Beer joints in Paris

Old March 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Earl Evleth

Default Beer joints in Paris

The usual café in Paris will have a small number of
standard bottled beers and several drafts (called "pression").

The really large collection of beers are at specialty
places around town which are Belge in character.

For example, "La Gueuze" on the rue Soufflot (19) in the
5th, near the Jardin Luxembourg, is Belge in character
and has a dozen or so draft beers, plus maybe 200 bottled
international beers, even "Bud" for the Americans.
For those interested, there is an internet place near
by o the same rue but the quartier Latin have a number.

As beer drinkers know les Belges have some crazy beers
(one is named "Mort Subite" or "sudden death") although
my taste is for Leffe on draft.

Draft beers are served in .25, .50 and 1 iiter quantities
at about 4, 8 and 16 euros.

Since I drink slowly and like my beer cool I never order over
a 1/2 liter, sometimes just sequential 0.25 liters, known for
some reason as a "demi". Two usually suffices and three
will set me back.

These Belge places also serve food, moules-frites is the favorite.
Usually this is much better than pub type food in England but that
is a matter of choice.

Another Belge place, La Marine, is up on the avenue de Montparnasse
near the corner with rue de Rennes next to the Pizza Pino!
The Marine had a fine Czech Pilsner on draft but I have not
checked lately.

Earl

Old March 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM
zinzan

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:40:23 +0200, Earl Evleth
wrote:

I never order over
a 1/2 liter, sometimes just sequential 0.25 liters, known for
some reason as a "demi".

Yes, that's because it's half a pint of beer.

Old March 30th, 2004, 02:22 PM
jcoulter

zinzan wrote in
:

wrote:

I never order over
a 1/2 liter, sometimes just sequential 0.25 liters, known for
some reason as a "demi".

Yes, that's because it's half a pint of beer.

so why and since when, do the French use British units to determine the
nicknames for their glasses? It is more likely that it is a demi becasue it
is half of a "standard" .5L glass, but . . .

From: A Dictionary of Units of Measurement
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictD.html

Demi [2]
an informal French unit of volume for beer, generally equal to 250
milliliters (1/4 liter). The unit was originally a half pint (demipinte).

--
Tim C.
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Tim Challenger

wrote:

I never order over
a 1/2 liter, sometimes just sequential 0.25 liters, known for
some reason as a "demi".

Yes, that's because it's half a pint of beer.

so why and since when, do the French use British

Who says they were British? The original measurements were often based on
Roman and older measurements, so they shared a common orign.

units to determine the
nicknames for their glasses? It is more likely that it is a demi becasue it
is half of a "standard" .5L glass, but . . .

What do you think they used before decimalisation?
The Germans, for example still use Zoll (inch) and pfund (pound although it
is now decimalised to 500g). The Schuh was an old measurement. And you
occasionally hear mention of "Fuss" (foot ~30cm).
I don't see why the French had it any differently.

--
Tim C.
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Mike O'sullivan

"jcoulter" wrote in message
zinzan wrote in

so why and since when, do the French use British units to determine the
nicknames for their glasses?

Of even more imortance is - why do French trains drive on the left?

Old March 30th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Tim Challenger

Some more useless historical stuff:
from Sizes http://www.sizes.com/units/index.htm

pinta - The name given to the liter in Milan when it adopted the metric
system in 1803.

pinte
2 - I n France, 931 milliliters (about 0.984 U.S. liquid pints).
--
Tim C.

From: A Dictionary of Units of Measurement
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictD.html

Demi [2]
an informal French unit of volume for beer, generally equal to 250
milliliters (1/4 liter). The unit was originally a half pint (demipinte).

I had assumed the same thing. Some of the older measurements are still
used in popular culture. If one asks for "un livre" it is close
enough to 500 grams that nobody care.

Earl

Old March 30th, 2004, 03:52 PM
zinzan

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:16:08 +0000 (UTC), "Mike O'sullivan"
wrote:

Of even more imortance is - why do French trains drive on the left?

Even more important question : Why french beer joints don't sell draft
Caffrey's ?
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Earl Evleth

On 30/03/04 16:19, in article
, "Tim Challenger"
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

Some more useless historical stuff:
from Sizes
http://www.sizes.com/units/index.htm

pinta - The name given to the liter in Milan when it adopted the metric
system in 1803.

pinte
2 - I n France, 931 milliliters (about 0.984 U.S. liquid pints).

Hopefully we can get back to the beer itself!

What do you prefer in beers??

Earl