 2:37 PM this coming Wednesday. Try to be there on
time. The elaves fall off 5 minutes later.
Old September 28th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Dave Smith

Sherry wrote:

Could someone tell me when will be the best time to fly to Vancouver to
see maple this autumn? And some suggestions on what park/part of
Vancouver? Thanks! All other tips are also appreciated!!

Vancouver is not the place to go to see maples in their fall colours. The
best places for that are central Ontario, southern Quebec and the New
England States. This is usually the time for Ontario and Quebec, though
things seem to be a slightly delayed this year.

Old September 28th, 2003, 11:53 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
Sherry wrote:

Could someone tell me when will be the best time to fly to Vancouver to
see maple this autumn? And some suggestions on what park/part of
Vancouver? Thanks! All other tips are also appreciated!!

Vancouver is not the place to go to see maples in their fall colours. The
best places for that are central Ontario, southern Quebec and the New
England States. This is usually the time for Ontario and Quebec, though
things seem to be a slightly delayed this year.

While I agree with the above, we do have a lot of maples here in the
Puget Sound area,
though they are mostly planted varieties. The two natives are vine
maple (showing color now) and bigleaf maple (starting to turn.) But the
Arboretum in Seattle has spectacular fall color, generally late in
October, and I would assume Queen Elizabeth Park and Stanley Park in
Vancouver would be the same. Someone from BC could answer more
specifically though.

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Sherry

Thanks a lot for the tips. That sounds very good to me already since I
grew up in tropical area and have never been to the north. We are going
to Seattle/Vancouver anyway this year, and I guess we better start
packing now. I hope I could see maple in Ontario and Quebec someday
too. Thank you all very much for the help.

Old September 29th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Dave Smith

Sherry wrote:

Thanks a lot for the tips. That sounds very good to me already since I
grew up in tropical area and have never been to the north. We are going
to Seattle/Vancouver anyway this year, and I guess we better start
packing now. I hope I could see maple in Ontario and Quebec someday
too. Thank you all very much for the help.

For future reference Sherry, The west coast mountains are forested mainly
with softwoods. Evergreens, obviously, stay green. Aspens and poplar turn
yellow, and you will see patches of them in the mountains. It is the
hardwood trees where you see the displays of colours, especially the maples,
which vary. They may turn yellow, red or orange. While hardwood forests
range further south, the change is slower. Here in the Niagara area, the
colour change is gradual, but further north the change is compressed into a
shorter period, so it is much more dramatic when it happens, which is
usually late September.